Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 10:03 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superpippo View Post
LOL, I was waiting for somebody to write that. I am from Milan, Italy but have lived in both Austin, TX and Tampa, FL. And now in San Jose, CA. I couldn't agree more with you. And, by European standards, Miami and NYC are the two top cities in the country hands down.
That does not say much for European standards today does it? Miami WAS a great place but those days have passed for its middle class. NYC is overrated in my opinion, it was a great manufacturing and finance center once, but is now just a hyped-up bubble town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 10:35 AM

125 posts, read 578,791 times
Default ksgator & acs1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgator View Post
I moved out of South Florida last year and now living in Portland. I grew up in Florida and couldnt wait to leave. After I graduated I couldnt find a job paying more than $8/hr and apartment prices were really high. I couldnt wait to be away from the giant bugs, humidity, traffic, flat land, and year round heat.

But after living in Portland for a year, I cant believe I miss Florida and am considering moving back. I agree with what the previous poster said about Portland. I was able to handle the grey clouds and drizzle until about April. At that point I didnt think the weather would persist much longer, but boy was I wrong. It was grey and cold until July.

I moved to Portland for a change in scenery, climate, culture and because I just wanted to try something different. Im glad that I did cause now I see the grass isnt always greener on the other side. And by the way, the grass here turns brown in the summer.

The people here are very liberal, and not in a good way, and very smug. They are not very open minded in my opinion. They are very openly polite and will strike up a conversation with you out of the blue, but I just get this uneasy feeling about people here that I cannot explain.

On paper, most people would say that it is better to live in Portland than SoFl because of higher paying jobs, lower crime, less traffic, lots of trees and parks, great public transit....but this place just isnt home. I think that I will be moving back to SoFl despite all the problems there.
Lets all share a moving truck to FLA! LOL. I'm not from there, I'm from NY. Been in PDX for a little over a year. Thinking of leaving. FL or SC. I'd love to go to San Diego or Hawaii, but out of my price range.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:31 PM

698 posts, read 2,842,131 times
Default Heading for SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose.pal View Post
Hi Carolinadreamin,

Which of the Carolinas are you planning to move to? I live in Central NC. We moved here for the same reasons that you did. We couldn't afford a home in So.Fla., the schools weren't that great either. Even though I do miss some things, I don't regret coming here. We were lucky and got our house at a decent price but they are going up! A lot of people form Ny, NJ, FL, etc. are moving here and the builders want to get rich quick and are charging a lot for homes now. (still not as much as in Fla.)

If you have any questions about NC I'll do my best to answer them for you.
Thanks!
We're heading for the Upstate region of SC but look forward to road trips in NC along the Blue Ridge Parkway. I bet your weather is beautiful right about now. Please don't make us too envious. We're still sweating bullets and dreaming of four seasons.
I hear from many people that NC is filling up with Floridian and NE transplants. It's been a migration path for Floridians a long time but in recent months has really surged. Let's hope the Carolinas can avoid the many problems we have here when there are even greater increases in the population.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:34 PM

110 posts, read 438,805 times
Default don't be too jealous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin View Post
Thanks!
We're heading for the Upstate region of SC but look forward to road trips in NC along the Blue Ridge Parkway. I bet your weather is beautiful right about now. Please don't make us too envious. We're still sweating bullets and dreaming of four seasons.
I hear from many people that NC is filling up with Floridian and NE transplants. It's been a migration path for Floridians a long time but in recent months has really surged. Let's hope the Carolinas can avoid the many problems we have here when there are even greater increases in the population.
It's still hot here. To my disappointment it was 88 today and we're going to have a couple of days next week it's supposed to be 90! I am still waiting for fall to really arrive. We've had a couple of days that it has been cool and a few nights that we were able to sleep with the windows open but nothing concistent.

I am too hoping we can avoid the same problems here that are plaguing Florida. I wish you luck on your adventure!!!

Old 10-05-2007, 08:28 PM

94 posts, read 134,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
That does not say much for European standards today does it? Miami WAS a great place but those days have passed for its middle class. NYC is overrated in my opinion, it was a great manufacturing and finance center once, but is now just a hyped-up bubble town.
Well one thing better in Europe every citizen has health care now you can ofcourse debate pros and cons of European health care but in Miami I have met many many working tax paying CITIZENS who are not given health care by their jobs.

I have great health care but it eats me up that so many here do not have it. last week I went to local political non partisan meeting in area to discuss this and come up with ideas and 4 people showed up lol.
I laugh but its sad

Old 10-06-2007, 02:11 PM

525 posts, read 1,851,914 times
I moved from Miami to Georgia and the only thing I miss is the food!

It has been three years so I don't think I will have a change of heart. However, I must have really hated Miami because I do not miss that city at all.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:27 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
My sister is town this weekend (she left Miami a couple of months ago). I asked her if there was anything that she missed about Miami, this is what she said. She misses her family and friends, Cuban food and the lush tropical flora, but she doesn't miss the people of Miami.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:06 PM

40 posts, read 101,989 times
Food should not be the only thing to consider. There are more important things than food!!

Old 10-06-2007, 08:12 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maramax View Post
Food should not be the only thing to consider. There are more important things than food!!
Actually without food, none of us would be alive right now.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:59 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,645,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose.pal View Post
Thanks!! I can't wait to eat a croqueta preparada! Maybe I should open a Cuban cafeteria here.
rose.pal, how are you holding up?

Oooh, a corqueta prep! My favorite. There is a new Cuban Restaurant owned by a Miami transplant in Cary. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I am really hoping to they can make a croqueta prep for me! I have heard some good things about it so far (there is a thread about it over on the Triangle forum).

As for the holidays, I understand how you feel. I am very close with my family as well, but we have found other ways of doing the holidays. My parents own a cabin in N GA and we met there last year for Christmas (as well as a few other times during the year). Friends keep asking if I will go home to Miami for the holidays, but I really don't want to. I'd much rather the family spend it in GA, because I have really come to appreciate the change of seasons during the holidays. It would suck to go from nice December weather here to summer weather for Christmas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami