Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 09:14 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,192,435 times

Advertisements

Interesting new report from latimes.com.

Apparently many may be going home to Mexico due to the unemployment crisis in the US. I've met several former immigrants here who said they'd been in the US for decades. Article Link below.
-----

"California's number drops by 250,000, the nation's nearly 1 million. The sharpest drop in three decades renews the debate over what to do about those still here. "

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-immig11-2010feb11,0,4502287.story

Last edited by SarahSal; 02-12-2010 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 11:00 AM

409 posts, read 2,634,587 times
By Teresa Watanabe February 11, 2010
"A new report that the nation's illegal immigrant population has declined by nearly 1 million has sharpened the debate over whether to legalize those remaining or allow their numbers to shrink through attrition."

Are you serius? Attrition? The poorest of the immigrants do not have the means to go back, and if they did they would probably have nothing there. What kind of attrition would take care of them? I dont even want to know...

Old 02-13-2010, 12:10 PM

148 posts, read 550,405 times
good it is about time get the he.. out stay out

Old 02-13-2010, 01:47 PM

186 posts, read 611,695 times
Nope, I'm gonna go ahead and stay here. It's about time YOU get out, go back to Europe, and STAY OUT.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:55 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,072,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreidi View Post
"A new report that the nation's illegal immigrant population has declined by nearly 1 million has sharpened the debate over whether to legalize those remaining or allow their numbers to shrink through attrition."

Are you serius? Attrition? The poorest of the immigrants do not have the means to go back, and if they did they would probably have nothing there. What kind of attrition would take care of them? I dont even want to know...
the quote you gave said:
illegal immigrant population has declined by nearly 1 million has sharpened the debate over whether to legalize those remaining or allow their numbers to shrink through attrition."

SHRINK THROUGH ATTRITION.
This does not say zero population. It says shrink,which means decrease.
This does not imply or mean that the poorest illegal immigrants will be targeted.
It means (if you read the whole article in context)that factors are contributing to natural attrition-ie,returning home if there is no work,or not coming if it known that times are tough and work is scarce. And the context of the statement was juxtaposed with the idea of having to legalize immigrants as an alternate strategy.

Just b/c some people say legalizing is more humane,does not mean the alternative is 'attrition' by some draconian,veiled measured as you have implied.

God,it bugs when people are reactive and take statemetns out of context.
I am also not even saying that I agree or disagree with the points of the article,but as an excercise in intellectual freedom,I do try to not take comments out of context and apply my own personal meaning to them.

The problem I do see is the educational system being taxed,and w/no real efforts at assimilation,and yes,i do think it's necessary to learn english. I have friends from all over the world living in So Cal where I live,and what do you know?
Their children are BILINGUAL
greek,eritrean,brazilian...there is no stigma attached to learning english,and it is seen as a skill and tool that is necessary. and there is no stigma to them maintaining their first language or culture,either. It's just seen as respect on their part of their current home country. Same as most country's on earth-if I move to japan or korea or france or italy,I've got no choice but to learn that language,and my son has no choice,if he wants to participate. And I don't accuse those countries of being racist.

Dual language immersion programs are fantastic,and these are found in japanese/english,mandarin/english,french,german,spanish,etc. I have family members whose children speak both languages (of their program),which is fantastic.And my son is learning,of his own volition,mandarin and spanish. This is an academic training,however. It is a valuable skill. And we should be focusing on the value of learning multiple languages,not taxing our education system on programs that cater to families who will nto support learning english. And it has been shown again and again that children whose parents learn english,have far greater success learning it themselves.

so that is my main beef with illegal immigration,along with increases in poverty and crime (the obvious correlation between poverty and crime,as I am NOT saying illegal immigrants increase crime. Poverty and related crime is present in the USA regardless,but obviously poverty situations are more likely to result in increased crime,and this is a problem increasingly in urban and rural areas alike.) in US cities and rural areas,which is unfortunate and unstainable for all involved.

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-13-2010 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-13-2010, 02:06 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,072,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 970diego View Post
Nope, I'm gonna go ahead and stay here. It's about time YOU get out, go back to Europe, and STAY OUT.
Great,both of you are going to create a flame thread,then?
Of course,articles like this posted by OP are not really constructive to do anything else in a forum,it seems. sigh.
Why does it always have to be black or white in the US-can we not say that maybe there are issues around illegal immigration? can we agree there is a 'problem' or problems? That is our starting point,our common ground? Can we say perhaps this current situation as it has been is not sustainable? This does not mean the USA has no other problems,and the blame is all upon illegal immigration. But we can simply say yes,this is one issue,and now we can argue about how best to handle it.

But our knee-jerk politics has people emotionally reacting to topics,and stereotyping people's individual opinions,which unfortunately has become a self perpetuating cycle.

So,no,thanks,I dont think I will go back to 'europe'. In any case,my ancesters came from ireland and NE canada [scottish and french] and in all cases,they were persecuted groups who came to the US in a similar fashion as many immigrants today-often met with signs saying irish need not apply,etc.
And they came after native american decimation,after slavery.
So I don't really think I need to feel guilty or be told to go back to europe.

Have people ever read about the scottish highlands clearances,where people were kicked out overnight,alreayd in poverty? forceably relocated to nova scotia,and sometime later forceably kicked out of their land there,that they had made into a life for themselves? And the irish? Yea,nice oppressive history there. I am just saying it is the same the world over,and stop implying that every group has their own unique history. Just like many hispanic immigrants are middle or upper income,and NOT all African americans have a slave history [although they will wear this like a badge in most cases,and will not believe they were not descendents of slaves] and not all europeans came to the US as oppressors,destroying someone else's livelihood.

The end.

Hmmm...breaking the law and being called out on it...means the person calling a spade a spade is racist,and the only response you can throw out is 'go home'.

Both of you-for shame.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:15 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,999,584 times
I don't find the article very compelling, in fact I question the validity on its face. It accounts for numbers in such a way that nothing has occurred. The article should be dismissed as outlandish lie and misrepresentation that is typical of government, maybe its some plan to make all illegals come forth and be counted in the Census. Yeah right...

Old 02-13-2010, 03:11 PM

409 posts, read 2,634,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checking out View Post
I don't find the article very compelling, in fact I question the validity on its face. It accounts for numbers in such a way that nothing has occurred. The article should be dismissed as outlandish lie and misrepresentation that is typical of government, maybe its some plan to make all illegals come forth and be counted in the Census. Yeah right...
I agree. The article is biased...

Old 02-13-2010, 07:26 PM

186 posts, read 611,695 times
I didn't tell YOU to go back, in case you didn't notice. I simply answered an idiotic comment with another.

I've no idea why you took it as a comment to you.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:24 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreidi View Post

The poorest don't have the means to go back? How do they have the means to stay when the cost of living is very high here compared with their cost of living back home?

Back home they have their extended families, they often have a family home with rooms available to them, rooms they already had added on.

Plus, the unemployment rate of Mexico is not nearly as high as that of the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico