Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 11:19 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times

Advertisements

There's a purple house in my home town here "up north" as well; but it's run by a self-described "psychic and spiritual adviser" who's quite Caucasian -- and raised plenty of protest from some of the more outspoken local Bible-thumpers. This is her second, more-elaborate and apparently successful attempt, after the first purple house mysteriously burned down. So race doesn't always have that much to do with things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 11:22 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,399,523 times
Well, I don't know why the other people only moved up to Broward, to get away from it. That's still too close to the problem. And the problem just spreads up there, in time. Where else is it going to go, the everglades? You need to move far away, like 75 miles.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:28 AM

683 posts, read 854,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
Well, I don't know why the other people only moved up to Broward, to get away from it. That's still too close to the problem. And the problem just spreads up there, in time. Where else is it going to go, the everglades? You need to move far away, like 75 miles.
Oh most definitely what you are saying is true. Palm Beach and up is safe. I lived in Melbourne, FL years ago and to this day it's the same. Most Cubans I say are sticking it out in Miami, they don't want the problems when leaving. Quite honestly the Cubans that do move to Broward conform to what is around them. The ones that don't have problems and end up moving back.

I moved all the way out the state. lol In Arizona, I will never have the English speaking problem or the tacky neighbors with entitlement issues anymore. I did when I lived in Miami.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:46 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,761,637 times
When I moved here in 2010 I had a few neighbors baffled because I built a modern home with coral rock and brick, with a flat roof covered with plants. When in Key Largo several people reacted negatively to my all white, mid century modern home because nearby homes were all that horrible ugly fake Mediterranean garbage with red tile roofs. Strangely nobody reacted badly to my bulldozer which serves as a mailbox holder and address board.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:17 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,899,965 times
Who cares? So much for "it's a free country"...

There is another saying, "Live and let live."

There are red houses like that all over the Northeast, it's a common color for New England. I don't care if the neighbor paints the house with stripes and sparkles, it's their house, not mine, and it's none of my business how they live - I have enough to do focusing on how *I* live. People only focus a lot on controlling others when their own life is totally out of control and miserable - they avoid cleaning it up by focusing on the actions of others rather than on their own actions, and the type of person they want to be in the world.

Bringing up where the person came from, and screaming at her like that, was completely irrelevant, undignified, and inappropriate. But many people have been born in this nation with no manners whatsoever. I stand by what is supposedly the foundation of our entire country, value system, and government - that you are free when you live here, as long as you do not cause physical harm to others. Believe whatever you want, like whatever colors you want, live how you want to on your own property. Micro-managing others in immaterial ways is what dictatorial countries do best. What we do best is allowing citizens to express their creativity, culture, and individuality however they want as long as it does not involve bodily harm to others.

If the color of your neighbor's house bothers you that much, you have way too much time on your hands, and a poor sense of priorities in life. Life is too short to waste on such nonsense, when people die randomly every day without a chance to say goodbye, and instead of spending quality time with your loved ones you are screaming at neighbors on the street in front of news cameras and the entire world. What a legacy to leave of the kind of person you were in this world, and the kind of time management skills you had.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:25 PM

683 posts, read 854,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
Who cares? So much for "it's a free country"...

There is another saying, "Live and let live."

There are red houses like that all over the Northeast, it's a common color for New England. I don't care if the neighbor paints the house with stripes and sparkles, it's their house, not mine, and it's none of my business how they live - I have enough to do focusing on how *I* live. People only focus a lot on controlling others when their own life is totally out of control and miserable - they avoid cleaning it up by focusing on the actions of others rather than on their own actions, and the type of person they want to be in the world.

Bringing up where the person came from, and screaming at her like that, was completely irrelevant, undignified, and inappropriate. But many people have been born in this nation with no manners whatsoever. I stand by what is supposedly the foundation of our entire country, value system, and government - that you are free when you live here, as long as you do not cause physical harm to others. Believe whatever you want, like whatever colors you want, live how you want to on your own property. Micro-managing others in immaterial ways is what dictatorial countries do best. What we do best is allowing citizens to express their creativity, culture, and individuality however they want as long as it does not involve bodily harm to others.

If the color of your neighbor's house bothers you that much, you have way too much time on your hands, and a poor sense of priorities in life. Life is too short to waste on such nonsense, when people die randomly every day without a chance to say goodbye, and instead of spending quality time with your loved ones you are screaming at neighbors on the street in front of news cameras and the entire world. What a legacy to leave of the kind of person you were in this world, and the kind of time management skills you had.
I think you are missing the point. Like you said red houses are the norm in the North East. So there is going to be a market of people to move there because particular people like it.

The same goes for neighborhoods with neutral colors. If I like a neighborhood with neutral colors I'm not going to want to see a red house. In that particular neighborhood the market value goes down. Because you lose potential buyers due to the red house. This is why there are different neighborhoods for different likings. Hialeah has tons of houses like that.

Should he have yelled? No? But we also didn't see the whole conversation. Plus when the parents started coming speaking Spanish when he knew that didn't speak Spanish added fuel to the fire.

My opinion is don't move to a neighborhood and try to change the aesthetics of it and be shocked when people balk.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:45 PM

798 posts, read 1,461,625 times
Default Oh yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boert View Post
In Quindio we paint all whites brown.
I know in Cuba that's common. I think they suffer from color blindness or something.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:59 PM

798 posts, read 1,461,625 times
Exterior house colors

Old 01-01-2016, 01:03 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,947,097 times
One really needs to worry when you see section 8 housing built, as I see beautiful homes in Brownaville with a smattering of projects that have been built as most know lower property values and cause people to move out.

Who ever said Cubans do not like trees is an ignoramus as there are plenty in Little Havana and many being planted in Hialeah. You see a few concrete lawns here and there, but I am not offended by them.

The thing I got or am against is vehicles being parked on the front lawns and on the grass strips near the street. I would fine to the hilt for that is an eyesore.

Last edited by perry335654; 01-01-2016 at 02:01 PM..

Old 01-01-2016, 01:17 PM

699 posts, read 611,551 times
Not Cuban here, nor hispanic but I got to say that red house looks better than the 90% of redneck houses in Broward county.

When my family came from the EC for Christmas and I began showing them neighborhoods in SoFla to buy homes for retirement, we got lost just south of Ft. Lauderdale, and the houses looked terrible and the people living in them were white, probably legitimate Florida rednecks. My mother was so put off, she crossed off Broward county and is now only considering Miami and parts of PBC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami