Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 08:57 AM

9,373 posts, read 14,322,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpitner View Post
I have lurked on this board for a long time and joined only recently to refute all the negativity that I find to be more misinformation than anything else. It is honestly discouraging of lot people from coming here, and it pisses me off. If you want this city to get better, don't you think it makes more sense to attract educated, decent and industrious people who will help this city improve?

People really do rely on these kinds of forums to make decisions about where to live. And I think there is a lot of disservice in painting the wrong picture.
It still appears to me that you are misproportionate in your view of this forum. As I illustrated with mathematical precision in an earlier post in this thread, the balance of negative and positive posts on Miami-Dade County is a fairly accurate representation of reality.

For a recent example of a positive thread, review carefully ...
"Looking for a safe and nice neighborhood for a young family (Multi-page thread 1 2)
rmora".

Many of the same people who often make negative posts on Miami-Dade County made positive posts on this thread, helped someone, and received positive feedback.

How is your roach problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 09:36 AM

45 posts, read 152,201 times
Bale,

You may be right. Now that I look around, I do see some positive things being said, especially of late. Nonetheless, it still appears to me that the negativity tirades on this forum are gross exagerations of reality in Miami. I do admit I haven't been here long, and it is entirely possible my perspective will change with time, as many posters here expect (and hope for).

The point I was trying to make, which seems to have been missed, is that the problems we have here (and I know we have many) are mostly the same problems that exist in any major US city. I do concede that some problems are unique to Miami, given its geographical and and ethnic idiosyncracies, as Chelito rightly points out. But for the most part, I see many of the same problems here as I do in other places I've lived. The laundry list of negatives could apply anywhere, including my hometown of Seattle.

Also, I wasn't really trying to pick on Chicago (which I actually kind of miss at times), nor sing the praises of Miami, but rather point out to those interested in coming here that they should not expect the cess pool that Miami is depicted to be. There are good things and bad things about this city, and I feel that a balanced approach is the most appropriate. I guess I'm just trying to tip the balance in favor of 'good'....

As for the roaches - we live in a 20-unit apartment building, so I don't think there's much we can do but manage. My wife and I are clean freaks, so we know we are not the culprits....

Old 07-23-2007, 11:46 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,918,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by not a member View Post
Life's a ***** wherever you go. Wherever you go your boss will suck, your job will be a pain, traffic will suck, strangers will seem rude, the opposite sex will toy with your emotions, job searches will be tough yada yada yada. At least in Miami the weather is warm and sunny and great beaches are at your disposal.
Seriously!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-23-2007, 04:32 PM

67 posts, read 275,280 times
Every major city has problems. Philadelphia has had almost 250 homocides already this year. This number is tops in the nation and is the lead story on the news every night. This doesn't mean the city sucks...it just means there are certain parts you need to avoid.

Why harp on negatives that are mostly out of your control?

I was brought up with a tough love philosophy. If you don't like something, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!! Complaining is not constructive, it is detrimental. Too many people use complaints as excuses for why their life sucks. One can always take steps to better their quality life. I believe it's a matter of looking yourself in the mirror and realizing what you need to do to improve your respective problems.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:22 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,140,723 times
The guy from Philly made a great point, despite Philadelphia having a huge amount of murders, they are concentrated in certain sections. He assumes that Miami is like Philly, where crimes only happen in the bad areas. Here the crimes happen everywhere...they aren't just limited to the poor areas. Even middle class Kendall, Westchester and Doral have their share of problems. (Check out the crime stats from the Hammocks station or Doral MDPD offices).

Unfortunately, the mess that Miami has become is really a countywide problem like cancer, and no amount of comparing Miami's problems to other cities 10 times it size will improve things here.

Miami is unique in that the crime and dysfuntional nature of the city affect all but the richest enclaves, which are only certain pocket and slivers of land, usually near the beaches and behind giant walls and guard gates.

Miami Gardens, Opa Locka, Hialeah, Medley, Sweetwater, Unicorporated Miami-Dade, Miami, North Miami Beach, North Miami, Perrine, Homestead and Florida City are the bad areas here (around 75% of Dade County lives in these areas)...which are basically the majority of the area. Since the problem areas are many times middle class communities and are scattered all over the county, and adjacent to other upper class enclaves, the crime pattern is spread everywhere pretty much. At least in Philly it is north side and west side... and the problems are self-contained....and then you have the decent suburbs. Not so here....perfect example, the thread about out lovely suburban Cutler Bay aka Da' Ridge...

In conclusion, every city has it's share of problems, but they usually do not affect even the middle class areas as they do in Miami. I have stated that idea over and over..and people's only response is that all cities have problems, ignoring the point, or to say they haven't had ANY problems (meaning they are not living a poor or middle class lifestyle here). Or they don't live here, as is obvious to us locals.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:37 PM

Broward (For now) and most of South PBC are not that bad yet.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:32 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,252,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Oh my, you have roaches? I have never seen one in my house in 6 years.
Are you serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Broward (For now) and most of South PBC are not that bad yet.
Boynton Beach and Delray Beach have been getting progressively worse but Boca Raton is basically staying the same. However, Lantana, right across the street from Boynton Beach is much worse and Lake Worth is too... then when you go up a little further up and you know the story.

To the original poster, do you live in the southern section of Miami? Because I've actually seen nice looking middle class sections that have "SW" adresses.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Are you serious?

Boynton Beach and Delray Beach have been getting progressively worse but Boca Raton is basically staying the same.
No roaches!!!!! I can't believe it either. I actually find roaches quite humorous though. Don't ask. They are still disgusting, but they are funny to watch to me.

Agree about Delray and ESPECIALLY Boynton Beach, but those areas are still 100 percent safe west of Millitary. Kind of like how Broward is 100 percent safe west of University.Then again, those people live behind guarded gates. In Broward, not so much. Broward just has a larger proportion of safe/middle end neighborhoods and a smaller proportion of bad ones. It resembles the U.S more, where PBC resembles Rio more.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:03 PM

67 posts, read 275,280 times
I was just saying that crime is everywhere...If you use common sense you can usually avoid trouble

Old 07-23-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly76er View Post
I was just saying that crime is everywhere...If you use common sense you can usually avoid trouble
Yeah,even when I had gang encounters in the Boynton Beach bathroom, I did not really feel I was in danger. I didn't look at the guys, do anything to provoke them. I just went to the bathroom, took a leak, minded my own business, and nothing happened. They aren't looking for trouble with ME if I don't start it, but regardless, like you said, you can avoid trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami