Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 07:24 AM

683 posts, read 853,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLoud View Post
A good question is why should mexicans move here? Why arent there more cubans in the west coast? Just because an area is hispanic/latino/whatever doesnt mean there has to be mexicans or cubans. They generally have no incentive to move here. The exception being the farmland in South-Dade and the incentive is work that theyre most willing to take.

Because the refugee antics they pull in Miami would never work in the West coast. Plus they were given the city of Miami. Why would you move anyplace else? There is a strong Cuban presence in New Jersey besides Miami. It's night and day between the two. The ones in NJ are more cultured I think.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Is that a fact? What "orders" were those, I'd like to know? Because whatever they were, it seemed to work for Miami. Well, except for the cocaine cowboys shooting things out with each other.

Ferre self-identifies as Puerto Rican and Hispanic. These days, people are pretty much whatever they say they are.

In hindsight this was a good thing. South Beach and Brickell came out from the Colombian drug money. At least they contributed to the US.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:28 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,186,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
As I said, Ferré was not PR or anything, he was a dem "pork chopper" that received orders from the capital of the state.
I will grant, however, that Tally likes to suck the peewadden out of South Florida in general and Miami specifically, it's the cash cow of Florida. Which is why they probably looked the other way with all the drug money than ran through the banks back in the 1980s. The re-make of Scarface may have been a bit over the top as a movie, but there was definitely some truth to it.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
I will grant, however, that Tally likes to suck the peewadden out of South Florida in general and Miami specifically, it's the cash cow of Florida. Which is why they probably looked the other way with all the drug money than ran through the banks back in the 1980s. The re-make of Scarface may have been a bit over the top as a movie, but there was definitely some truth to it.

Of course. You really think they couldn't stop that? The economy was straight garbage with the Reaganomics. Miami was the ONLY city in the US where the money was pouring in. They should have let Colombians instead of the Cubans. The US actually got something in return.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
In hindsight this was a good thing. South Beach and Brickell came out from the Colombian drug money. At least they contributed to the US.
Wait, WHAT??????? Who contributed to the US? The drug dealers? Are you kidding me? I mean, so did the slave traders, but no one considers this a good thing, even in hindsight.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Of course. You really think they couldn't stop that? The economy was straight garbage with the Reaganomics. Miami was the ONLY city in the US where the money was pouring in. They should have let Colombians instead of the Cubans. The US actually got something in return.
I'll say this for Colombians, though. In general, they've got a LOT of class. One of the best kept secrets right now is the "Colombian Miracle". While the US degenerates, Colombia is on the mend and improving at a vast rate, and this news is being suppressed by the media big-time. Because the media HATES good news like that. And it doesn't fit the Nancy Pelosi narrative of Colombia as a "terrorist" state. What a bunch of BS. In fact, if they'll have me, I may consider it for retirement. Beautiful country, people working hard to improve their homeland.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:56 AM

In fact I don't understand why anyone from Colombia would even want to move to the US at this point.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
I'll say this for Colombians, though. In general, they've got a LOT of class. One of the best kept secrets right now is the "Colombian Miracle". While the US degenerates, Colombia is on the mend and improving at a vast rate, and this news is being suppressed by the media big-time. Because the media HATES good news like that. And it doesn't fit the Nancy Pelosi narrative of Colombia as a "terrorist" state. What a bunch of BS. In fact, if they'll have me, I may consider it for retirement. Beautiful country, people working hard to improve their homeland.

Oh I agree 100%. I'm a big fan Colombia and the culture. Of course drugs is not all about Colombians. That would be ignorant. I'm just pointing out that fact that the money made Miami boom.It is a VERY BEAUTIFUL country. I wouldn't mind living in Poblado. Looks like downtown Brickell. While the US let Cubans in for political reasons, the US didn't net much in return.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:35 AM

7 posts, read 6,549 times
There are plenty of Mexicans-descendants living in Homestead and Florida City, and most were born in Texas.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Oh I agree 100%. I'm a big fan Colombia and the culture. Of course drugs is not all about Colombians. That would be ignorant. I'm just pointing out that fact that the money made Miami boom.It is a VERY BEAUTIFUL country. I wouldn't mind living in Poblado. Looks like downtown Brickell. While the US let Cubans in for political reasons, the US didn't net much in return.
I've never quite understood the animosity from some Spanish speaking groups toward Cubans, I don't know if it's jealousy or what. When I lived in Miami, a Cuban fellow I did business with took me to lunch at Versailles along with a lady, I forget if she was from Colombia or Venezuela. Anyway the lunch seemed to be going well, the two of them were air-kissing and smiling and chatting at each other, then he gets up and goes to the men's room and she turns to me with these big eyes and says quietly "I f_______ing hate Cubans" and goes back to eating. I nearly fell out of my chair.

When I moved over here, I was at an estate sale and this guy from Mexico was there and he started going off on Cubans and how lazy and arrogant they were and I was shocked because that wasn't my experience at all. You'd think these folks would be grateful, since the Cubans established a foothold for them in Florida.

Being raised a Catholic, I grew up in the Northeast with old guard Cuban families. One of my classmates in grammar school went on to go to Princeton, became a doctor and later a medical entrepreneur. In high school, when we moved, it was the Cuban American daughters of good families who made me feel welcome in a new town and new school and invited me to their parties, when the other girls were all standoffish. Two of those Cuban girls went on to become attorneys. When I moved to South Florida, it was the Cuban American women from my school network that invited me into their homes and made me feel welcome in a new area again.

To say that the US didn't net much from Cubans, I really don't know how one measures the contribution of one group vs another to the US. When I lived in Miami, I did business with many Cuban Americans over the years. We knew lawyers, doctors, architects, media people, entertainers, etc. I was most grateful to the Estefans and to Jon Secada for providing South Florida with encouragement and high morale after Hurricane Andrew. When we moved over here, I was impressed what the Cuban community had accomplished in Tampa back in the day, those cigar factories provided work for many and also are architectural landmarks. The people were cultured, in fact while they worked they had "readers" who would read to them from the newspapers to keep them informed and up on current events.

Perhaps you are thinking of the Mariel boatlift, that was problematic. And of course, in the late 1990s, things started to change drastically as far as the business climate for Anglos in Miami, so we left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami