Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 03:40 AM

37 posts, read 136,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
A lot of what your saying here is specific to your situation and not relative to NYC in general. As for more people would prefer Miami over NYC because of weather, complete rubbish. NYC has close to 9 million people living in it, I don't even think Miami has half that number. Numbers don't lie. People are here in the city because they prefer it, and the winters are not all that bad. Unless you have odd years like this year. The Summer was really cool this year, I am afraid this coming winter will be nuts too. Anyway, to each their own.
I'm sorry but after reading this whole thread, I just, as a native-Miamian-turned-Californian, had to chime in. A good cross-sectopn of Miamians (that totally cuts across racial and socioeconomic lines)are probably the rudest, most self-absorbed, and downright unfriendly people I have encountered in the USA, and I was born and raised in NMB.

Got out when I went off to school and relocated to Coastal San Diego, which one member aptly described "as paradise on earth". Are people here the friendliest in the country? Certainly not, but they are light years ahead of Miamians in terms of being open to engaging in a pleasant human interaction with a stranger with whom you may be sharing a view of the majestic beauty of the glassy, blue pacific whilst perched high atop a cliff in Torrey Pines State park, especially if you complement them on their energy and how balanced their chakras are lol...well maybe I am exaggerating a bit with the new age stuff, but I have had the pleasure of meeting and engaging with ease, many highly personable, delightful,and fascinating people (complete strangers) in SoCal--something that just really doesn't happen much in Miami for whatever reason (I have even been ridiculed in making the attempt, albeit one that completely normal and non-new age lol).

I've been to New York several times and found the people to be pretty open and friendly, Seattle a little less so but still much better than Miami.

I also have to call bs on Roberto's blanket anthropological assessment of European peoples' response to strangers. He is right perhaps about parts of Germany, Milan, and Rome. However, some of the other places I visited in Italy like Assisi,Tuscany, and Trento were a totally different story. And never have I encountered a sweeter, warmer, and more gracious people than those on the Greek Isles, especially in some of the smaller villages on the more popular islands (like Rhodes) and the lesser visited Islands (like Xios). Absolutely unbelievable the kindness and hospitality.

Still even in some larger European capitals like Zurich, when I was plainly in of need of help (ie looking completely lost or struggling to get my huge pieces of luggage on the Tram), there was always a friendly local who rushed to my aid.

So, in conclusion, I perfectly understand why people love Miami. I too love the sunshine, palm trees, heat and humidity (hate the dry heat also as it cracks my lips and feet) as well as the maritime/beach lifestyle.

I have many great memories of my childhood (from the mid seventies onward) such the as carefree days spent at Greynolds park rolling down the hill w/ friends, ogling the coppertone beach girl (i was only a strapping buck of 6 or 7 lol) on the way to Haulover beach, eating at Mike Gordon's on the bay with my parents etc.

However, everything changes as our beloved cities and we inhabitants move forward through time shaping our external and internal realities as well as having them shaped through the agency of broader social,cultural,political and economic trends.

Thus Miami in its present and ever-changing form, in contrast to what it was during my childhood, stopped resonating with me a long time ago. San Diego, California became my new home, and I've never looked back.

Last edited by sbmohr75; 10-19-2014 at 03:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 03:30 AM

683 posts, read 853,311 times
Quote:
A lot of what your saying here is specific to your situation and not relative to NYC in general. As for more people would prefer Miami over NYC because of weather, complete rubbish. NYC has close to 9 million people living in it, I don't even think Miami has half that number. Numbers don't lie. People are here in the city because they prefer it, and the winters are not all that bad. Unless you have odd years like this year. The Summer was really cool this year, I am afraid this coming winter will be nuts too. Anyway, to each their own.
Yet you don't live there. smh. New York sucks. If it were so great you would be there right now. New Yorkers are the worst transplants in the US. I've lived in several cities and heard the same things over and over about them.

It's not the most popular destination at all any more. It's not the 90's and back. You go anywhere in the US, you say you live in Miami and their eyes glow. I don't even like Miami like that anymore, but I can't knock the truth.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmohr75 View Post
I'm sorry but after reading this whole thread, I just, as a native-Miamian-turned-Californian, had to chime in. A good cross-sectopn of Miamians (that totally cuts across racial and socioeconomic lines)are probably the rudest, most self-absorbed, and downright unfriendly people I have encountered in the USA, and I was born and raised in NMB.

Got out when I went off to school and relocated to Coastal San Diego, which one member aptly described "as paradise on earth". Are people here the friendliest in the country? Certainly not, but they are light years ahead of Miamians in terms of being open to engaging in a pleasant human interaction with a stranger with whom you may be sharing a view of the majestic beauty of the glassy, blue pacific whilst perched high atop a cliff in Torrey Pines State park, especially if you complement them on their energy and how balanced their chakras are lol...well maybe I am exaggerating a bit with the new age stuff, but I have had the pleasure of meeting and engaging with ease, many highly personable, delightful,and fascinating people (complete strangers) in SoCal--something that just really doesn't happen much in Miami for whatever reason (I have even been ridiculed in making the attempt, albeit one that completely normal and non-new age lol).

I've been to New York several times and found the people to be pretty open and friendly, Seattle a little less so but still much better than Miami.

I also have to call bs on Roberto's blanket anthropological assessment of European peoples' response to strangers. He is right perhaps about parts of Germany, Milan, and Rome. However, some of the other places I visited in Italy like Assisi,Tuscany, and Trento were a totally different story. And never have I encountered a sweeter, warmer, and more gracious people than those on the Greek Isles, especially in some of the smaller villages on the more popular islands (like Rhodes) and the lesser visited Islands (like Xios). Absolutely unbelievable the kindness and hospitality.

Still even in some larger European capitals like Zurich, when I was plainly in of need of help (ie looking completely lost or struggling to get my huge pieces of luggage on the Tram), there was always a friendly local who rushed to my aid.

So, in conclusion, I perfectly understand why people love Miami. I too love the sunshine, palm trees, heat and humidity (hate the dry heat also as it cracks my lips and feet) as well as the maritime/beach lifestyle.

I have many great memories of my childhood (from the mid seventies onward) such the as carefree days spent at Greynolds park rolling down the hill w/ friends, ogling the coppertone beach girl (i was only a strapping buck of 6 or 7 lol) on the way to Haulover beach, eating at Mike Gordon's on the bay with my parents etc.

However, everything changes as our beloved cities and we inhabitants move forward through time shaping our external and internal realities as well as having them shaped through the agency of broader social,cultural,political and economic trends.

Thus Miami in its present and ever-changing form, in contrast to what it was during my childhood, stopped resonating with me a long time ago. San Diego, California became my new home, and I've never looked back.
I'm originally from LA and I don't think Miami is the rudest place. It's the most less English speaking place, but not the rudest. lol I think it changed for the worse, but it's because of the popularity of the city. Anyplace where everybody goes ends up sucking to live, but not to visit.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:07 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
Yet you don't live there. smh. New York sucks. If it were so great you would be there right now. New Yorkers are the worst transplants in the US. I've lived in several cities and heard the same things over and over about them.

It's not the most popular destination at all any more. It's not the 90's and back. You go anywhere in the US, you say you live in Miami and their eyes glow. I don't even like Miami like that anymore, but I can't knock the truth.
You are one of those who like to talk about things they have no knowledge of I see. I lived in Miami and RECENTLY moved back to NYC.

***MOD CUT***

Quote:

I agree with everything you said in terms of the people of Miami. Only thing I would say is, I don't share your love for South Florida weather. I absolutely hate it with a extreme and unmitigated passion. I did love the look and feel of Coconut Grove though. Was one of the most beautiful neighborhoods I have ever lived in. I truly enjoyed it. Would I move back, no. But I can't deny the beauty. I would also say, most of the people were extremely friendly in the Grove. But most were not from Miami.

Last edited by doggiebus; 10-26-2014 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: Orphaned

Old 10-26-2014, 10:24 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Quote:

I never understand why people think that everyone is the same, likes the same things, wants the same things, the same things are important to everyone or view things the same.

Everyone is different and different things matter to different people at different times in their lives.

People view everything through their own selective filters--so of course all opinions on cities and states are subjective.

It is nice you like San Diego. I grew up in New England, and tried living in SD. I hated it. I thought the people were superficial (especially superficially nice) and had empty values. Everyone seemed to be into cars and looks over anything of more substance. I like Miami and find it is what you make of it. I've discovered that much of what people say stereotypically about Miami has not been my experience at all--so to each his/her own.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
You are one of those who like to talk about things they have no knowledge of I see. I lived in Miami and RECENTLY moved back to NYC.
Actually. I don't know you and your every move. You were the one dyck riding New York a few months ago and was living in Miami. That is why I made the comment. When I called you out on why you don't move back you had nothing to say. Like 100% of the annoying New Yorkers.

In the same contradicting posts you were dyck riding Coconut Grove making like it was some diverse utopia which is clearly not true. Good to see you moved back to that over rated state.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:46 AM

169 posts, read 309,994 times
I see were actually talking about miami dade county, in comparison to other cities, and not the actual city of Miami.

Speaking of being unfriendly, because i won't call it rudeness.

I had a teacher from Chicago, a middle aged white man. Cool ppl. He told us that typically people in the Midwest were much more friendly in the sense that neighbors converse, and it's common to walk past a stranger a hey each other or smile with it being no issue.

Being from the actual city of Miami, i can understand why some would think we're unfriendly because we don't commonly do those mentioned above. But i don't see the connection to it being rude.
If a stranger meets me and wants to run his mouth, but I'm busy. I'll show obvious signs of not being interested in what he's saying, this is how we try not to be rude. Of he ignores that or can't pick up on obvious signs, I'll continue moving and say something like "alright, take it easy". If he follows me, he's now being annoying and will be treated as a irritation and if he tries to turn that into a "friend for life" thing he'll be ignored.

It's not rudeness, and in all honesty tourists are usually the rude ones.

The city of Miami is composed of downtown, Allapatah, Overtown, liberty city, little Haiti, wynwood, Brownsville better known as brown subs(considered part of LC by some), North Side/Little River/Robin Hood areas(which are technically part of LC but are all across the tracks i.e. 79th st). That is miami. In response to some outsider who posted that we maybe weren't the rudest but the least English speaking.
If you travel any more north of the little river area you'll be in opa locka.
Travel any more east of little Haiti you'll either be in Buena Vista or north miami.
South of downtown or Allapatah or Overtown, will place you in little Havana or south miami or that place i forgot the name to.
Travel more west than brown subs and you'll be in west Hialeah

Old 10-27-2014, 01:52 AM

169 posts, read 309,994 times
Also, don't people relocate to other states and cooties because they don't wanna be around what they are accustomed to? Well other than moving for career purposes.

It's disrespectful to move somewhere and dislike the people who are natives of said area because of what's tradition there.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:42 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times
Quote:
Actually. I don't know you and your every move. You were the one dyck riding New York a few months ago and was living in Miami. That is why I made the comment. When I called you out on why you don't move back you had nothing to say. Like 100% of the annoying New Yorkers.

In the same contradicting posts you were dyck riding Coconut Grove making like it was some diverse utopia which is clearly not true. Good to see you moved back to that over rated state.
*chuckle* right

Old 06-12-2015, 11:39 PM

289 posts, read 305,102 times
Quote:

Thread is long dead, but I just wanted to correct you real quick here: New York is still the most popular tourist city in the US y such a long margin that is not even worth talking about the runners up. NYC gets about 15.9 million tourists per year. The second most popular tourist city in the US? LA, with a tiny 4.8 million. NYC is the fifth most popular tourist city in the world. LA is number 20. Miami doesn't make the list. This is for international tourism, by the way, and doesn't count non-foreign travel. These numbers are also from 2013/2014. Suffice it to say, most international tourists don't get "a sparkle in their eye" when thinking about Miami.

NYC is still one of the five capitals of the world (London, Paris, Tokyo, Beijing), and nothing else compares. That's why is New York expats talk about it so lovingly. It's not necessarily because we think your city sucks. More like if you've spent the last X years eating at French Laundry every day and then one day suddenly find yourself in a Chili's. The Chili's food isn't inedible or disgusting. It's just not French Laundry. Or put it another way, imagine if you want from seeing the world in 4k UHD and then suddenly had everything turn to 1080p or 720p or worse.

Finally, to answer your question about why many New Yorkers stay despite constantly complaining, there are two main reasons:
First, because a new yorker complaining isn't a pot down or a disrespect of whatever they're complaining about. Complaining is a pastime in NYC. That's how we learn to bond with other people. NYC is a harsh city that will kick your ass if you let your guard down for a minute. It has the best everything, but that comes at the price of having to put up with a lot. So to deal with all of the constant annoyances of living in NYC, we vent. It also helps that NYC has an incredibly influential Jewish population, and us Jews love to kvetch. Non new Yorkers see this kvetching as disrespect, or arrogance, or a sign of misery. It isn't. It's a communication gap.

Second, as I mentioned, New York is a hard city to live in. It is a city built in compromises. Hell, even people that would be considered the mega rich almost anywhere else in the world are still forced into compromises, because the level of wealth in NYC is so high as to be utterly inconceivable to most non new Yorkers. At parts of one's life, these compromises might simply not be worth it. I just signed a lease contract on a penthouse with a giant private roof deck in North Beach. For what I'm going to be paying in rent, in NYC I would have gotten a 900 sq. Ft. 2/2 with dated kitchen and appliances in a middling neighborhood. Or a 400 sq. ft. studio in a nice neighborhood (in the NYC market, your not getting anything remotely decent in a nice neighborhood for less than 6k or so). Also the school situation in NYC is a nightmare to deal with. There are fantastic schools, but getting into them is a mess. So until my daughter is done with school, I decided to move somewhere that is still a decently sized city with decent to good schools where I could live like a king on my upper middle class salary. And the only other alternative (Chicago) just seems like it would be to cold.

So we come to Miami and we complain but we stay because we're generally not really miserable and because the lie cost of living and other amenities make up for the fact that it's impossible to find a decent slice of pizza, and there are no subways, and no one gets 30 Rock references. We complain about these things half heatedly and with no real malice because that's how we cope with life. And if we have done artisans, it's only because we know that the vast majority of people would break in half after their first week in NYC, and the experience of making it there makes us feel like the guys who stormed Normandy beach on D-Day and lived to tell about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami