Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 12:07 PM

198 posts, read 500,701 times

Advertisements

Single woman retired, looking for safe yet authentic Mexico - doable? Merida looks lovely but then. everything on HGTV is lovely :-D Advice on location? Puerto Vallarta is awesome but seems pricey.
Can't afford staying in Us for beach access or pool (spool). Speak some Spanish - fast learner. Thanks for any advice. Willing to give up US citizenship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 08:51 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKjay View Post
Single woman retired, looking for safe yet authentic Mexico - doable?
The famous retirement spot for Americans that is not on the beach is San Miguel de Allende. But if worried about finances in Puerto Vallarta, you will meet much the same problem.

Oaxaca City has a small American expat population, but a larger European one. It's a cultural center of Mexico. It is affordable. If you are interested PM me, and I will give you the name of a Mexican woman who rents affordable apartments long term to Canadians and Americans.

A lot of gringas retire to Mexico, as they find good affordable meds, and they no longer need to maintain an automobile just to survive. You can function fine walking or riding taxis.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:26 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
If you're looking for "authentic", any place billed as a retirement haven for Americans/Europeans is probably not going to be all that authentic. Puerto Vallarta is nice and all, but it's been heavily influenced by foreigners and doesn't have much of an authentic feel at all.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:16 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,748,325 times
When I visisted the lake Chapala/Ajijic area there were plenty of single ladies retired there on their own. Its about a thirty minute drive south of Guadalahara. Not on the beach, but a lake (sort of,lol) Lots of American and Canadian expats have retired there. Can choose between living amongst the people in very moderatly priced homes or in the more upscale enclaves. This is more authentic Mexican living if that is what you seek, not the Americanized resort living in Puerto Vallarta etc. The locals there were some of the nicest people I have ever met. If you locate near the town centers you can get by without a car as Paco mentioned. There is an American Legion there one can visit to help get acclimated also the Lake Chapala Society is a great place to start when you visit the first time. I was just looking at airline tickits this morning to Guadalahara to plan a return visit and scout out homes. If you want a great place to stay on a visit, I would recomend the Lake Chapala Inn, it happens to be owned and operated by a single mexican women too. Alicia, the owner, has travelled the world and always has time to sit and talk about Chapala or any other topic of interest.

Last edited by RickTucsonHomes; 07-14-2014 at 11:31 AM..

Old 07-14-2014, 11:31 AM

552 posts, read 1,056,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKjay View Post
Single woman retired, looking for safe yet authentic Mexico - doable? Merida looks lovely but then. everything on HGTV is lovely :-D Advice on location? Puerto Vallarta is awesome but seems pricey.
Can't afford staying in Us for beach access or pool (spool). Speak some Spanish - fast learner. Thanks for any advice. Willing to give up US citizenship.
Mérida is lovely and by Mexican standards safe for single women. You might want to check out the nearby town of Progreso for it's beach. It seems they are always looking for English teachers in Mérida. That might be a good way to meet people fast and get an inside track on the city. Be warned, when it rains it floods and water stands due to poor drainage. I would avoid street level housing in low areas.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:09 PM

6 posts, read 16,309 times
UKjay, what no one has mentioned to you is the blistering hot and humid spring summer and falls many Mexican beach communities must live through. If you're from the UK, you might not have much experience, including Spain, Italy and Greece. Nothing like it except in Africa and Asia. If you're experienced in such weather, then forget I brought it up. If not, then I and I'm sure others will strongly suggest that you try short term rentals during the summer months to see if you actually want to retire there. More expats have to make a choice between living in the high valleys of central Mexico, where, depending on the altitude, you're living in some sort of "eternal spring" but at least a few hours away from an ocean beach, or in a beach resort and all that weather. Some can handle it and some can't.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimasUSA View Post
UKjay, what no one has mentioned to you is the blistering hot and humid spring summer and falls many Mexican beach communities must live through. If you're from the UK, you might not have much experience, including Spain, Italy and Greece. Nothing like it except in Africa and Asia. If you're experienced in such weather, then forget I brought it up. If not, then I and I'm sure others will strongly suggest that you try short term rentals during the summer months to see if you actually want to retire there. More expats have to make a choice between living in the high valleys of central Mexico, where, depending on the altitude, you're living in some sort of "eternal spring" but at least a few hours away from an ocean beach, or in a beach resort and all that weather. Some can handle it and some can't.
I noted the OP's location is Round Rock, that's about an hours drive from me, in Texas, she knows the heat.
Sorta' makes you wonder how Thomas Edward Lawrence, Lawrence of Arabia, got by in the desert without
his tiffin and pudding.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickTucsonHomes View Post
When I visisted the lake Chapala/Ajijic area there were plenty of single ladies retired there on their own. Its about a thirty minute drive south of Guadalahara. Not on the beach, but a lake (sort of,lol) Lots of American and Canadian expats have retired there. Can choose between living amongst the people in very moderatly priced homes or in the more upscale enclaves. This is more authentic Mexican living if that is what you seek, not the Americanized resort living in Puerto Vallarta etc. The locals there were some of the nicest people I have ever met. If you locate near the town centers you can get by without a car as Paco mentioned. There is an American Legion there one can visit to help get acclimated also the Lake Chapala Society is a great place to start when you visit the first time. I was just looking at airline tickits this morning to Guadalahara to plan a return visit and scout out homes. If you want a great place to stay on a visit, I would recomend the Lake Chapala Inn, it happens to be owned and operated by a single mexican women too. Alicia, the owner, has travelled the world and always has time to sit and talk about Chapala or any other topic of interest.
Are you talking about Guadalajara, capital of the Mexican state of Jalisco?

Old 07-14-2014, 07:34 PM

305 posts, read 750,422 times
In his post he states he is talking about Lake Chapala which is near Guadalajara. Seems pretty clear.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3dw View Post
In his post he states he is talking about Lake Chapala which is near Guadalajara. Seems pretty clear.
Frankly, I don't care how someone spells whatever. Left unsaid and more to the point was the redirection of the OP's question. I would not recommend a single American woman go to that area.

Mexico Travel Warning

Note, there is no travel advisory in effect for the Yucatan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico