Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2008, 07:09 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,377,955 times

Advertisements

I think the property tax cut was not in Florida's best interest. Well I think hiking up property tax in the first place was a dumb idea. Anyway I work in the education sector and I have seen the effects of this property tax and they are not good. Here is one such example

link (broken link)

Florida needs to think of something quick or that 30,000 a year inflow might become negative at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 07:18 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,058,030 times
PS..the local governments are just going to raise their local taxes and special assessment fee's to recoup their losses. In the end, the greedy citizens who voted YES for ammendemnt one are going to lose.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:23 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,309,470 times
Why are we the taxpayers giving students $3,000 each to go to private schools in the first place? How is this different from private school vouchers that the courts have struck down in the past?

Old 02-20-2008, 08:33 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,377,955 times
roger

If they do fund education

1. People graduate from high school
2. they apply for grants and scholarships to local schools
3. they go to local schools
4. they then enter the local work force
5. big companies are able to get well educated locals
6. the workers help to spur the economy by buying goods and services locally

If they don't fund education

1. they graduate from high school
2. they apply to grants and scholarships out of state
3. they settle down in their new city
4. help spur the economy in the new area they now live in

So we can either fund education and as a byproduct help spur the local economy. Or you help to increase the already rampant brain drain going on down here.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:25 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,309,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
roger

If they do fund education

3. they go to local schools
4. they then enter the local work force.
Is there really any evidence that they get local jobs? Most of the people in my company here are from out of state (out of the country, China , actually).
I would assume that when someone is getting ready to graduate college that, ifthey were smard, they would cast a wide net looking for the best job offering throughout the whole country. Certainly Miami wages won't be more attractive just because one went to school down here. Now if there was a requirement that they work here for a number of years when they took the money then that would be different. I think some grants to doctors are like that. The granter can require the new doctor to choose form a limited number of areas to work in. Usually they are small towns that need doctors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: