Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 07:55 PM

9 posts, read 20,182 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have lived in Miami as renters for many years and we are finally biting the bullet and buying a home. The home we are considering purchasing was built in the 1950s and has older windows with no wind protection. We want to replace the current windows (they are hideous) and are considering impact resistant windows. (I have read extensively about the whole shutters vs. impact resistant windows debate.)

Once we decide to move forward with the house (if we do, I should say), we will obviously be getting estimates from various contractors. However, I have been trying to do some research as to what to expect and have found very little as to the actual cost of the windows and installation.

Would anyone mind sharing what they actually paid (or received estimates) for their impact resistant windows?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 11:37 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
If I had a 50's house I would keep the jalousies or casement windows original and install shutters. Those impact resistant windows are ugly, and installers often damage the home stuffing them in.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:05 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
I wouldn't get impact windows, way to expensive and you still will want to use shutters with them. Their great if you spend the summer months away from Miami when its hurricane season. But if you don't spend the summer months away, I would just invest in updated windows and hurricane shutters. To give you an idea of price my in-laws had their 1950s home in South Miami updated with impact windows three or four years ago on their 1500 sq. ft. home and it cost them $20,000

Old 03-26-2014, 10:24 AM

9 posts, read 20,182 times
We travel often and would feel better with the impact resistant windows. I don't like the idea of having to rely on others to shutter up our house when we are away. Like I said, I've read extensively about the impact resistant windows vs. shutters debate and we have decided to go with the impact resistant windows. I just want to be prepared for the cost. Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks again!

Old 04-13-2014, 08:57 PM

32 posts, read 43,234 times
We did all of the windows in our house. 6 windows, a bay kitchen pass through, 2 sliders, 2 french doors, replaced side door and front door. Total 17K.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:07 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,281 times
The minuses with impact windows are obviously cost and if they get hit with an object during the storm you will need to replace the window or glass. If the same were to happen to a shutter you might not have to replace it.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:27 PM

32 posts, read 43,234 times
Yes, this is a possibility, but not a surety. Also, the impact windows provide an additional level of security.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:21 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
The funny thing is that I built my home in 2010 with homemade impact windows and have homemade shutters too. Of course I went overboard, my "shutters" are actually 1/2 inch steel plates that once covered trenches dug across roads. I did damage one window by shooting it with a ..38 rifle (I was actually trying to unjam the magazine) . It was a real pain to replace and can only imagine how hard it is to replace a commercial one.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:09 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
If I had a 50's house I would keep the jalousies or casement windows original and install shutters. Those impact resistant windows are ugly, and installers often damage the home stuffing them in.
That is an option. But we have hurricane impact resistant casement windows, and two sliding glass doors- one in the great room, that's a double at the corner, so we can open the whole area up to the lanai. Those windows are beautiful, IMO, they're airtight, help with soundproofing from outside noises, and definitely help control our electric costs as they're also slightly tinted. We had some jalousie windows and awning windows in the house we had in Miami, and they weren't all that airtight, or watertight in the driving rains of a hurricane or tropical storm- although the shutters over those windows helped with that.

I've also heard about problems with installation of impact windows in an existing house, that sometimes they have to remove part of the CBS around the window opening, to enlarge it(?) or to accomodate the way they're supposed to be installed- not just stuffed into the opening, but actually nailed into the structure on the sides of the window ( not technical here, just describing as I saw it). And installers will mess things up if the windows aren't installed correctly. Not to mention the windows' installation is a part of what makes them windstorm resistant, so they'll be useless in that regard if not installed correctly.

Our windows were put in during construction of the house, so they were installed correctly. They were pricey- especially the sliders, think for the 8 windows ( including a couple double wides) and the sliding glass doors it ran about $17,000. Think the brand is Silverline for the windows, and Windoor for the sliders.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:51 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
The funny thing is that I built my home in 2010 with homemade impact windows and have homemade shutters too. Of course I went overboard, my "shutters" are actually 1/2 inch steel plates that once covered trenches dug across roads. I did damage one window by shooting it with a ..38 rifle (I was actually trying to unjam the magazine) . It was a real pain to replace and can only imagine how hard it is to replace a commercial one.
Not bad but as you know if they are not Dade County approved the insurance company will not accept them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami