Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 01:56 PM

267 posts, read 303,933 times

Advertisements

Having just returned from Los Cabos, I was surprised at the lack of diversity in American tourists. It seems that there were very few Latino/Mexican American tourists there. Perhaps someone can comment , but where do Latinos generally vacation in Mexico if they're looking for a beach resort Most the American/Canadian tourists I saw in Cabos had no Spanish skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2022, 02:04 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,232,533 times
Mostly Cancun and Puerto Vallarta.

Old 01-06-2022, 05:46 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
The Mexican kids I used to teach in South El Monte seemed to prefer Cancun.

Old 01-06-2022, 07:29 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,595,151 times
San Blas, Nayarit is very popular among weekenders from Guadalajara. There is a kind of beach fly that is bothersome when the wind is the wrong direction, so Mexico never designated it as a tourit development zone. Very nice, quiet beach town during the week, with Mexican prices and amenities..

There are lots of hidden spas and hot springs that only locals know about. You'lll meet lots of Mexicans, very gregarious and chatty. A few are signposted from the highwayl

I don't think I saw any Americans at the beach north of Tampico, a very popular day-use facility. Also, Mexicans love to hike on weekends, even in street shoes and Sunday clothes. Find a park with trails. I webt to a big well-known waterfall par, right on the Guerrero state line ssouth of CDMX, crowded with Mexican families

Last edited by arr430; 01-06-2022 at 07:57 PM..

Old 01-06-2022, 08:11 PM

1,014 posts, read 479,166 times
There are lots of Latinos in California. If you don't look close enough, you'd think they were a mixed race and part haole. Or white. They have formed a group in Los Angeles. The Latino Task Force in Los Angeles. If it's one thing I've noticed about Latinos, is that they all stick together as a family. All in one. And it's easy to see their character traits. And they live by this rule too.

Old 01-07-2022, 12:00 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,935,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorChip View Post
Mostly Cancun and Puerto Vallarta.
Acapulco is another destination with a very obvious Mexican presence in the hotels. Probably there are other local tourist destinations (local secrets) within Mexico. If the non-Mexican tourists know about them and then go there 'en masse,' it goes against the initial point.

Often times there is a different vibe in tourist destinations full of international tourists and those with mostly local tourists. Let the mostly local tourists destinations remain local.

Old 01-07-2022, 08:57 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,527,078 times
By "Latinos" I presume you mean Hispanics living in the US.... In this case I will say the most US Latinos I've ever seen in Mexico has been in Puerto Peñasco, Sonora. Lots of broken Spanish spoken here in the tourist zones and all the swimming pools are measured in feet and not meters. Even the air pumped into my truck's tires was measured in PSI at a Pemex. In 2nd place would be Rosarito, Baja California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Acapulco is another destination with a very obvious Mexican presence in the hotels. Probably there are other local tourist destinations (local secrets) within Mexico. If the non-Mexican tourists know about them and then go there 'en masse,' it goes against the initial point.
My experience with Acapulco is that it is neither visited by non Hispanic American/Canadians OR Hispanic American/Canadians... It seemed to me to be mostly Mexican nationals...primarily Chilangos. Once upon a time in the 70s, the Price is Right used to have trips to "Sunny Acapulco" in the ShowCase Showdown! Those days are long gone...

Old 01-12-2022, 03:56 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
At Easter I believe Mexicans have a week off. Their families pack the beaches and restaurants at the resort towns south of Cancun, I know.

I don't know if they come from all over Mexico or if they are more locally located than that.

Old 01-18-2022, 01:14 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,878,943 times
Interesting question and responses. From the many third (or more) generation Mexican-Americans I know, their tastes are exactly the same as most people. They want a nice beach in the winter if they live somewhere cold or even chilly. Many go to Los Cabos, not sure how many you were expecting to see there but I'm sure with all the flights there from the western US its going to get a mix of everything. Otherwise they go to Cancun or Puerto Vallarta and complain about how the food doesn't taste like their grandmothers, but still its the beach vacation they desire.

For the first and second generation Mexican-Americans, its much more common to just go visit their ancestral hometowns while in Mexico and those are rarely resort towns. If they do go to a resort town, its probably the towns that have a greater mix of Mexicans such as Mazatlan, Manzanillo, Acapulco, Tampico or Veracruz. They'll go accompanying other family members so they will appear as if they are living in Mexico. These are the people who might go to Cancun because it appeals to people from everywhere, but its probably not a priority over spending time seeing all the family who remains in Mexico. Also realize some of these people have shall we call it immigration issues so going back to Mexico is not happening and they'll go to places like Florida or Texas for their beach vacations.

Old 01-18-2022, 03:23 PM

267 posts, read 303,933 times
I went to Ixtapa/Zihuantenejo one summer and really liked it - mainly Mexican tourists there in the summer. Los Cabos was pretty but really just an extension of Orange County, Ca with less Spanish spoken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico