Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 09:43 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,854 times

Advertisements

I've flown Volaris multiple times. I am mostly concerned with price, so I always buy the cheapest flight wherever I go. Volaris has been one of my better experiences
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 10:36 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,878,943 times
If something not so great happens on Volaris just console yourself with the thought nothing comes close to the nightmare zoo you get on Viva Aerobus. From not being able to buy tickets with most US credit cards to taking 15 minutes to say no to all their add on sales attempts to dealing with a Black Friday like crowd jostling for line position to get on the plane nothing comes close.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:20 AM

6,498 posts, read 7,527,078 times
2 bad reviews for Viva Aerobus both of which calling it a zoo and "flying Greyhound" hahaahha...interesting, sounds like I will stay away from that one.

Anyways, it looks like they are based in Monterrey NL and don't come over here to Tijuana or anywhere on the West Coast of the US.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:01 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,232,533 times
What they do not mention is that VIVA it is super cheap. if you buy your tickets in advance can cost just $ 1 peso!

Old 12-03-2014, 02:48 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,878,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorChip View Post
What they do not mention is that VIVA it is super cheap. if you buy your tickets in advance can cost just $ 1 peso!
Good luck with those, they aren't that easy to get. As bad as it is I would still fly them instead of taking a bus, but that is really what its competing with. An hour in bad conditions flying beats 10 hours riding a bus. Its just that this airline is nothing like anything else you will see. Since I am a US resident it was next to impossible to buy a ticket online, I had to have a family member go to Oxxo for me and pay for it. The lineup at the airport both ways when I flew them was shocking, people were pushing an shoving to get on as early as they could since its Southwest style seating, but Spirit style legroom. Where else do you see men pushing women they don't know around in Mexico? Just go watch the lineup for a Viva flight and enjoy the show

Old 12-03-2014, 03:54 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,232,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Good luck with those, they aren't that easy to get. As bad as it is I would still fly them instead of taking a bus, but that is really what its competing with. An hour in bad conditions flying beats 10 hours riding a bus. Its just that this airline is nothing like anything else you will see. Since I am a US resident it was next to impossible to buy a ticket online, I had to have a family member go to Oxxo for me and pay for it. The lineup at the airport both ways when I flew them was shocking, people were pushing an shoving to get on as early as they could since its Southwest style seating, but Spirit style legroom. Where else do you see men pushing women they don't know around in Mexico? Just go watch the lineup for a Viva flight and enjoy the show
ha ha ha, very true

Old 12-03-2014, 05:04 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,486,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
2 bad reviews for Viva Aerobus both of which calling it a zoo and "flying Greyhound" hahaahha...interesting, sounds like I will stay away from that one.

Anyways, it looks like they are based in Monterrey NL and don't come over here to Tijuana or anywhere on the West Coast of the US.
I'm based out of Orange County. I've only taken Volaris out of Tijuana. Several times. They also have international flights to several U.S. western cities (LA/Ontario/Fresno/Vegas/Phoenix/Portland). The money savers are in the domestic flights within Mexico though.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:29 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,537,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post

Viva is owned by a bus company. Mexicans fly about 30 million domestic air trips per year. If I am not mistaken, Californians fly more trips than that 500 miles or less. At the same time they take 75 million executive or luxury intercity bus trips. This is a category of travel that is almost completely non-existent in the USA. Primarily it is because tolls and automobile rental are so expensive in Mexico, that even middle class people often take the bus.

Executive bus travel can cost twice as much as first class buses. They often put as few as 25 seats in a bus, and they lay flat. They have a bag of toiletries and movies for viewing. The three low cost airlines aim to turn the majority of these 75 million riders into airplane passengers.

The problem is, of course, infrastructure and in particular the massive reliance on Mexico city airport. Outside of MEX the only significant airports for transfers are Monterrey and Guadalajara, with Tijuana and Cancun being primarily origin and destination airports.

The plan is to completely rebuild MEX so that it can handle more passengers than ATL.

Average fares converted to USD are (according to Volaris)
$71.10 Viva Aerobus (Houston only destination in USA)
$94.10 Volaris (16 USA destinations)
$104.50 Interjet (5 USA destinations)
$171.80 Aeromexico (17 USA and Montreal)

The fare comparison may not have much validity concerning Aeromexico as that airline flies 14 widebody jets in addition to it's fifty 737's.

Volaris has 58 middle seats on most planes and leaves 31 seats empty on average. Interjet has 50 middle seats and leaves 42 empty on average. Viva uses maximum density and the legal minimum of 28" pitch.

Volaris intends to acquire 19 new aircraft in the next two years, 10 for replacing older smaller jets, and 9 for future growth. That will bring their fleet up to 59 jets.

Check prices on Interjet. If they are not too high, your trip will be much more comfortable and your drinks will be free.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:48 AM

182 posts, read 370,034 times
I had a favorable experience flying Volaris from Culiacan to the D.F. because they allowed me to have all three of my cats travel in cargo (in separate carriers). Aeromexico would only have allowed one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico