Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 10:41 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,975,918 times

Advertisements

This from wikitravel.org:

If you are visiting nicer areas of the city, such as the public parks or any museums or government buildings, proper expected dress by the locals for both male and females is to wear a collared shirt and slacks... Generally, for museums and government buildings, the expected dress a button-front shirt with slacks for men and a blouse and skirt or slacks for women.

I haven't been to DF since I was a kid but I've spent a pretty good amount of time in other parts of Latin America and know how to not dress conspicuously like a tourist. (as in, no shorts and t-shirt etc) That said, my usual dress when traveling is more like (nice, not faded or ripped) jeans and a polo or casual button-down shirt. I willl be visiting Mexico City in a couple months and will certainly be visiting places like public parks and museums, and I don't want to stand out as inappropriately casual.

Should I plan on bringing, say, chinos and a dress shirt? I travel very light and don't really want to bring things I need to press or steam if I can help it. Based on my other travels, that sounds like a really formal standard and I'm suspicious of the info.

Any insights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 11:32 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,237,220 times
Not at all, you certainly can dress casual for visit Museums. I was there just last week and girls where in dress or shorts and men in jeans and polo´s.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:51 AM

983 posts, read 1,636,988 times
It's BS of the highest order.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:56 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,975,918 times
Thanks to both of you.

As I said, I was really suspicious because that seems like a really formal standard for a Western city in 2015, but I have only been to Central American cities lately and not Mexico City, so I had to consider the possibility that things were somehow different there.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:14 PM

844 posts, read 1,065,638 times
People in Mexico city will a bit more formal than lets say Gdl, Mty and the turisticos areas. That being said, dress casual to comfy and no one will say anything to you. Nor give you a funny look.

Have fun

Old 04-08-2015, 02:13 PM

6,514 posts, read 7,560,861 times
I felt out of place when visting the Papaolote Children's museum with my son in cargo shorts, t-shirt, and tennis shoes as is customary dress here in Southern California for the 40 and under crowd. It was a somewhat humid December day and people seemed over dressed, not formally, just more bundled up and all men wearing pants.

I also remember, on my first visit to DF, one morning I slipped on some gym shorts and a t-shirt to run down to the 7/11 real quick to get a cup of coffee. I was on the elevator of my hotel and another guest looked at me and said, "good morniing, going to the gym eh?"

You are not expected to dress formal but at least look presentable in Mexico City. It is easy to get away with shorts/t-shirt in NYC and Chicago, but even on the warmest day it is not the norm in Mex City.

I did, however, find my very casual SoCal attire much more acceptable in Acapulco even being mainly among Mexicans (not a gringo in sight in ACA).

Old 04-08-2015, 02:57 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,488,387 times
Wanna see how people in DF dress?

https://mexicotrip2012diary.wordpress.com/galleries/

Old 04-08-2015, 06:50 PM

6,514 posts, read 7,560,861 times
^^^ Hey, I counted two guys wearing shorts from your pictures. :-) Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:00 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,488,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
^^^ Hey, I counted two guys wearing shorts from your pictures. :-) Thanks for sharing.
NP. I think the real reason why people don't wear shorts in DF is cuz it's NOT always hot there. Being in the 50's after dark is common. With a breeze, that can be quite brisk.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:19 PM

5 posts, read 6,092 times
Yeah, you guys have it wrong. The Mexicans don't wear shorts and short sleeves due to the sun. It's how they protect their skin, especially the women (same thing in Viet Nam). Due to the fact that Mexicans aren't used to "cold" weather (anything under 18 degrees), they wear parkas in the winter. Okay, not a lot own parkas, but I have seen them. The rest wear reg. winter jackets which most buy at the local outdoor markets which sell used American clothing. If you wear shorts in the winter, you're just a nut. But that's because it's really cold to them.

And if you wonder why they do get cold so easily, just visit DF in the winter time and look at how and what they bundle their newborns and kids in!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico