Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 10:02 AM

6 posts, read 10,413 times

Advertisements

We are possibly moving to Miami this winter. I have two daughters, 14 and 11 years old. We would be moving for me to accept a position downtown. We would be solidly middle class, not upper middle class. I have no information on the area, except what I have read here. Any advice on where to live, good schools- middle and high schools, and after school programs would be appreciated. We will not be able to afford private schools. We currently live in the Midwest, so we know this will be a big change.

Thank you! Kayaker2000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 11:49 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
Living some place for a year is a good way to get to know the area and other areas. What is your price range for purchasing a home? Are you looking for a single family or a townhouse? What is your rental price range? As side note, coming from the midwest Miami may not be your cup of tea, you may want to look at Broward County even though you would have to commute to work each day.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:53 AM

We are hoping to rent for at least the first year and would prefer a single family home, but could do a townhouse. $1,500 would probably be our top rental price we could afford. How far of a commute would I have from Broward County?

Old 11-04-2010, 11:57 AM

Depends on what part of Broward you decide to live. I would stay south of I-595 to keep the commute to a minimum. I am not familiar enough to speak about rental prices, but my guess is $1,500 isn't a lot for a single family home, probably a townhouse is closer to that budget in a decent area.

The best public schools in Miami-Dade are in Pinecrest, East Kendall, South Miami, Palmetto Bay, Coral Gables (I hear mixed reviews).

Last edited by doggiebus; 11-04-2010 at 12:05 PM..

Old 11-04-2010, 12:01 PM

Thank you. I will check out the Broward County area south of I-595. I am specifically worried about the move for my older daughter. She is currently a freshman, a good A/B student, but very shy. She does best when she can get involved in girl only programs. I really appreciate the help

Old 11-04-2010, 12:08 PM

Freshman year is a good year to transfer, as many students have come together from different middle schools. So this is the year that the children form friendships, etc. You may want to post a question in the Ft. Lauderdale section so the members there can give you areas to look at in Broward.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:11 PM

Sounds good. I will post in Ft. Lauderdale, thank you!

Old 11-05-2010, 12:28 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,870,076 times
Hmmm well the school system is much different down here.... a high school student myself i hope i can give some useful info...

As previous poster stated the best schools are prob going to be

Public Schools(Most public school have around 2000-4000 kids so they are big)
Coral Reef (south west miami dade but in a shady area)
Miami Palmetto ( good area good school)
Coral Gables(good school but imports some kids from Little havanna)

or you can try to get here into maybe MAST Academy its smaller but probably one of the best school and its located near downtown so if you get a spot in downtown miami...

As far as neighborhoods go i dont really know what you are looking for because it is different here .... the middle class here isnt really like the middle class in the mid west ...

There are many other schools such as

G holmes braddock
Miami sunset
south miami
south west miami
miami coral park

i wouldnt really discard these schools but they arent the best but not the worst either.... just expect lots of people speaking spanish only and get used to your daughter being called a gringo (if your white) ... its not really an offensive term its used more playfully...

regardless of where you stay at though since she is only a freshman you can apply for her to get into a magnet program to go the school of her choosing so schools really isnt an issue....... id be more worried about finding a neighborhood suited to your needs.... also as suggested you can move to broward county and commute...

as for your daughter being shy ... shouldnt be a problem most hispanic people arent very shy they speak their mind .... so she will prob get over that and if not then well she might get teased a little but not that much...but again it would most likely just be playful.... also their is a big ghetto culture and lots of drug use in the schools (mainly marry j) there are also preps and refs etc etc.. she should be fine though..and welcome to FCAT

Old 11-05-2010, 12:41 PM

Thank you! A lot of very helpful information, especially given your perspective as a high school student.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:03 AM

2 posts, read 2,978 times
Kayaker2000,

I grew up in Miami. I lived there up until a few years ago and now live in Colorado. I will not lie to you. It will be a very hard and tough transition for you and your family. I do not know your background, however it will feel like you moved to a different country. I especially feel concern for your 14 yr old (shy) daughter. Generally speaking, this will not be a good environment and influence on her life. I would NEVER move my family there. Not a good place to raise a family. Sorry, for being so blunt and pessimistic; I'm just trying to be honest. I do wish you and your family the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami