Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 02:29 AM

7 posts, read 7,684 times

Advertisements

I am so glad I found this forum!! Here's my question: I am single, female on my 40s. I can't stand NY's cold so temporarily moving to Florida for the winter. Desperately need advice as to where to move to considering I don't have a car and do not drive (maybe I should change that and get a DL pronto??). I want to be within walking distance to the beach and to organic food stores, secondary importance to restaurants and social life, stores (Lincoln Road? Collins Av??). I am willing to be in a share situation as long as I have my private room. I do not want to spend more than 1000/month rent. Would love to stay around 800-900 range. Any informed advice will be greatly appreciated!! Thank you, all, in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 05:10 AM

366 posts, read 517,521 times
share accom in sobe is available for 1k a month. u dont need a car in sobe with the local trolley n bus service. craigslist is your bet bet to search for room mates. around west ave is walking distance to whole foods, bus services, beaches and restuarants and is far less tourist then heading east on the island

Old 10-26-2014, 10:50 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,942,754 times
If you can go up to $1100-1200, you may be able to find a studio or 1br in an older building in South Beach and not have to deal with room mates. North Beach is another more affordable option where you can get by without a car, *maybe* under 1k/studio if you're lucky, though your organic selection is pretty much limited to the organic section in Publix.... When I was last looking for apartments the lowest 2br I found was for $1500 (31 st), so sharing a place on the Beach is also an option.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:43 PM

Thank you croatbob. I found out a friend of mine is staying at Key West. Should I consider Key West instead of South Beach? Is it possible to survive there without a car, same concerns..?? How would I even go to Key West even if it is the best?? TY again very much, in advance for all the replies!!

Old 10-26-2014, 11:48 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,891 times
Key West you can survive without a car. Use a bike or scooter to get around or just walk. However if you go to the mainland thats another story. Key West doesnt have everything compared to SoBe

Old 10-27-2014, 01:14 AM

Hi hurricaneMan1992, I have been looking at the ads on Craig's List for a few weeks now, did not come across studios that cheap at South Beach. The cheapest I saw was 1400 without a stove, and pretty beaten up. I will keep looking but I don't have much time left..I don't know anything about North Beach..
I will look into that too.
Thanks very much for the input!!

Old 10-27-2014, 04:49 PM

366 posts, read 517,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transformatives View Post
Thank you croatbob. I found out a friend of mine is staying at Key West. Should I consider Key West instead of South Beach? Is it possible to survive there without a car, same concerns..?? How would I even go to Key West even if it is the best?? TY again very much, in advance for all the replies!!
key west is small. its also an older population. sobe would be far more entertaining and better for work options

Old 10-28-2014, 06:40 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,466,347 times
South Beach is the best option in this case. You can find something in your budget like a tiny studio with a tiny kitchen, nothing fancy. But you'd be in walking distance to many things.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:41 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,767,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace587 View Post
Key West you can survive without a car. Use a bike or scooter to get around or just walk. However if you go to the mainland thats another story. Key West doesnt have everything compared to SoBe
She couldn't even find a roommate to live with in Key West on her budget. It's very expensive there.

Also Florida is a commuter state. for the most part you need a car to get to most places unless you want to rely on a bus if a route is even in your area..

Old 10-28-2014, 12:54 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,942,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transformatives View Post
Hi hurricaneMan1992, I have been looking at the ads on Craig's List for a few weeks now, did not come across studios that cheap at South Beach. The cheapest I saw was 1400 without a stove, and pretty beaten up. I will keep looking but I don't have much time left..I don't know anything about North Beach..
I will look into that too.
Thanks very much for the input!!
Yeah, a lot of the cheapest places won't be on Craigs List. Craigs List here is mainly a front for Realtors and some agents at rental agencies which can be reluctant to help you if you're looking for a cheap place. But some of the rental agencies (Rent Cafe, Renter's Paradise, ect.) will help with the lower price range if you walk in ready to give a deposit and just see the first available agent.

I can tell you someone I know just moved out of a studio last month (clean and decent and the building had a small pool, but no parking of course) on Lincoln Road near the Bay, and they were paying $1250. In that same building there is one for $1200 on HotPads, and even a 1br for $1150 in the adjacent building, and there seem to be quite a few options at the $1100 level and $999 is the lowest I see. The rental agencies will use the same underlying system as Hotpads (the MLS), plus whatever else they're aware of. I recommend using them if possible, since often stuff on HotPads goes fast and already has applications, which the agent can find out pretty easily. Oh, and the owner pays the agency fee--it's not like in NYC where you pay them. They usually won't hold a place for you for more than a week or two, so looking closer to the time you will move is actually better. Believe me, I've wasted many hours looking at places 1-2 months before moving, to no avail.

Anything lower than $1100 in South Beach is likely to just have a sign in front, old-school style, and probably has some issues. Now in North Beach there are quite a few HotPads listings in the 900's, even for 1br's (some of these may have Section 8 neighbours, though...). North Beach is a 20-30 minute bus ride from Lincoln Road, and it's one of the few routes in Miami where busses are actually usable (10-15 minute frequency during the day, 20-30 minute frequency late in to the night, hourly in the wee hours). The City has been putting a lot of effort in revitalizing the neighbourhood, for example, the band shell just reopened, and they just started a free local trolley bus service now which claims 10-15 minute frequency late into the night. The only thing is you probably have to cab/uber/Zipcar for your Whole Foods runs (though people do take groceries on the bus here).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami