Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 10:02 AM

5 posts, read 11,554 times

Advertisements

This may seem like a strange subject, but I'm a very tall girl (1.9m) and I have enough problems getting clothes big enough for me in the UK...

I'm looking to do a TEFL course and then work as a TEFL teacher in Mexico, starting in Guadalajara and then going where the work takes me. From my time as a tourist in Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina I towered over most of the locals (and ALL of the women) and I was something of a novelty - favourite example being when a local guy linked arms with me outside Recoleta Cemetery and started humming the Wedding March...

For 2 months it wasn't an issue as we were travelling and I was living out of a rucksack, but it's different when you're living and working somewhere. Am I doomed to suffer chronic back pain using furniture built for shorter people and to wear cropped trousers (I swear they were created to mock me - it's always a challenge to get trousers long enough) / shorts / skirts that make me look like a hooker (decent on you, less decent on me) while I'm there?

Is it practical to visit the US for shopping or is the cost prohibitive?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 01:26 PM

155 posts, read 360,537 times
Hello Jenster.

I am not a girl nor I am tall (1.66 m.). But I do have female friends that are as tall as you are. Cannot think of them as having a difficult life here in Central Mexico (not that they should not struggle finding proper clothing). You should be ok. Guadalajara is a beautiful, pleasant and exciting city close to the Pacific Shores (Vallara, Manzanillo, Sayulita, etc). Boy, you will have a good time.

The US border is not that close. I think you will find it more practical going to the beach or visiting us in the Colonial Highlands (Guanajuato, Dolores Hidalgo, Queretaro, Zacatecaz, San Miguel de Allende). Cost should not be prohibitive for these activities. I am from Guanajuato and can tell you, once you get settled you will find life to be inexpensive.

Bienvenida.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:49 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,393 times
The most frequent problem I encounter as someone 6'2" tall is on public transportation. Local transportation. The design standards for public transportation are decades out of date. There is insufficient legroom between the seating.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:59 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
If you'll have Internet access, consider shopping for clothes online. I haven't bought a shirt or pants from a bricks-and-mortar store for decades, and I'm only medium-tall. I simply refuse to wear clothes that don't fit.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:18 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
If you'll have Internet access, consider shopping for clothes online. I haven't bought a shirt or pants from a bricks-and-mortar store for decades, and I'm only medium-tall. I simply refuse to wear clothes that don't fit.
Yes, bring your clothes with you ... if you can.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:32 PM

Thanks everyone!

Geree, I've heard a lot of good things about the area, I'm getting more excited about the idea of going although finance will probably dictate me having to push things back another 6 months!

Gomexico - public transport can be an issue even here, but it's not so bad. I used to travel to uni on a double decker bus and have to stand with my head in the stairwell. Not great for motion sickness!

I plan to bring stuff with me but I'll need to get extra stuff as I'll be flying in. I mainly do mail order here so if delivery's not too expensive then I'll carry on that way. I do wish that I could go and shop and browse like a "normal" person sometimes though!

Old 04-07-2012, 12:01 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Watch out walking the streets, for overhead signs and awnings. This is a particular problem in places like Guatemala and Ecuador, where nearly all adults, even men, are under about 5'6". It is very common for head clearances, even doorways, to be too low for a 6-footer to walk under without stooping or banging his (or her!) head.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:55 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,341,184 times
A seamstress is inexpensive in Mexico and I'm sure also in Central America. Having clothes made is sometimes the cheapest and best way.

If you order online such as Amazon, and get to know other foreigners, there is usually someone traveling into the area who can bring orders to you. For tall, inexpensive clothes especially tall 36" inseam slacks or pants, Metrostyle.com in the U.S. has a large selection of tall clothes.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:15 PM

Thanks jtur88, I'll look forward to ducking a lot! I may need to look up a good chiropractor if I'm going to be there for a while...

axixic2, I would love to have things made for me! Here the price is prohibitive, so I have to get mass-produced factory stuff that never fits quite right. Metrostyle looks good too, thanks!

Old 04-11-2012, 03:46 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,341,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenster1979 View Post
Thanks jtur88, I'll look forward to ducking a lot! I may need to look up a good chiropractor if I'm going to be there for a while...

axixic2, I would love to have things made for me! Here the price is prohibitive, so I have to get mass-produced factory stuff that never fits quite right. Metrostyle looks good too, thanks!
Many women sew for their families to save or make money in Mexico and I'm sure they also do in most of Central and South America. A good seamstress in Mexico might charge you a high price of $100 pesos labor at the most for a pair of slacks which is well worth the money to have slacks well below your ankles instead of wader length. It is nice to have long pants and sleeves that fit and not clothes that are too short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico