Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 04:40 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Have you ever been there? It's beautiful.
Taxco was a traditional site of silver mines, but had no native silverworking industry. William Spratling (September 22, 1900 – August 7, 1967) was an American-born who was influential in establishing Taxco as a silver town. During the summers of 1926-1928, Spratling lectured on colonial architecture at the National University of Mexico's Summer School. In 1931 Spratling made the decision to reestablish a silver industry in Taxco.

His 1932 book, Little Mexico, will help get you enthusiastic for your Taxco visit.
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?...iew=1up;seq=15

He is making fun of gringos early in the book.

At the other table, one of the Americanos is explaining Mexico to his partner. . . . you see, first there were these pyramids, but Moctezuma was a kind of a sissy and he let the Spaniards capture 'em. Then Cortes — he was a Spaniard — and Maximilian had a revolution and Maximilian he won — / ain't quite sure whether it was Maximilian or this guy Diaz which won, but it was the first revolution. It was at Cholula, and I read somewhere it was awful bloody. Then Villa come along, and then they had another revolution. . . . This time Calles, he won. . . . And then, finally, there was the Religious Question. This society called the Goodwillers settled that, though some say Morrow he had a hand in it. . . . These birds ain't got nothing to kick about!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 09:41 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Planning my trip to Mexico.. had planned a night or so in Taxco, Guerrero.

TripAdvisor had a warning and link to State Dept website which stated US embassy staff are forbidden from going to Guerrero (except 2 beach areas).. so this means Taxco is a do not go location.

Should I be concerned? I'll keep monitoring to one month prior to my departure. Reason I ask is people do seem to still go despite the warnings... and I'm assuming Taxco will be safe.
First, State Dept warnings typically lag actual events by some time, from weeks to months. And they are just precautionary based on a few events that may or may not be relevant to your particular situation.

Second, what is "safe"? Essentially, it's an unanswerable question because there are many ways to define it. There is absolute safety and relative safety.

Is it "safe" to drive home drunk from a bar at 2am Saturday morning? Millions of people do it every weekend and wake up in their bed next day all safe and sound. Some people do it every weekend and never had a problem. But some wake up in a hospital or jail and for some it's the last thing they ever did. So the fact that lots of people do something and get away with it doesn't make it wise or safe.

On the other hand, the media can sensationalize stories and distort the overall risk. I put together a group trip to SLP a few years back and one guy was concerned and sent me 3 news links to incidents that happened all over Mexico not even in our destination area. I pointed out they were in other parts of the country and sent him 5 news links in his city to murders and armed robberies in the past week. So, how many died in car accidents in Taxco last month? I'll bet a whole lot more than from cartel violence but that doesn't sell stories so you'll never hear about them. No place is immune and there is always a risk. Something bad could happen to you in Taxco. Something bad could happen to you in your home.

So it will be completely safe... until it isn't. If it was me, I'd make my trip to Taxco but I'd keep a low profile and take basic precautions. I wouldn't drive a flashy new car or SUV or flaunt money. I wouldn't drive at night or desolate areas. I wouldn't buy black market items or drugs on the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico