Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 08:12 PM

2 posts, read 3,775 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, this is my first post so hello all!

I was born and raised in Boca Raton

For the last few months I've been thinking about moving down to Miami to finish my BA. I've lived in Tallahassee for close to 1.5 years. I don't really dig the Tallahassee College Town vibe too much. I'm not finding much else to do here besides go to stupid bars and clubs. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just I feel I'm surrounded by a bunch of people (including me) who have very little real world knowledge, and I feel a college town is really just this bubble for out of control beliefs and idealism that just seems flat out wrong to me. The culture here revolves around drinking as much as possible. There is NO music scene here in the way of metal, electronic, rock, indie, or whatever. The music scene here sucks

I'm considering moving to Miami because

1) It's status as a hub and the closest to a real metropolitan I can experience.

2) I figure that while drinking culture is obviously huge in Miami, there has to be a lot more to do. More diversity overall, not surrounded by the bubble I described earlier. There's the beach and water, which I'd personally try to take advantage of by way of diving, snorkeling, and maybe surfing/ kite-surfing. Let alone Miami has a much more happening music scene, and bars that cater to a music-oriented audience

It just seems like a much more happening area, and the main things holding me back right now would be I'm not sure if transferring to FIU to finish my Bio degree would be a good idea, and Miami is pretty expensive (I also am tied to a job here right now that I'd be stuck with for at least a year or so).

I'm not really a fan of the southern vibe here, either. Don't get me wrong, southern people can obviously be very cool, but it's not for me. Probably a result of me being from South Florida.

Have any people been in my particular situation? I would be living alone, need to work obviously. I'm thinking about the art district since it seems pretty aesthetically nice and I have some friends there who like it a lot. I doubt I'd afford it, but if I could swing something in Brickell that would seem pretty cool (although I'm guessing FIU is a little bit of a drive).

Could anyone chime in on any of this? I've been lurking these forums for a few months, and I don't believe I've seen a carbon copy of this thread before

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 01:29 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,935 times
Be careful what you wish for. Perhaps you havent checked out everything Tally has to offer. Try going to the beach (st george island)

or check out Wakulla Springs, st marks wildlife refuge, the Parks in Tally.

Its all about who you hang out with.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:32 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
You need to read some of Matt Melzer's columns for Thrillist Miami. He also writes for Miami Beach 411.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:57 AM

313 posts, read 647,449 times
No need for that blueherons, just check out the Miami forum. Matt Melzer borders on bigoted and his views are plentiful on this website.

As for the OP, If you have friends in town then even better. I've met an increasing amount of young people in the city from Palm Beach and up in the Treasure Coast. It sounds like you have to worry about your degree more and if it makes sense.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:30 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
Well I don't know if this will help but my cousin - who is also from South FL - went to FSU and ended up having to move back because there weren't many jobs and opportunities in her field in that area. Unfortunately, there weren't many jobs pertaining to her major down there either. She's since moved to Korea. Overall, I would recommend you making the move. Having lived in Tallahassee for 3 years, I completely understand you. I couldn't wait to get the heck out of there.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:03 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclealbertt View Post
No need for that blueherons, just check out the Miami forum. Matt Melzer borders on bigoted and his views are plentiful on this website.

I personally think Matt is hilarious and painfully honest. Bigoted never entered my mind.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:18 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
Moving this to the Miami forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami