Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 08:08 AM

126 posts, read 219,612 times

Advertisements

I'd like to preface my questions below by saying I consider myself lucky to have any of these options.

I'm looking to purchase a condo in Coconut Grove, possibly in the next couple of years. Originally I was looking at Brickell but after researching we've decided that The Grove would be more suited to our lifestyle. I'm finding CG to be a bit more pricey than Brickell so my options may be a bit more limited at the pricepoint I can afford.

My dilemma is: Do I look for something in a newer building such as Grove at Grand Bay, Park Grove Club Residences etc. or do I look for a condo in an older building such as Grove Towers. I would just barely be able to afford "a less desirable" unit in the newer buildings but would be able to afford one of the larger units with a bay view in an older building. One of my concerns is the common area in the older building feels extremely dated with older decor and looks as if it has not been updated in decades. I'm specifically referring to Grove Towers. It makes me wonder about the financial health of the HOA or is the lobby decor not a priority?

Any feedback from anyone that has any real estate knowledge of CG would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 03:10 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,353,654 times
One of the best parts of the grove are the Townhomes, which should be well within your budget.

Do you specifically want a condo lifestyle/amenities?

Old 09-13-2019, 10:56 PM

38 posts, read 28,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr8999 View Post
I'd like to preface my questions below by saying I consider myself lucky to have any of these options.

I'm looking to purchase a condo in Coconut Grove, possibly in the next couple of years. Originally I was looking at Brickell but after researching we've decided that The Grove would be more suited to our lifestyle. I'm finding CG to be a bit more pricey than Brickell so my options may be a bit more limited at the pricepoint I can afford.

My dilemma is: Do I look for something in a newer building such as Grove at Grand Bay, Park Grove Club Residences etc. or do I look for a condo in an older building such as Grove Towers. I would just barely be able to afford "a less desirable" unit in the newer buildings but would be able to afford one of the larger units with a bay view in an older building. One of my concerns is the common area in the older building feels extremely dated with older decor and looks as if it has not been updated in decades. I'm specifically referring to Grove Towers. It makes me wonder about the financial health of the HOA or is the lobby decor not a priority?

Any feedback from anyone that has any real estate knowledge of CG would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Things can change a lot in a couple of years, but you don’t say your price range. You’ll find a wide range with a good sized inventory some as low as $500,000 in a older building.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:55 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
The newer the building the more amenities, the higher the HOA.

I'd go with an older building with a view.

We absolutely love Coconut Grove.

Old 09-26-2019, 06:13 PM

126 posts, read 219,612 times
Thanks to all for the feedback.

Marc - one of the appeals to me in a high rise is a view of the bay
My range should be roughly 800-1M

Any additional feedback about CG real estate and lifestyle would be appreciated
Thanks in advance

Old 09-27-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr8999 View Post
Thanks to all for the feedback.

Marc - one of the appeals to me in a high rise is a view of the bay
Ritz Residences are an option for you, depending on how big you want. Some units have 2-3 balconies with Bay views not very far off with no obstructions (for now of course, never know with Miami).

Yacht Harbour isn't bad, but it is older like you mentioned.

Grove Isle of course will get you as close to the water as possible and in your price range.

Park Grove sure is nice though!! but like you said, you'll be getting a 680sq ft 1 bedroom vs a 2 or 3 bedroom in these other buildings.

2 Bedrooms in Grove Tower on a high floor with water views are in the 700k range, could be an option.

Grove is a great place to live - much different than most of Miami. Lots of people outside walking, Yoga, dog parks, volleyball, boating with some nice restaurants. Major renovation happening at the old Cocowalk will bring new flair and businesses to the area. Gorgeous Trees surround old Florida homes and mansions, peacocks abound on the interior streets, and a real community vibe with long time residents

Old 11-15-2019, 12:27 AM

1 posts, read 526 times
These posts are a couple of months old (and I can’t for the life of me figure out how to start a new thread) but I’m also looking to move to Florida. My aging uncle lives in Key Biscayne and wanted me to move there, too, so we could be close, and because it was very safe, walkable, and a warm community. He also said that with traffic being so bad, he almost never went to the mainland so if I moved there, even if it was only 9 miles away on the map, it would be a bear.

However, Key Biscayne is expensive and it seems a little too isolated - I don’t see a major hospital, and I frequently go to different doctors, and it’s walkable but it’s also smallish, so I might walk the whole island in like four days.

I’m thinking of Coconut Grove, either Northeast or Southwest. I work from home, so my only commutes would be to my uncle, to grocery shopping, the library, the hospital, and cultural places like museums and gardens. I assume because Coconut Grove has a high walkable rating, it is a relatively safe neighborhood? I wouldn’t walk down alleys at night or do anything obviously stupid, but I should be able to walk around by myself at sunrise or sunset or ride the metro on the weekend sort of thing?

Please advise, thank you so much! Some things you really need to ask people on the ground, though I will go see things before I buy.

Old 11-15-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcceleste View Post
I’m thinking of Coconut Grove, either Northeast or Southwest. I work from home, so my only commutes would be to my uncle, to grocery shopping, the library, the hospital, and cultural places like museums and gardens. I assume because Coconut Grove has a high walkable rating, it is a relatively safe neighborhood? I wouldn’t walk down alleys at night or do anything obviously stupid, but I should be able to walk around by myself at sunrise or sunset or ride the metro on the weekend sort of thing?

Please advise, thank you so much! Some things you really need to ask people on the ground, though I will go see things before I buy.
Yes, you are right on Coconut Grove, and with the re-vamp of Cocowalk, its only getting better. They just put up the first luxury high rise in the last year (first time in a long time they've built a tower in that area). New boutique restaurants are coming to the area, lots of great little shops, etc.

Key Biscayne is a lifestyle, so people who walk it in 4 days don't feel that way. They drive their golf cart around the island, go to the beach a lot, probably own a boat, have a size-able savings, or send their kids to the A-Rated MAST school. Its a great place to live, but yes its more isolated. However, its an easy drive off the island and people love to run/bike the island. Once you're over the bridge, you're a short drive from the VERY busy Brickell area. That could be a great option for you as well and you can take the Metromover/MetroRail all over Miami (including to the main hospital district).

Brickell will have nicer, newer high rises & tons of options to pick from where as the Grove will be more limited and has either very expensive condos or smaller/cheaper ones and lots of $600k+ townhomes & $ 1ML+ homes.

Which of that sounds more like what you're after while in Miami?

Old 11-15-2019, 07:19 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,537,276 times
I would exercise some caution walking at night in the Grove as it is does border some questionable areas. In fact, a security guard was shot and robbed at the Courtyard by Marriott on Bayshore Drive last week. Not a regular occurrence but not an isolated event either nor something that should scare you from the area if that is where you have your heart set on.

What is your age, status?...I like the Grove and welcome the further development as the immediate local neighborhood has only a few blocks of interest to me (restaurants, bars, coffee shops) at the present time. It does tend to attract an older, well to do crowd (you might even run into Arod at Greenstreet Cafe or Coach Spoelstra at Lulu) since it’s an expensive area. If you are looking for a more/larger social area with a younger demographics you should consider Brickell, which is only 12-15 minutes away via surface streets and is also highly walkable.. Good that you are working from home as entrance to, exit from, and proximity to the highway can get backed up at times in the Grove. Street parking can be a PITA in the Grove, unless you are living there and walk to most of the places that will serve your daily needs.

Old 11-15-2019, 03:10 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,482,156 times
Marc, where is the main hospital district in Miami?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami