Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2013, 03:03 AM

7 posts, read 8,670 times

Advertisements

Hi there
We (couple with 1 children aged 4) will be moving to Miami in 4 to 6 months. we are Italian. My husband will open a restaurant fast food.Where are the nice areas for families to live? We have a $3500 rental budget for a house, what kind of property could we get for this? Where are nice safe areas with a lot of italians people and families?I would really appreciate some advice, i have never lived in the US and know very little about life in Miami and Florida.
What age do children start school in Florida? Do most children go to pre-school from 3? are there italian or international schools?
are there some italian families that moved to miami recently? Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 04:21 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiarria View Post
Hi There,

We (couple with one child aged 4) will be moving to Miami in 4 to 6 months. We are Italian. My husband will open a fast food restaurant. Where are the nice areas for families to live? We have a $3500 rental budget for a house, what kind of property could we get for this? Where are nice safe areas with a lot of Italians people and families? I would really appreciate some advice, I have never lived in the US and know very little about life in Miami and Florida.
What age do children start school in Florida? Do most children go to pre-school from 3? Are there Italian or international schools?
Are there some Italian families that moved to Miami recently? Many thanks.
Over the past year and a half, the effective tax rate in Italy has been raised from around 43%, where it stood for about 20 years, to 45% and now even 52%. Yes, some Italian families have moved to the US and to Miami recently.

Most Italians, mainly from northern Italy nowadays, in Miami live or have property and businesses in or near Miami Beach (zip codes 33140, 33139), there are many Italian restaurants on Lincoln Road, and Italian is heard often on the streets there. Not too sure, however, how many of them are full-time residents and how many of them have school-age children, and by my criteria I would not really consider this a family area, though some people may.

Other areas that you may consider are downtown (33132), Brickell (33131, 33129), Coconut Grove (33133) and Coral Gables (33134, 33146), South Miami (33143), Dadeland (33143, 33156) and Pinecrest (33156).

On your budget you should be able to rent a decent house or a very nice condo, approximately 200-300 square meters, in all the areas listed above.

Yes, most children do go to pre-school starting from 3 years old.

To my knowledge, there is no particular school in Miami Beach with an Italian connection.

In the downtown/Brickell area, with some sort of Italian connection, you may wish to look at:
1) International Christian School (33131, north Brickell, close to downtown);
2) Montessori, La Prima Casa (33129, south Brickell).

At the elementary level, the George Washington Carver Elementary school offers an Italian language program. However, technically located in Coral Gables, it is on Grand Avenue and borders a low-income area of Coconut Grove (33133). Otherwise, there are really no international schools at the elementary level (except a French school in Coral Gables), but there are some really good public and private schools, at least relatively, elsewhere in Coral Gables and Pinecrest (33134, 33146, 33143, 33156).

There is also a Dante Alighieri school of Italian language and culture in Coral Gables (33134).

Finally, the Italian Consulate is also located in Coral Gables (33134), they may be able to provide more detailed information on what neighborhoods in Miami most Italians live. There may be some Italian communities in northern Miami-Dade County, perhaps Aventura or Miami Lakes, I really don't know, but it probably would not be significant.

Your best bets are Miami Beach and Coral Gables.

In bocca al lupo.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:53 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,826,853 times
Quote:
Hi there
We (couple with 1 children aged 4) will be moving to Miami in 4 to 6 months. we are Italian. My husband will open a restaurant fast food.Where are the nice areas for families to live? We have a $3500 rental budget for a house, what kind of property could we get for this? Where are nice safe areas with a lot of italians people and families?I would really appreciate some advice, i have never lived in the US and know very little about life in Miami and Florida.
What age do children start school in Florida? Do most children go to pre-school from 3? are there italian or international schools?
Hello. Are you looking to rent a house or an apartment?

Do you know where your husband is planning to open a restaurant? Which area in Miami?

How many bedrooms would you like to have? 2? 3?

Old 04-09-2013, 06:02 AM

7 posts, read 8,670 times
thanks,i will certenly give a look at the Coral Gable area!it seems more safe and kids friendly..i will call the consolate!
thansk

Old 04-11-2013, 01:56 PM

33 posts, read 61,090 times
I second the recommendation to check into the Dante Alighieri people. I worked with them for nearly two years and they're fabulous! Among the most cultivated you can find in Miami-Dade.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:10 PM

56 posts, read 69,042 times
Ciao Chiarria,

I'm a born and raised Italian, originally from Verona. I moved to Miami about 7 1/2 years ago, and I'm now living in Chicago. However my wife and I with our two kids are moving back to Miami/Fort Lauderdale by the end of the summer. Message me in private so that we can remain in contact and I can give you all the information you need on life in the US and Miami from an Italian perspective.

A presto!

G

Old 04-21-2013, 08:01 AM

318 posts, read 624,899 times
Quote:
Hi there
Many Spanish/Portuguese speaking Miamians are of Italian ancestry. They are everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami