Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2016, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,269 times

Advertisements

I have a driveway its concrete.I have an approach, its the size of a car. on the approach(swale area ) I have no concrete, no bricks, no asphalt. Its the original approach. the house was built in 1953. back in October I got a notice of a code violation from the city. stating that the material of the driveway approach must match the material of the driveway. I moved in 1986 its always been this way. I say what? This is crazy! They want to force me to spend close to 4 thousand dollars on something I can not afford right now. They say they want to do this to all citizens of nmb, fla. I have spoken to some. They are not very happy about it. Most live pay check to pay check. I say they are wrong. They can not legally do this. Am I right? PLEASE HELP!!! I NEED SOME MUCH NEEDED ADVICE..... If the city is right. Those homeowners who have a concrete driveway and an asphalt approach, must rip out the asphalt and replace it with concrete or if you have brick and asphalt. There are those who have two lines of concrete driveway(the original) and a natural or asphalt approach. They must add concrete to the driveway and approach or have an asphalt- asphalt match, at a much higher cost. See where I am getting. THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 04:54 PM

874 posts, read 899,259 times
It's unusual for a city not to grandfather in existing properties. Do you have historic photos documenting that this situation has been there for decades? Go into the code enforcement office in person, and ask nicely if there's any policy regarding grandfathering? But the minute you make the slightest change, you would probably lose that status.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:49 PM

604 posts, read 617,742 times
isn't that city property?

Old 11-28-2016, 04:08 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
I did a little Google search and it looks like its part of the ordinance of North Miami Beach. Now if you can be grandfathered in is the question? North Miami Beach Driveway Approach Ordinance

Old 12-03-2016, 09:36 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Get the property jacket from the county tax assessor. Then try and get the original plans from the building department. Once you can prove it was built the way you have it send them an official notice with the included information. If they will not listen go ahead and file a lawsuit in circuit court. maybe you can get the useless local media on your side? What you are experiencing is typical of what municipalities have been doing the last few years in an attempt to generate revenue. Caselaw supports your assertion that goverments cannot force you to upgrade construction they originally approved as long as you make no significant changes. My experience is that when you go to the city with the pictures taken in 1953 they will just drop the whole nonsense as they know what they are doing is illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami