Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 06:47 PM

99 posts, read 396,889 times

Advertisements

... What do the residents do if a hurricane hits Miami Beach during hurricane season, since 90% to 100% of buildings especially homes and apartments are hurricane proof while chances of getting killed in a hurricane in South Beach are very slim or zip. Anyway, My questions are that when the hurricane season happens again in 2013. Do you... A) stay in a hurricane proof house, apartment, condo, or shelter until it rides out? or
Do you.. B) evaculate out of Florida and come back later?
Which answer do you think it's wise to do? If it was me, I'll probably choose A) Let me know what you guys think and I will be glad to hear from your answers and comment on them. God bless you all and thank you for your support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 07:19 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,281 times
I am not quite sure about your statement that 90% to 100% of homes and apartments on Miami Beach are hurricane proof. What happens if there is a storm surge. Your house or 1st or 2nd floor apartment might be underwater. Look at what happened in New Orleans during Katrina, most homes and buildings where still standing after the hurricane but underwater. Miami Beach is not below sea level like New Orleans but it could still be greatly affected by a storm surge. I would not have a problem staying in a well built structure on he mainland but not in a coastal area that could experience a drastic rise in sea level. I would hate to have to swim to the mainland in the middle of a hurricane.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:34 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
You pay attention to the news. Hurricanes have lots of advance warning. If it is going to be bad there will be a mandatory evacuation.

If you're in an evacuation zone, you go- you follow the route out and head to either a designated shelter or far away.

If it's not going to be too bad and you're not in an evacuation zone, then you decide for yourself if you want to take your chances and stay in a strong building or leave.

Keep in mind, with a real bad hurricane power may be out for a very long time and living without electricity and especially A/C gets old real quick.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:51 PM

Just a thought, that's all, mr. shooter. I understand, but I don't know what storm surge is, though. What about the flood insurance being covered in your home, condo, or apartment. I don't know if you would still have a problem if you have flood protection and insurance, right? Let alone, Hurricane Katrina ? or let me guess, I'm screwed, right? Because I'm afraid of what your reply might be. I'm not a local by the way, so I'm here to break the ice and stop beating around the bush with you. I never been to South Beach nor Miami and I'm from NJ, TX, and GA and I don't like cold that much ever since I was a child. Every time the summer would end I would start growing depressed. I've just thought South Beach might be better for me as a 27 year old single black male. I've just thought everything was hurricane proof and flood proof, but only God knows. I don't know what other place I can go... I should still give it a try, though, instead of letting fear eat me alive but I don't know. If I do, I'm giving it a month to see if I like it or not. Right now, I'm one state above Florida

Old 09-23-2012, 08:15 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
#1 Miami Beach is NOT New Orleans. It does not have huge swaths of its land that are below sea level to possibly remain under water for a long amount of time. Certainly a storm can cause huge damage but the water won't "stay" for weeks on end. It will drain right back into the sea once the storm has passed. That can't necessarily be said for some inland Miami communities where they can remain in standing water for quite some time.
#2 There are a lot of housing units in Miami Beach that aren't so hurricane proof and there are a lot of low-rise buildings that can be devastated by storm surge, wind and flying debris.
#3 There aren't enough shelters for everyone.
#4 Miami Beach is usually reconnected to power before Miami because of all the tourism industry. I've been through a few storms and have never been out of power for more than a day.

So, what will I do?
If it's a category 1 or 2, I will always stay put. I live in a new building and I have hurricane shutters. Plus, I am above storm surge levels. Heck, if a storm surge raised the sea to my floor level, all of Miami is screwed....including the shelters. Besides, as an able bodied man, I doubt a shelter would be an option for me.

If it's a category 3 or higher and predicted to be a direct hit, I'll probably hit the road in my car after locking up tight and head north to wherever I'll need to be until the storm has passed.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:37 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,281 times
You guys are missing the point. It is irrelevant if the water resides in an hour (Miami Beach) or in a few weeks (New Orleans). Who in their right mind wants to be inside of a house with water up to the ceiling even if it is just for a short period of time. Insurance coverage is also irrelevant if you have already drowned inside the house or outside. Another thing to think about is the possibility of electrocution with the rise of water. If you are in a coastal area or a flood prone area evacuate. You will not have time to evacuate once the storm surge comes in unless your car is a boat and even at that who in their right mind wants to be in that predicament.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:00 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Cat 1 or 2 just stay put. Low Cat 3, depends which way the storm is coming from to know what side the storm surge would be worst on.

Strong 3 and above evac.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:23 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times

Miami Beach flooding by Mario - YouTube

Old 09-23-2012, 10:48 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,937,891 times
Storm surge in Miami Beach wouldn't be nearly as bad as New Orleans or the rest of the Gulf coast, because of how the sea floor drops off more quickly. It would be similar to the flood issues with heavy rain + extreme high tides that Miami Beach occasionally experiences (and the above post is an example). You wouldn't have water up to the ceiling. Not saying it wouldn't be a dangerous situation, but it really can't be compared to Katrina.

BTW, the worst place to be in terms of storm surge is Coconut Grove down to South Dade. You're right up against Biscayne Bay, which is shallow and has a funneling effect, and no large barrier islands for protection.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:02 AM

So, since I'm almost "screwed" but I still need to ask you guys a few things before I close out from this, I've been doing my research on Miami, Florida for a year since 2011 on the internet and one thing I know to try to prepare to call when I decide to give South Beach a try, call property solutions (Hurricane Shutters, Storm Shutters, Impact Windows, South Florida) Take a look at the site for yourself, though. Another thing, I've found about them from that website is that there's no way that I can get out of a storm surge in SoBe when a hurricane hits there, cause I'm thinking about a hotel or a 1 BR apartment for starters. I did happened to look up the Home Depot website for surge protectors on sale, but I don't know if that only applies to just lighting or thunder there if buy them in Augusta, GA and bounce to SoBe, ASAP. Or does it also apply to water damage when a storm surge happens, not for anyone to think I got no brains or a moron, though. But what kind of storm surge protection I need that in the Miami Beach area, phone numbers and websites included. Please let me know when you get this post ASAP. That propertyshutters.com to me is very on point, I think in my opinion, but I don't think it requires storm surge protection, though. Please help me, though. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami