Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 08:26 AM

261 posts, read 397,224 times

Advertisements

how can you stop them biting you? as they are having a field day on my body...they eat me alive and leave my fam alone, and i even apply spray all over all the time and my fam do not and they do not bite them? any advice as to what i can do to keep them away from me? i have a hunting dog so i must walk her.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 08:44 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,059,252 times
Maybe avoid wearing shorts?

Yes some people don't attract Mosquitos naturally. I'm one of them except for my first summer here. I must have developed some immunity. Ants still bite me though.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:52 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
Yeah try wearing some long pants and a light long sleeve shirt. Also try avoiding being outdoors during the hours that mosquitos feed which is at dawn and dusk. Also make sure you have your dog on Advantix as it is suppose to help against mosquitos.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:02 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times
Portable Appliances with Outdoor Mosquito Repellents | ThermaCELL

if you don't want to use chemical deterrents:
Mosquito Protective Jacket Set (Mosquito nets, netting and repellents / Mosquito Netting Clothing)

Also suggest walking your dog during times that mosquitoes are least active.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:29 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,372,326 times
They love my husband too. We bought him an OFF Fan, it works really well when he remembers to wear it.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:33 PM

700 posts, read 1,818,146 times
Take it as a good sign. I’ve heard people with low cholesterol get bit a lot. I never got bit like my spouse had in the past. I’m on a statin now and definitely fair game for the skeeters! 8 bites in less than 15 min the other day while active

Old 09-11-2011, 07:48 PM

261 posts, read 397,224 times
thanks for your advice, they even bite me through clothes... when is the best time, time wise to go outside then, as it does not seem to make any difference? what us advantix and also an off fan? thanks in advance !!!

Old 09-11-2011, 10:04 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,318,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAHSELLAR View Post
they eat me alive and leave my fam alone
Mosquitos favor some people more than others, but they do bite everybody. The people who think they aren't getting bitten just don't have the allergic reaction that you do.

Finding Smells That Repel

Mosquito Allergy: Reactions to Mosquito Bites

Old 09-12-2011, 04:37 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,125,891 times
Mosquitos are attracted to dark colored clothing....wear white or another very light color. Use a repellant - I find Cutters Backwoods (It has ~ 25% DEET) is the best. Stay out of the shade - mosquitos hang out in the shade during the hottest part of the day. As others have mentioned, try to avoid early mornings or dusk to night time. So to summarize: light colored clothing, repellant with DEET, stay out of shady areas, and avoid early mornings or at nightfall.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:47 AM

92 posts, read 208,098 times
I'm fortunate that mosquitoes don't bother me but I still take the types of precautions detailed above like wearing light colored long sleeve shirts and pants. I also avoid being outside at dusk or dawn. If you get really desperate, I recommend buying some Permethrin to spray on your clothing (but not your body) - I've done this when traveling in areas where dengue and other mosquito carrying diseases are a serious threat and never had a problem. Permethrin lasts for approximately 6 weeks and even through weekly washings.

But really, try to stay indoors as dusk approaches - that tends to be the worst time for mosquitoes. We're almost done with summer and soon we'll be relatively mosquito free until next summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami