Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 01:48 PM

19,448 posts, read 27,884,744 times

Advertisements

We are doing a one week home exchange on Williams Island at the beginning of November. "We" means four senior citizens with the usual aches and pains. We're not looking to do any zip lining, hiking, or water skiing.

We enjoy dining out - especially ethnic places. Would love to do a few boat tours or maybe a fishing trip, if costs are reasonable. We're open to other activities, given our physical limitations, and we will have a car.

Bars/restaurants on the water are particularly attractive since it's not something we get to enjoy very often (Gold Canyon, AZ and Raleigh, NC aren't exactly near the ocean). But ridiculously high prices **** us off (we're old, somewhat crotchety and retired. It happens.) Wine tastings and happy hours are always good diversions.

Suggestions, please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 09:07 PM

874 posts, read 902,274 times
I'll recommend the Lux Cafe in Aventura mall. Their happy hour gets good reviews.

I also like Aruba up in Broward, which is seaside and relatively affordable, but that's kind of a drive.

I'm surprised we haven't seen other comments yet.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:34 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,325,192 times
Almost every restaurant near the water in Miami caters to the wealthy.

Houston's at 17355 Biscayne Blvd might have water views, but I'm not sure. On the 79th Street (JFK) Causeway there are Shuckers and Benihana with waterfront views.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:32 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,641,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
I'll recommend the Lux Cafe in Aventura mall. Their happy hour gets good reviews.

I also like Aruba up in Broward, which is seaside and relatively affordable, but that's kind of a drive.

I'm surprised we haven't seen other comments yet.
They asked for ethnic places and you recommend a cheesecake factory concept national chain restaurant?

Roadtrip, too. You guys are too funny. So OP, if you didn't have enough chain restaurants where you are from, I hope you like vacationing to check out some new chain restaurants.... Really get that "local flavor" when visiting new places. May I suggest Chili's? Nothing says "ethnic Miami" like a spinach dip.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
They asked for ethnic places and you recommend a cheesecake factory concept national chain restaurant?

Roadtrip, too. You guys are too funny. So OP, if you didn't have enough chain restaurants where you are from, I hope you like vacationing to check out some new chain restaurants.... Really get that "local flavor" when visiting new places. May I suggest Chili's? Nothing says "ethnic Miami" like a spinach dip.
I think he was going for the waterfront vibe.

What suggestions do YOU have?

Old 10-05-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I think he was going for the waterfront vibe.

What suggestions do YOU have?
That's not an area I dine in. But there is numerous websites that can help you find great local places. Try Yelp.

You can also check out our South Florida restaurant review show: Check, Please! South Florida - WPBT2 South Florida Public Media

Just typing in "Restaurants" on Google maps when you are hovered over the area will bring up tons of places along with ratings and review.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:04 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,325,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post

It's mind-boggling that you live in South Florida and think there are funky ethnic cheap waterfront restaurants.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
It's mind-boggling that you live in South Florida and think there are funky ethnic cheap waterfront restaurants.
Ethnic and waterfront were 2 different parts of the original post. There is tons and tons of water front places that have a little more character than Houston's or visiting a chain restaurant at the mall.... As I said, I don't know that area that well.

It's a bit of a drive, but may Garcia's on the Miami River. Or Le Tub in Hollywood. There is countless places on the water, really. But they will need to drive (other than Houston's, granted) - but that area around Dumbfounding Bay is all residential pretty far north and south.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:49 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,037,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
There are; you all are just focusing on the wrong bodies of water. There's Jimbo's Sandbar on the Intracoastal Waterway in Dania Beach:

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/jimb...g8lHHCJoe3YSYw
https://www.yelp.com/biz/jimbos-sandbar-dania-beach-2

There's Monty's on Biscayne Bay in Coconut Grove (This was my hangout when I attended UM 40 years ago.):

Monty's Raw Bar - Coconut Grove, FL
https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/mont...8jnxTWgqTKcmmw
https://www.yelp.com/biz/montys-coco...-coconut-grove

Here's one on the Miami River in Brickell:

Brickell Restaurant & Bar | American Social Miami
https://www.yelp.com/biz/american-social-brickell-miami

And another one on Miami River in a funkier section of town called Lummus Park:

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/garc...11pfw09wBB3S3Q
https://www.yelp.com/biz/garcias-sea...nt+restaurants
Garcia's Seafood Grille & Fish Market - Miami River, Florida | World FamousF Whole Fried Snapper | Fresh Seafood

There are others as well, but I wouldn't want to completely boggle your mind.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:09 PM

I'm not trying to be argumentative - I appreciate the suggestions and the links. Truly, I do.

But Coconut Grove and Lummus Park are 45 minutes away from Williams Island, aren't they?

Brickell and Dania Beach appear to be 30 minutes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami