Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2011, 08:10 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,421,606 times

Advertisements

Seems like its gonna be a blast at Virginia Key!. who's going? Havent been to Jimbo's and i want to check it out.

Heres a link
http://jimbosplace.com/Birthday.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 02:03 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,205,091 times
You see, that's one of those places i would never go to, not because of liking preferences, but rather cuz of self insecurity. My presence there could damage the spirit and day of the already old timers who know what that place is all about. I'll feel like an intruder, like a person who is there just to have fun, not caring or Knowing enough about possible traditions and history of the place... someone who's just there to ruin the view of the Old pals' encounters... who at the end care more about the place than anyone. Such places and events are always prone to reflections and nostalgia... a time to cheer for old times. Only they can enjoy the true essence of Jimbo.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:13 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,482,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
You see, that's one of those places i would never go to, not because of liking preferences, but rather cuz of self insecurity. My presence there could damage the spirit and day of the already old timers who know what that place is all about. I'll feel like an intruder, like a person who is there just to have fun, not caring or Knowing enough about possible traditions and history of the place... someone who's just there to ruin the view of the Old pals' encounters... who at the end care more about the place than anyone. Such places and events are always prone to reflections and nostalgia... a time to cheer for old times. Only they can enjoy the true essence of Jimbo.
You should go. You'll probably be welcome if you show interest. Perhaps one of the primary concerns of old folks is will anyone remember them when they are gone (soon). If you're interested in their affair, I say by all means go.

One of my finest moments in Miami was when I met a World War One veteran. Saw his Army company photos and all. How cool is that?

Old 04-08-2011, 01:55 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,410,358 times
Don't go if you're allergic to flea bites though. I went there in the early evening hours around the end of October and I became a blood feast, literally. You see, they got a couple of dogs that run around there (not sure how many) and they probably don't treat them for fleas. I was wearing a light colored Guayabera that I had just bought and some shorts, and while I was there talking to one of the guys there I was just getting eaten alive, to the point where my forearms were bleeding and I literally had blood running down my legs and I was having to dab them with the napkin that I had. ( pretty damn humiliating to say the least!! I was dealing with that and trying not to get any of that blood on my new light yellow Guayabera.) If it had not been for the bug issue I would have had an awesome time. It's real informal, I mean it's not like a "restaurant" or anything. It's more like a fishing shack where a bunch of folks get together and talk and have beer. I don't drink so I got an orange soda. I wanted to try their fish and the guy was like 'sure, we have smoked salmon, and blah blah blah, and blah blah blah blah.' (not an exact quote) Actually all I heard was the salmon part and since I'm a salmon maniac who was getting eaten alive by fleas, everything else went unnoticed!

It was like a dollar fifty or some ridiculously low price for a sizable chunk of smoked salmon and the guy reaches into this shabby looking chest fridge and pulls out this chunk wrapped in saran wrap and I'm thinking 'oh geez! this looks ominous!' but I ate it cold with my can of orange soda, and I've got to say that it was some of the BEST smoked salmon I've EVER HAD!!!!!!!! If only it weren't for those G-D fleas!!!!!!! I would be going there all the time!!

This is a decal that I bought at Jimbo's -- For 5 dollars (don't ask)

See how rumpled up it is?

That's exactly how it looked when I bought it from this guy -- It was the last one he had.

He's a local guy who calls himself "Jamaican Paul" who, by the way also sold me some Deep Woods Off to deal with the fleas!!! Didn't help though.

Oh, and he gave me a lecture about having my camera in my car (he saw it on my seat as I was driving in) because of high theft. I didn't want to sound like a dummy and ask him if he actually thought that would happen when the car was within eyeshot of us, in the Jimbo's parking lot!

Old 04-10-2011, 03:42 PM

534 posts, read 2,409,250 times
I got a sticker off him too, but its in a little better shape. He gave us the same shpeal about leaving valuables in the car, which was funny as it was 911's we were parking. Nothing in them, but we are a little concerned about the car itself on occasion. They sell dirty beer cans and some good fresh fish, its something you should do as a miamian at least once. But its certainly not for everyone, and the hippies coming out of the trees to sell you something, is just plan bizarre.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:48 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,410,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbugmiami View Post
i got a sticker off him too, but its in a little better shape. He gave us the same shpeal about leaving valuables in the car, which was funny as it was 911's we were parking. Nothing in them, but we are a little concerned about the car itself on occasion. They sell dirty beer cans and some good fresh fish, its something you should do as a miamian at least once. But its certainly not for everyone, and the hippies coming out of the trees to sell you something, is just plan bizarre.

AIIGGHHH!!! Mangrove people are coming!!!!!!!!

ROFLMAO!!!!! XDXDXD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: