Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 21,647 times

Advertisements

how much will it cost in miami to build a house from scratch ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 03:27 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
It all depends on so many factors. In Miami, you have to figure in land costs, demolition of previous buildings, permits, material costs, labor, quality of material. I would say that the smallest, most cheaply built house, up to code, would probably be at least 100,000, just in labor and materials alone.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:02 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,281 times
I would say around $100 sq. ft. and that is without counting the lot.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:02 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
I built my new house in Hendry county for around 30K. 2000 square feet with a concrete roof, interior block walls and concrete filled doors. It has already been hit by lightning and through a brush fire. Only a glutton for punishment would build in Miam-Dade county and pay double land value, along with navigating the corrupt permitting process.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 19,739 times
Default how did you do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I built my new house in Hendry county for around 30K. 2000 square feet with a concrete roof, interior block walls and concrete filled doors. It has already been hit by lightning and through a brush fire. Only a glutton for punishment would build in Miam-Dade county and pay double land value, along with navigating the corrupt permitting process.
It´s good to know of someone else who built his own house. I would like to do the same but you have discouraged me a little. What do you mean by paying double the land value? Is land that expensive these days? I´ve barely begun but since I have experience from building in latin countries I thought I would build myself rather than pay a general contractor. How about the permitting? Corrupt you say? I really hate that. How did you get around it?

Old 01-29-2013, 02:06 PM

A 2000 SQFT CBS house for 30k seems almost impossible. Is that just the shell? Just a kitchen and two bathrooms will cost you that much if not more.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
A 2000 SQFT CBS house for 30k seems almost impossible. Is that just the shell? Just a kitchen and two bathrooms will cost you that much if not more.
Complete home built by my own hands. The windows and doors are homemade too. Kitchen and one bathroom, as well as an outbuilding of 800 square feet used as a lab. However, the outbuilding was constructed from a demolition I did of a prefab radio building off of US-27. My dad and I built my home in Key Largo in the late 80's for about 25,000 and it is second story level. Both homes include the superior concrete roof, instead of that garbage using trusses that is used in all new single family homes.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenareyes View Post
It´s good to know of someone else who built his own house. I would like to do the same but you have discouraged me a little. What do you mean by paying double the land value? Is land that expensive these days? I´ve barely begun but since I have experience from building in latin countries I thought I would build myself rather than pay a general contractor. How about the permitting? Corrupt you say? I really hate that. How did you get around it?
I never built anything in Miami-Dade county. That county is so corrupt, only bubbleheaded developers who can pay off the Fascist building department dare to construct anything. My dad even had troubles replacing a seriously corroded electrical weatherhead. When hurricane katrina cut off power I spent the night replacing it. A week later power came on and a whole new service was working. I would never, ever waste my money building in Miami-Dade county.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:42 PM

Tallrick is your roof poured in place or is it built using prestressed concrete tie beams, what about the walls? I have always been interested in hurricane and termite resistant homes. I have always criticized the poor quality of construction seen today especially in South Florida were we are susceptible to hurricanes.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:26 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,317,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
It has already been hit by lightning and through a brush fire. Only a glutton for punishment would build in Miam-Dade county and pay double land value, along with navigating the corrupt permitting process.
Sounds like your house is a glutton for punishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami