Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 10:19 PM

609 posts, read 1,140,056 times

Advertisements

I cannot afford to fail this class again. I need to pass remedial algebra so I can get into college level math.

If you must know Im in MAT 0020 and it basic algebra with hints of calc.

I have 4 weeks left and I'm boderlining. I need to ace the state exam and I'm asking all that are good with it to help me get these methods down packed, if you can.

I'm not sure about Miami-Dade, but I know some community colleges bar you from that course if you fail it a second time and I cant afford to have that happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 10:43 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,478,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic_A View Post
I cannot afford to fail this class again. I need to pass remedial algebra so I can get into college level math.

I have 4 weeks left and I'm boderlining. I need to ace the state exam and I'm asking all that are good with it to help me get these methods down packed, if you can.

I'm not sure about Miami-Dade, but I know some community colleges bar you from that course if you fail it a second time and I cant afford to have that happen.
How about a tutor? You've been looking to meet people anyways, why not? Find some cute little Cubana math whiz, pony up a few pesos and get smart over a few cappuccinos. Might even be fun. May be some local college websites have referrals.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:23 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,200,080 times
You can always go to the math lab, there you have tutors for free.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:44 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,110,059 times
Kinetic

I had problem with Pre Calculus in Miami Dade CC, they have free tutors but I think that you have to be enrolled in the class.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:39 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Come on man, basic algebra???

I will give you this, many math teachers just suck, they really do, I only had one good one out of all my classes, the rest were just plain idiots, to the point a guy right out of high school even kept correcting one. Plus, this switch to online math classes is really hampering the effort, we will continue to see Americans as a whole struggle in this compared to the world because our methods just suck, thus many will be turned off from any math professions all together, which is happening now.

Anyway, there are many functions to math that could be your problem, so, what is it? What problem are you having? Can you give at least one example?

A tutor would be great, but again, got to sort out the good from bad, many just want to rush through for a buck, try to network to find a good one. But, practice ad practice again. Math is boring unless you are crazy, but with perfect practice, you should get perfect results.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:20 AM

173 posts, read 522,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic_A View Post

To answer your question,

I would recommend getting a online tutor, view this website:

Online Algebra Tutors - Homework Help and Review - Tutor.com for Families .

If your not interested, try these links below:

Algebra Homework Help, Algebra Solvers, Free Math Tutors

Algebra.Help -- Calculators, Lessons, and Worksheets

I pray you are successful in your endeavors.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:22 PM

428 posts, read 1,396,697 times
Do ALL the exercises in the back of each chapter. Religiously.
Tedious? Yes.
However, this is the best practice you can do. You will ace your class.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:55 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Spend 5-6 hours a day doing math, every day after class. Review each chapter, page by page in your book. Check out this website, maybe Danica can help you...
Hot X: Algebra Exposed!, by Danica McKellar

She has written books on math, algebra, and calculus...breaking down things, step by step.

Go to your rep at school, tell them you need help to pass this class...they will give you some resources...math lab, go there each day, minimum of three-four hours a day.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:24 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,909,858 times
at Broward College, you get three chances per class and then I have no idea what happens.

In colleges there is almost always a way to correct things, don't stress too much and just study as much as you can.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:26 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,909,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
Kinetic

I had problem with Pre Calculus in Miami Dade CC, they have free tutors but I think that you have to be enrolled in the class.

and this! Take up a second residence at the math lab, I did this when I was in College Algebra

Now, I'm in business calculus, and with a solid knowledge of College Algebra, I learn this material very quickly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: