Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 11:27 AM

250 posts, read 359,403 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine and I were talking about this the other day...the western suburbs get a lot of hate by urbanites, and a lot of it is definitely justified...but are there areas out west (lets say west of 87th ave or so), that you would consider walkable neighborhoods where you can get just about everything done (outside of maybe going to work) pretty comfortably without a car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 11:48 AM

113 posts, read 220,249 times
I live much farther west, so I may not be a great person to ask. I think the short answer is no, at least west of 117th. Even if you can live within walking distance, the roads and setups are not conducive for it.
It is just a myriad of shopping plazas and developments. Not real "urban" clusters, but rather development clusters.
I am sure there are some small examples here and there, but my general anecdotal response is no.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:55 PM

^I think you are 100% right about the roads and setups not being conducive for it, its a shame. And I'd agree there are no real "urban" clusters.

That being said, I do think there are a few areas where you can get all daily tasks done pretty comfortably without a car.

I think one of the areas is around 107th and coral way through Flagler...that whole corridor is pretty full of amenities and even relatively good public transit thanks to FIU.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:03 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,943,812 times
I've heard good things about the main street area of Miami Lakes, but that's about all. Unfortunately, where there is density in the western suburbs, it is in gated apartment and townhouse complexes that require a 5-10 minute walk just to get out of the "community." Most people expect to actually be somewhere after those walking 5-10 minutes. Add another 5+ extra minutes to cross the street because the nearest crosswalk is a quarter mile or more away.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:49 PM

^You are so right about the gated apartment complexes and townhouse complexes! It really makes a big difference.

I live in one of those out west townhouse complexes, but thankfully it is not gated, and I specifically picked one that is on the edge of the complex so that I'd be walking distance to lots of stuff...and it truly makes all the difference!

I live pretty much 'in the middle of nowhere' but yet within 10 minute walking distance I have...

2 large groceries stores
3 other smaller food markets
2 banks
a post office
2 (mediocre) parks
4 major bus lines
a bike path
public tennis courts, basketball courts, baseball field etc.
a gym
just about every fast food selection you could ever want lol
3 Cuban restaurants
2 Peruvian restaurants
2 Middle Eastern restaurants
2 Chinese restaurants
2 Dominican restaurants
a Nicaraguan restaurant
a Colombian restaurant
3 pizza places
2 furniture stores
a few clothing stores
2 office buildings
even a plant nursery lol

I am sure there is even more I am forgetting...but my point is I think in terms of what is actually within a 10 minute walk of me...my hood way out west can compare pretty favorably to most of the metro area (except for certain areas of course)...its just a far less walking experience because of the way suburbs are set up, and that's such a shame.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:12 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,975,323 times
Some places have big plazas that pretty much cover everything. They are usually located in intersections with 87 ave, 107 ave and 137 ave. if you live in a home or complex close to those intersections you can pretty much get everything you need.

For example the plaza on Flagler and 82-84 ave has everything you can think of pharmacies, restaurants, Publix, pet stores, fast food,craft stores. Parking there is a mission. Coral way and 87 ave also has a lot of retail.

Far West Probably Hammocks, some areas in Kendall Dr (107 ave, 137 ave). Sweetwater of course, SW 152 st and 137 ave.

The problem with these areas is that they are not pedestrian friendly. The pedestrians are already there because I see them all the time. The problem is when they have to cross those 3 lane intersections.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:14 PM

^Agree completely. I think my neighborhood fits that bill totally...both good and bad.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:17 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,013,887 times
Simple answer, no. But compared to the suburbs of other southern cities like Tampa or Orlando they are walk-able due to the short distant and density.

The only place that somewhat comes to mind is Main Street in Miami Lakes, but its offerings of places to eat, shop, drink are mediocre at best. Good concept but the area is just not ready for good stuff yet.

Downtown Doral development might be something interesting though.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:20 PM

113 posts, read 220,249 times
^^good point. More walkable than most of Florida because of the density.
Doral has a downtown?

Old 05-02-2014, 07:24 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,943,812 times
Sounds a lot like my previous place in Aventura and the houses I was looking at last year in North Miami Beach. Everything you need (except unfortunately work) within a 20 minute walk. There are definitely areas where distance and even design are not major obstacles to walkability and there is decent public transportation. However, the drivers need some serious educating that pedestrians are not second class citizens, and that many people do closely choose a house or apartment where they can walk places, and often pay a premium for it, and we're not idiots for choosing to walk to the same place that you have no choice but to drive to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami