Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 11:24 AM

170 posts, read 190,167 times

Advertisements

Miami rudest city. This is a Travel and Leisure report. It is an established media source. Why would they lie or fabricate results?

Miami Named America's Rudest City by Travel + Leisure | Miami New Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 11:24 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
LOL ok...

I hope the "pockeful of sunshines" that complain about Miami finally find their paradise someday. We have seen them year after year biatching about Miami and they move somewhere else and start biatching about their new place. There's a common denominator there.

Miami like any other place in the US has its share of nice and nasty people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGgs89UeWt4

Last edited by Sugah Ray; 07-03-2016 at 11:35 AM..

Old 07-03-2016, 11:51 AM

874 posts, read 900,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil Torres View Post
Miami rudest city. This is a Travel and Leisure report. It is an established media source. Why would they lie or fabricate results?

Miami Named America's Rudest City by Travel + Leisure | Miami New Times
Actually, I agree this is an area for improvement. For a city that is so dependent on tourism, we don't do nearly enough to welcome people that visit.

Two main issues I see:

1) the low wages paid to many in the hotel and restaurant sector. (Just waiting for the usual suspects to blow a gasket about this). Honestly, if you're running a high-end hotel, and not paying a premium wage for those who interact with your guests... you're a fool.

2) the fact that many of those workers are not required to be fluent in English... far too often I have people pretend to not understand what I'm saying in English... which just means that I switch to Spanish and then complain to the manager. If you're a service employee.. your manager should expect you to cater to the customer's preferences not your own. I actually see this one getting better... but I know that a lot of my English only friends run into this issue routinely.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:46 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
2) the fact that many of those workers are not required to be fluent in English... far too often I have people pretend to not understand what I'm saying in English... which just means that I switch to Spanish and then complain to the manager. If you're a service employee.. your manager should expect you to cater to the customer's preferences not your own. I actually see this one getting better... but I know that a lot of my English only friends run into this issue routinely.
I was called a racist and a liar when I said this. Lol. I was told this never actually happens in Miami.... At least you are not in denial and honest about this issue.

That said. I think certain areas that are more tourist dependent, like Miami Beach, don't really have this issue. I worked as a waiter on Miami Beach for years and I'd say half the staff didn't speak Spanish, let alone only Spanish. Lots of Russians and Europeans working on the beach. The issue with Spanish speakers at customer service jobs is more of a suburb issue in Miami, in my opinion. It may just be a lack of qualified people who speak great English, which is innocent enough. These areas are almost entirely Spanish speaking, and the people who live there speak Spanish almost all day, at home, etc. So it's understandable that their English is poor.

This is, of course, why I tend to steer non-Spanish speakers away from these areas IF they are personally uncomfortable living somewhere like this, as many are.

Old 07-03-2016, 01:21 PM

7,410 posts, read 6,553,115 times
does it really matter?....NY'ers used to have the reputation for being the most rudest--depends upon your definition of rude...if being direct is rude, I plead guilty....the other end of the spectrum is to be overly politically correct. I often find people who drive 45MPH in the left hand lane on the highway and refuse to move over, get on the elevator before they allow you to get off, checkout at the grocery store in the express lane with 27 items aren't considered rude but the people, in the right, who speak up to correct them are (????) ...as I posted on another forum, I get along much better with other miserable people than I do with the phonies who "make lemonade out of lemons".....for those easily offended who want to be around the most polite people in the world, that's why Disneyland and Disneyworld were created--fairy tales can come true, it can happen to you. I find those accusing others of being rude, often lack basic common courtesy and common sense themselves.

Last edited by elchevere; 07-03-2016 at 01:32 PM..

Old 07-03-2016, 01:33 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
As I said in another thread, it's another "top list" because few are actual journalist any more.

As for "established media source" sure, yes, but the methodology?

Quote:
The nitty-gritty: Travel + Leisure’s America’s Favorite Places survey opened on 10/8/2015 and closed on 04/15/2016. It was open to everyone, and ran alongside a sweepstakes. The open-response survey asked respondents to submit their favorite place and rate it in over 65 categories, including affordability, notable restaurants, and public parks. Cities are defined as governed bodies with a population over 100,000.
Not exactly scientific.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:18 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
does it really matter?....NY'ers used to have the reputation for being the most rudest--depends upon your definition of rude...if being direct is rude, I plead guilty....the other end of the spectrum is to be overly politically correct. I often find people who drive 45MPH in the left hand lane on the highway and refuse to move over, get on the elevator before they allow you to get off, checkout at the grocery store in the express lane with 27 items aren't considered rude but the people, in the right, who speak up to correct them are (????) ...as I posted on another forum, I get along much better with other miserable people than I do with the phonies who "make lemonade out of lemons".....for those easily offended who want to be around the most polite people in the world, that's why Disneyland and Disneyworld were created--fairy tales can come true, it can happen to you. I find those accusing others of being rude, often lack basic common courtesy and common sense themselves.
I've found most urban areas to be pretty similar in "rudeness" in the United States. Everyone complains about awful drivers in Florida, but what I saw in Chicago last month blew away anything I've seen in Miami Same with rudeness. There are rude and inconsiderate people all over. I think Miami has a lot of inconsiderate people (though I think it's unintentional and cultural), more than other areas, but maybe not necessarily intentionally rude.

Rudest people I've been around were Germans, in Germany. Noticeably so. Beyond that, most US cities are pretty similar, I think.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:16 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,883 times
Because this is not the reality that I experience here. I'm poor as a churchmouse but I still get treated great when I go out and I never tire of the scenery and the weather here. Of course, if I were raising a family here and trying to arrange schooling for kids and jobs and all the other things that some people are having to deal with, that might change my perspective a bit. So far, any hardships that I've had to deal with out here has been worth it.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:40 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
I'll come right out and say why Miami is not so great these days, it is because of the huge influx of Hispanics. There are a lot of really great Hispanic people, but a large percentage are not. Crime has risen dramatically as a result and the quality of life there has dropped significantly. Going there is like visiting a foreign country.

We are seeing that creep over to where I live, SW Florida. Every week we get an email from one of our stores saying something to the effect "Watch out, we had two Hispanic males in here trying to pass bad credit cards. They may be coming your way." A cop friend tells me that the majority of calls he has to make these days involves "names that end in EZ."

Not being a Donald Trump here, just stating facts as I see them on a first hand basis. Just yesterday, we had a Hispanic male taking pictures in one of our stores, and that has been a pattern a few days before they break in and clean out the place.

At least once a week we get someone of Hispanic persuasion who will come in and start randomly asking for expensive items, and when we get to the register and ask to call their credit card in, they get upset and leave. Usually to a Mercedes or Cadillac parked in back of our business. It is a shame, because now we are suspicious of any Hispanics who come into our store.

I went to the Miami area to drop off some parts, and there was a big chain link fence around the place. To get in I had to blow my car horn and then came out and checked me out before opening the gate. They said they were being robbed too many times to let just anyone come in there.

Don

Old 07-04-2016, 01:37 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I'll come right out and say why Miami is not so great these days, it is because of the huge influx of Hispanics. There are a lot of really great Hispanic people, but a large percentage are not. Crime has risen dramatically as a result and the quality of life there has dropped significantly. Going there is like visiting a foreign country.

We are seeing that creep over to where I live, SW Florida. Every week we get an email from one of our stores saying something to the effect "Watch out, we had two Hispanic males in here trying to pass bad credit cards. They may be coming your way." A cop friend tells me that the majority of calls he has to make these days involves "names that end in EZ."

Don

Yeah Don, a large percentage of The Hispanics are not very nice people. Last I heard they are hiring their out of state friends to kill their wives with a hammer. Do you know what EZ stands for? those are the initials for "I'm a criminal" in Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami