Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 12:13 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times

Advertisements

Figuratively anyways.

I've never liked Miami, both as a kid and an adult. This saturday I will be moving out of here and I will finally be a free man, released from the shackles of this city. While Miami is suitable for many people it never suited me for these reasons:

Not enough money.

The things that are fun to do in Miami cost money. Unlike the better-off families living here, the outdoor activities that I would find interesting cost too much money. I never was able to go jet skiing or go on a boat or have a car. I lived in the suburbs, a good 30 minutes from the beach and there weren't many fun things for me to do here. In addition, I didn't live in Coral Gables, an area of Miami that had trees, and I like my trees and shade very much.

Climate

I belong up north. The humidity is oppressive for me, UV rays are too strong, no snow, too much sunshine. I do bonsai for a hobby, the trees I wish to grow are up north. I like ice skating outdoors, you couldn't do that here.

Geology

I like riding my bike, and I like riding it on hills. Never was able to go to Biscayne Bay as often as I'd like.

Libraries

I visited Boston a few times and I liked the fact that my extended family lived within walking distance of the Boston Public Library. They have no such thing in Doral or Miami Dade county. They do have bookstores though, but my nearest book store, Borders, closed recently. The nearest large bookstore from here is Barnes&Noble, a nice 20 minute car drive away.

Biking

My suburb isn't necessarily a bike-friendly suburb. Riding a bike is a big part of my life, but drivers here drive too poorly to make it safe. I've been side swiped by a car once, on an empty road.

Surfing

The beaches near here are not suitable for surfing. I've always wanted to surf but, sadly this isn't the city to do that.

The people

Manners are sadly absent from many of the people I have interacted with.

I didn't come to this city by choice, and I never got used to this. This is not for me and I am happy to be moving away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 01:02 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Safe travels and I wish you the best in your new location!

Old 08-06-2012, 01:08 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,339,193 times
I so agree with you about the money thing...I stayed a few months in Miami a few years ago and the first thing I realized is "this is not a good city to be broke in!" I noticed it was you either was dirt poor or rich..That was just my impression...And I agree about the climate...I always wondered how anyone could get in the Christmas spirit when it was 85F but that is just me...different strokes for different folks! Hope you like your new location!! good luck and have safe travels!

Old 08-06-2012, 01:09 PM

326 posts, read 949,911 times
Good luck to you on your move. There are a few points I can totally agree with you on. Money being a big one. Also, it is nice when you can live in a city, or suburb, where it's easy to be a pedestrian. It seems like almost every day on the news there's a hit and run of a walker or a bicyclist. This past weekend 2 cyclists were killed in a hit and run.
In all of the places I've ever lived, which has been many, I've never seen so many hit and run stories.

I'm originally from the Midwest, but I live here for my husband and our jobs. I've done everything I can to be friendly and mannerly, but am usually met with disrespect, disdain, or just plain ignored. Kindness is the biggest thing I miss about where I grew up.

I think you'll probably get replies telling you good riddance, but I'm happy for you if you've found a place you'll be happier.
We all deserve to be happy in our surroundings.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:28 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,495,153 times
Hope everything goes well for you .

Old 08-06-2012, 03:43 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,130,124 times
Wishing you much happiness in your new location. I hope to do the same in a few years, when I retire. Originally from the Midwest, I've never gotten used to the New York-Latino-Ghetto ways down here.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:43 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Figuratively anyways.

I've never liked Miami, both as a kid and an adult. This saturday I will be moving out of here and I will finally be a free man, released from the shackles of this city. While Miami is suitable for many people it never suited me for these reasons:

Not enough money.

The things that are fun to do in Miami cost money. Unlike the better-off families living here, the outdoor activities that I would find interesting cost too much money. I never was able to go jet skiing or go on a boat or have a car. I lived in the suburbs, a good 30 minutes from the beach and there weren't many fun things for me to do here. In addition, I didn't live in Coral Gables, an area of Miami that had trees, and I like my trees and shade very much.

Climate

I belong up north. The humidity is oppressive for me, UV rays are too strong, no snow, too much sunshine. I do bonsai for a hobby, the trees I wish to grow are up north. I like ice skating outdoors, you couldn't do that here.

Geology

I like riding my bike, and I like riding it on hills. Never was able to go to Biscayne Bay as often as I'd like.

Libraries

I visited Boston a few times and I liked the fact that my extended family lived within walking distance of the Boston Public Library. They have no such thing in Doral or Miami Dade county. They do have bookstores though, but my nearest book store, Borders, closed recently. The nearest large bookstore from here is Barnes&Noble, a nice 20 minute car drive away.

Biking

My suburb isn't necessarily a bike-friendly suburb. Riding a bike is a big part of my life, but drivers here drive too poorly to make it safe. I've been side swiped by a car once, on an empty road.

Surfing

The beaches near here are not suitable for surfing. I've always wanted to surf but, sadly this isn't the city to do that.

The people

Manners are sadly absent from many of the people I have interacted with.

I didn't come to this city by choice, and I never got used to this. This is not for me and I am happy to be moving away.
I understand completely. Sun and sand is not my personal environment. Give me the mountains any day. That being said, due to family ties, I've lived in S. Florida for 62 years and will probably die here.

Fortunately for me, I am able to enjoy mountain living in the late spring to early fall of every year. Must admit, I do enjoy S. Florida in the winter - so I guess I have the best of both worlds.

Happy trails to you....

Old 08-06-2012, 04:53 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,900,833 times
Good luck to you on your move. I hope you pop in every now and then and give us updates on how it's going for you.
It might be too late now, but have you visited Morikami Gardens in Delray? They have some amazing bonsais there!

Old 08-06-2012, 05:12 PM

94 posts, read 200,762 times
Congratulations on your escape!

This place just wears you out in so many ways..........and not the least of which is the (insert adjective) people.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:39 PM

79 posts, read 151,962 times
It sounds like you have thoroughly thought out your decision. Not every place is right for every one. Best of luck to you in your new endeavor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami