Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 01:06 PM

68 posts, read 133,520 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Miami and I had settled on living in S Ft Lauderdale, but everyone on this forum seems to think that that will be an impossible commute (west side of the airport). So I am trying to find workable areas in Miami again. At a minimum, I would need a 2 bedroom/2 bath. I would prefer a townhouse or condo and my budget is about $450K. I really want to be on the water or within a block or two of the beach. Bay Harbor Islands, Surfside and North Bay Village all seem like possibilities. Is there anything that I should know about those areas or what are some of the pros and cons? Thank you in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 03:23 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,454,477 times
the best thing is to rent for the first year. This way you get to know the area and different neighborhoods better.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:57 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,004,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
the best thing is to rent for the first year. This way you get to know the area and different neighborhoods better.
I will second that. Unless this is a job you are 100% certain is your job and the location you will be at always rent for a year.

North Bay Village is a good location, and a good safe area. It is nothing special in the village itself but you are close to the beach and Miami. Bay/Bal Harbor and Surfside are great. Bay Harbor actually has some smaller condos which aren't that nice, a little bit rundown but all the areas are extremely safe, right on or near the beach, in a good location close to many things. You can walk to eat and shop too. I can't really think of many cons for any of those areas. Maybe too many tourist and traffic can be annoying sometimes. But those are certainly better locations for a drive to MIA. There are other areas I can reccomend but if you want to be by the beach you got good spots there. Take a look at Sunny Isles too and maybe even find something in Miami Beach. I saw a 3 bedroom house in the 15th street residential area of Miami beach for around 300k. There are certainly options out there.

best of luck on the move, feel free to ask anything else.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:25 PM

68 posts, read 133,520 times
I have considered renting, but it would be at a significant cost to me. If I buy, the relocation will cover all of the closing costs and a portion of the interest. If I rent and later purchase a home, it is all on me. I will not buy something just to buy, but I want to do my best to find something if I can.

I am leaning towards Bay Harbor/Surfside, but Sunny Isles is not out of the question. I have a friend that lives in that area. I was just hoping to find something a little bit closer to work. Any other suggestions would be great. I really appreciate the great information!

Old 07-25-2012, 05:29 PM

309 posts, read 619,439 times
i live in the surfside area & love it cause it's close to the water on both sides, and is quiet & residential. It's close enough to the action to go out when i want to, but not be right in the middle of it.

the beach up here is beautiful too.... state recreation area with trees, grass, walking paths, picnic areas, nice wide beach. there's also a nice community pool in Normandy Isle, which is free to local residents.

cons are "not much to do"; there are some nice restaurants but no 'night life' to speak of; and no 'corner store' I can just run out to... for milk, a snack, or cigarettes ... closest is a bike ride or drive away.

the southern part of the area you're interested in, (Normandy Isle and North Beach up to about 88th, lower Surfside) has more apartments. I don't know which percentage are rentals and which are condo's for sale, but there are more apt. buildings in general in this area.

that changes around 88th St, going up to 96th, (upper Surfside and Bay Harbour area) where it starts to be more single family homes; it's a nice neighborhood with well-kept homes.

In North Bay Village proper, there's one lovely street right on the waterway where there are several apts & condo's.

(oh, and p.s. - Have lived here for a year and have never run across the 'speed trap traffic light' mentioned in the other Surfside thread. lol. just so ya know, that's not likely to happen on an everyday basis.)

Last edited by catt6; 07-25-2012 at 06:04 PM..

Old 07-25-2012, 08:18 PM

I think Surfside is a very good area. It's a great location, and a nice spot close to plenty in the neighborhood but also close to the "action" of downtown and Miami Beach. Very safe area too. Surfside, Bay Harbor and Bal Harbor all have their own police depts patrolling some fairly small areas.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:37 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,094 times
^I'd have to agree with the above, you should be able to afford a nice place in Surfside and it's a nice place to live. It would still be a rough commute though, since you have to go through North Miami (surface roads) and several school zones just to get to I-95, then you deal with a lot of traffic headed south to Downtown.

You may want to check out the mid beach section of Miami Beach ("millionairs' row"), since in that case you'd just take 41 st to the Julia Tuttle/195/Airport Expressway, then NW 36 st the rest of the way.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
^I'd have to agree with the above, you should be able to afford a nice place in Surfside and it's a nice place to live. It would still be a rough commute though, since you have to go through North Miami (surface roads) and several school zones just to get to I-95, then you deal with a lot of traffic headed south to Downtown.

You may want to check out the mid beach section of Miami Beach ("millionairs' row"), since in that case you'd just take 41 st to the Julia Tuttle/195/Airport Expressway, then NW 36 st the rest of the way.
Surfside to the airport I would take collins to alton road, Alton to 195. It wouldnt be too bad. Worth the good location.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:59 PM

309 posts, read 619,439 times
yep, it's super easy from here.... no need to go through downtown.

i live at 85th St., so i take the route down Collins to 41st, & turn right... 41st St. becomes Rte. 112... goes right to the airport, about 25 minutes sans traffic.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:12 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Surfside to the airport I would take collins to alton road, Alton to 195. It wouldnt be too bad. Worth the good location.
That's true, this route would also work and there's no toll! Alton is only a 30 mph road and you'd catch a bit of traffic going through North Beach, but it would definitely be less stressful than dealing with 125th and I-95.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami