Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 03:56 PM

105 posts, read 250,058 times

Advertisements

Been here 5 and a half years, have always heard the economy here sucks, but it seems like its bad everywhere, is the economy reall that bad here compared to other cities and states???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 05:42 PM

309 posts, read 619,550 times
YES

i just spent a year there - i hated to leave but could not get any decent jobs... oh there were sure plenty of 'em for less than 10 bucks/hour - but NOTHING decent enough to pay the rent and manage even a bare-minumum decent life. (and i lived in a small studio; less than average rent & utilities, and i live very lowkey - don't drink, don't do clubs, etc... just enjoy going to the beach and being outdoors - so my lifestyle is pretty inexpensive)

on the other hand, i reluctantly returned to Pennsylvania where i got a dull but decent paying job in 2 months, for TWICE the starting wage as similar jobs in the Miami/Lauderdale area. i'm still looking at job ads there (one can always hope) and STILL -- the exact same type of job (medical office administration) pays about 40% more in Pennsylvania than it does in Lauderdale - AND the rents here are about 25% LESS.

who the F can even LIVE on 10 damn dollars an hour?? I'm sure not gonna bust my hump in a doctor's office with people's lives and health in my hands for that. it's an effing insult.

sigh.

it just sucks. cause i HATE IT HERE. but i just can't afford to live in SoFl, and here, one can earn more, and spend less ... so i can at least support myself.

Last edited by catt6; 03-18-2013 at 05:53 PM..

Old 03-18-2013, 06:14 PM

105 posts, read 250,058 times
ok thanx for the input, anybody else want to give any input? I mean I see nice cars everywhere I go here, so somebodies gotta be making some decent money here. Not me though, i'm only making 8.25 an hour

Old 03-18-2013, 06:24 PM

309 posts, read 619,550 times
couples who both work, and singles who are willing to live w/roommates, (i'm not) might do ok.

but for a single person, 8.25/hour can't even pay the rent.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:59 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,823,786 times
I know several people that make $9.00-$12.00 an hour and they lease new BMW 3-series and Acuras. How to they do it, I have no idea. They also pay for half of their rent. They must have all of their credit cards maxed out and pay the minimum every month. I think that is how most people in Miami live.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:00 PM

600 posts, read 754,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatboybigbFL View Post
ok thanx for the input, anybody else want to give any input? I mean I see nice cars everywhere I go here, so somebodies gotta be making some decent money here. Not me though, i'm only making 8.25 an hour
Don't be fooled by the nice cars. Most of them are leased or financed by people who want to show off and wouldn't otherwise be able to afford them.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:18 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
There are more than a few low paying jobs around the area, but the money does not go far; a person is much better off making $8/hr in KY than in S. FL, housing costs being the single largest factor.

I cannot speak much for upward mobility, it depends on your skill set and industry.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:23 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatboybigbFL View Post
I mean I see nice cars everywhere I go here, so somebodies gotta be making some decent money here.
1. A lot of people live with their parents and/or cram a large number of people into a small house. Drive around normal neighborhoods at night and look at all of the houses which have a fleet of cars parked in the yard.

2. A lot of people are spending every dime they earn plus go into debt just to cover their lifestyle.

3. Some people bring money here that they earned elsewhere.

4. A small number of people are actually making a great salary.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:55 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
I honestly don't know that well as I am not going to or ever had to look for a "typical" job. Ex: jobs which don't requrie a graduate degree. However from what I have seen and heard and know from other friends the job market down here is not easy. A lot of it sometimes depends on who you know. Also compared to cities like NYC, DC, Boston or San Fran etc. Throw in Chicago too there are less good paying jobs and I don't know why but wages do tend to be lower here. Maybe it is because companies think they can get away with it with no state income tax? I am not really sure. But Miami does have its markets where there are jobs and some well paying ones you just need to know where to find them and who to know.

But the overall economy in Miami is getting better. Slowy as the rest of the U.S. whether the growth continues I don't know. South Florida job growth roars back - Business - MiamiHerald.com

Old 03-18-2013, 11:09 PM

203 posts, read 518,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
1. A lot of people live with their parents and/or cram a large number of people into a small house. Drive around normal neighborhoods at night and look at all of the houses which have a fleet of cars parked in the yard.

2. A lot of people are spending every dime they earn plus go into debt just to cover their lifestyle.

3. Some people bring money here that they earned elsewhere.

4. A small number of people are actually making a great salary.
I'm going to have to agree with this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami