Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 04:21 AM

32 posts, read 72,798 times

Advertisements

I will be spending 9 days in Mexico. I want to go to the least touristy city in Mexico.

I would prefer a colonial city with nice architecture. I don't care about beaches.

I don't want to go below Mexico City. I also don't want to go to the east coast where the Zeta cartel is.

Based on the above criteria here is a list of cities I'm considering:

Queretaro

Morelia

Zacatecas

Aguascalientes

Alamos

Chihuahua

Patzcuaro

San Luis Potosi

Tlaquepaque

Which of these is the least touristy? I have already eliminated Guanajuato and San Miguel De Allende. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 05:42 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,573,452 times
Patzcuaro and Tlaquepaque are both beautiful in different ways. Patzcuaro is like going to Lake Tahoe and is a small town. Tlaquepaque is charming old pre-colombian city which has now been swallowed up by the Guadalajara urban area.

If you do select Tlaquepaque, then keep in mind that Tonala has many of the same things for much cheaper.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:29 AM

844 posts, read 1,064,308 times
If you are staying within central north Mexico, I'd recommend the San Luis Potosi-Aguascalientes-Zacatecas triangle. All three cities not as popular as the ones in the central and southern parts of the country, yet charming in their own rights. Take note that since they're not that touristy, you may encounter fewer people who'd speak English. But if language is not a problem, here are my suggestions:

Zacatecas; imo the only city that rivals Guanajuato in colonial beauty. Great museums, quaint little streets filled with local shops and places to eat, a former mine converted both a museum and a nightclub, an spectacular view of the city from La Bufa hill and not far from the city; La Quemada ancient archeological site.

San Luis Potosí and Aguascalientes, I'll elaborate on those once I get back.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:48 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,933,246 times
Well, if you're really bent on not going south of Mexico City, then it's unfortunate that you're excluding Puebla. It's only about an hour southeast of the capital. For me, Puebla is the epitome of Mexican/colonial. It's among the oldest cities in Mexico and has wonderful scenery (volcanoes, mountains, valleys), colonial architecture, rich history, colorful plazas and mercados for shopping and browsing, good food and a very walkable "el centro." The Cholula pyramid is only about 10 miles away, too. No... I don't work for their tourist board , but I am a fan of this area of Mexico.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:52 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,795,360 times
I would agree with Aztec Goddess- Zacatecas is off people's radars but spectacularly beautiful. I have been there and it is a great, clean city with lots of culture.

I have also heard that Queretaro is great as well.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:35 PM

32 posts, read 72,798 times
Thanks for all your input. Based on reading some other sources as well I've narrowed it down to these three:

1. San Luis Potosi
2. Zacatecas
3. Queretaro

Of these three which strikes you as the least touristy? I read a few sources saying San Luis Potosi is somewhat under the radar compared to others. Is this true?

Old 12-07-2014, 10:38 PM

65 posts, read 326,675 times
Yes, those are your best three options, I am from San Luis Potosi, but currently working a few miles away so, I am there only on weekends, let me give you my point of view on these three cities.

My favorite one is Queretaro, it has a lot to offer from antique to extremely modern, its centro histórico is simply beautiful, some museums, bautiful architecture and all services you need, nearby you can visit small towns like Peña de Bernal and Tequisquiapan. visit this website and it will help you a lot Portal de Turismo del Estado de Querétaro

Zacatecas will just blow your mind with its architecture, some good festivals and small tours.

San Luis Potosí has a lot to offer, as a local sometimes I do not appreciate all its beauty since when I go downtown I always go in fast mode, lol, but there are some nice museums, like Museo del Virreynato, Museo Federico Silva, Museo de la Máscara, Museo de Arte Contemporáneo and a few others, you can also take the tranvía, a small bus that takes you on a tour to the most important places in the city, you can not miss by any chance the centro de las artes, it was a jail and they turned it into an arts facility, with museums, expositions, workshops and the architecture and the vibe you feel in there is supercool.

I hope I helped you and if you decide to come to SLP feel free to give me a call and if I am in the city I can come with you to some of these places.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:28 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,890,159 times
None of them are overtly touristy, but there are tourists around in the center of each. I don't think any are under the radar, but for isolation SLP is probably the least touristy. Zacatecas doesn't have a lot of tourists, but its not much of a real city in the center without tourism so on weekends it probably will feel a bit touristy to you, but weekdays its pretty empty. Queretaro is relatively booming economically so lots of people around its center, but a lot of them are Mexicans and even a good number of locals spend plenty of time there so not sure if that's the feel you want.

There are places most tourists pass over for various reasons, but they won't have the overall tourist appeal of a place like Guanajuato. If you want really not touristy places in feel you probably will have to go find it yourself. There are no undiscovered places in Mexico in the internet age. Travel enough and you find cities a bit off the tourism path which just feel right to you.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:11 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,234,634 times
Zacatecas being the more isolated one is the least touristy. Then San Luis Potosi.

Queretaro is an industrial hub so the hotels can be more expensive there.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:22 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,573,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorChip View Post
Zacatecas being the more isolated one is the least touristy.
Zacatecas did a pretty amazing thing by turning over the old bull ring to become a hotel. It may be the least amount of money (usually less than $150) you will spend to stay in a hotel of such high quality.

http://www.quintareal.com/libraries/...ecas/zac02.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico