Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2013, 04:22 PM

105 posts, read 250,022 times

Advertisements

I am going on my 6th year living in South FL and I have Caucasian type skin that tans very well and easily, I do not wrinkle much at all, and I look extremely young for my age. I thought God had blessed me with great skin, but lately I have been noticing some small brown freckle mole like "sun spots" increasing on my face and it is freaking me the hell out. I am pretty sure they are a product of being in the sun on a daily basis. I do not recall these sun spots being on my face in past years, but maybe I wasn't really checking for them. I really am not in the sun that much, but I haven't had a car in about a year and a half and even tho I always wear tons of sunscreen, maybe its just catching up to me after years of being in the sun for a lil while everyday for the past 6 years.

I am the type of guy that notices every little detail when it comes to my appearance, so the average person prob wouldn't be worrying about this like me, but I've already been wanting to leave south FL and this is just increasing my "get the f outta here" mentality, despite the fact I have found a great girlfriend.

I have been looking at other people faces and it seems like a huge part of the population around Miami has a lot of these sun spots on their face. Some people have raised ones. Some people just have freckly like ones. They almost look like little shadows on peoples faces and they are rather unnoticeable if u don't look closer. I have noticed they are on a lot of peoples faces here no matter what race.

Anybody got any advice on this. Do they go away if you move up north where there is less sun exposure? Is there any creams or ointments? Any one else even no what I am talking about? This is just really pissing me off right now. My good looks should not go ruined by the damn sun, that is ridiculous
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 05:32 PM

313 posts, read 647,294 times
You can't really escape the sun so other than those leathery old people in Hollywood, i'm not sure sun spots are all that unusual. Most people get them with age, but i'm sure there's treatments or even home remedies for healthy skin that can help.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:53 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,322,033 times
Wear a hat.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:44 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,940,357 times
Wear a hat or grow a beard as hair serves as insulation.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:17 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,127,371 times
go see a dermatologist...

Old 04-14-2013, 02:36 PM

53 posts, read 93,317 times
No, they don"t go away. Sun, age, and,perhaps, heredity are the causes. Some skin products help, but NOTHING makes them go away. Taking good care of your skin will keep the tone of color of spots or areas lighter. Plus, the months with more daylight hours are the months you will notice the flare-ups. When you retreat from the sun they"ll lighten back up some. Retin A at night and hydroquonine by day is what a derm will recommend. Go to the drr for a skin check no matter what. PS I swear by Blue Lizard sunblock. IAM NOT A DOCTOR AND THIS IS JUST MY OPINION.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:11 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
The sun really isn't all that good for us. Tanning actually hurts the skin in the long run ages people faster. The best thing is to avoid the sun as much as possible. Yearly skin peals from the Dermatoloist will help sun spots. OP you need to watch sun spots, as sun spots can turn into skin cancer. The best thing is to wear sunscreen, a hat, long sleeve sleeve shirts and pants and avoid the sun.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:17 PM

105 posts, read 250,022 times
I think probably the best thing I could do for myself is to get out of South Florida for my skin. This is the farthest lowest point on the map in the United States, so therefore we have the brightest and most damaging sun

Old 04-14-2013, 09:53 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,322,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatboybigbFL View Post
I think probably the best thing I could do for myself is to get out of South Florida for my skin. This is the farthest lowest point on the map in the United States, so therefore we have the brightest and most damaging sun
If you're hanging out in the sun in any area you're going to develop problems. The best thing you could do for yourself is what people on here have suggested- wear a hat, avoid the sun, wear long sleeves.

If you want to leave South Florida, leave, but trying to justify leaving by blaming it on the sun is just ridiculous.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:20 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,518,260 times
It's called skin cancer...

Go see a dermatologist to make sure they are not malignant, especially if they are raised and bigger than an eraser head. SPF75 Sunscreen sorta helps, but does not totally protect you - best is to wear sun proof clothing and stay out of the sun as much as possible. I am not saying don't use sunscreen, in fact the opposite, use it and reapply it often. The #1 reason it doesn't protect you is that you sweat it off too fast and don't reapply it soon enough. Even the 'sweat proof', 'water proof' stuff lies. Bullfrog is good, but when I swam in an outside pool all summe rlong, despite daily applications of it, I still got very tan and as a result way too much sun exposure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: