Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 12:31 PM

1,031 posts, read 639,856 times

Advertisements

havent posted in a few years and was curious how the area has changed.

I am 39, white, big strong farm boy from an international background. [hawaii, south africa, brazil]
I speak Spanish, love my guns and off road lifestyle and I have a few animals however no children. I have a great job offer with zoo Miami, looks like an easy commute via country back-roads.

I am looking for a rural secluded property for my animal rescue organization, looks like the prices are still good.

I am currently in extreme east collier county near ave maria and plan to commute until I can pick up a place.

I currently own 2 homes free and clear [about 180k in total equity]

I've visited Miami a few times but never had a chance to stay in homestead.

in some demographic research I found zip codes in homestead that list as predominately white and Hispanic.
33030/33031/33034 primarily, I understand why american whites are concerned about predominate hispanic neighborhoods but i find rural hispanic populations very friendly, safe and helpful, it seems that if you grew up in latin america or mexico/cuba you are happy to be living in america, frankly poor white neighborhoods are far less appealing to me. Poverty is always the problem not race but I understand why people can be so race nervous. I also believe the imminent end to the "drug war" will reduce crime by 90% in south florida.

I want to live where I can have a hobby farm, shoot my rifles and ride my dirt bike, nightlife restaurants and party's are not important to me.

Having grew up in the rural tropics I feel that I will fit in nicely in homestead.

After doing a bit of looking the rural area west of zoo miami just over the canal where richmond runs into the everglades seems like its gone downhill?? That was the area where the guys were shot in a suspected cockfighting ring and that young Mexican fellow was murdered by his friends in the last few months. What the heck is going on out there?

Am i correct in assuming the rural areas north of homestead have gone downhill??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 01:40 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,132,801 times
No, the rural areas (the Redland) north of Homestead have not gone downhill. There are avocado groves, mango groves, farm fields (corn, beans, tomatoes, squash), fields of palms, a few large estate homes. I would suggest that you take a drive in the area of SW 216 Street down to 296 Street with Krome Avenue (SW 177 Avenue) as your center point. I have lived in the Homestead area since 1978.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:16 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,827,883 times
How much are you looking to spend, 180k is going to be tough for the area especially if you are looking for acreage for your animal rescue.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:11 PM

i can survive on less than 3 acres however crime is the primary concern, after south africa I figure Miami is a walk in the park.

"straight" that's 180 cash once i sell my "holdings"...I know how to handle the short sale...lol
I have lived in some seriously minimalist conditions before, Hawaii primarily.

"popcorn", can you suggest a zip code, i will have a run at that area you suggested.

great reply's folks, thanks for the effort.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:25 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,827,883 times
180k is going to be tough. A small house on 1 acre might cost more than that. There are few short sales around, in my opinion the time to buy has past. There just aren't that many good deals around like before.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:25 AM

the market is definitely changing but it seems rural properties are still less effected than condos and "normal" homes.

I found a few at the 150k mark but they seem to have some problems. Guess I better drive around and look for by owner sales or I'm gonna have to buy raw land and "camp" on it for a while.

Looks like some folks have done this before, you can build a livable structure call it an agricultural building and live there, you just can resell the property as a single family home.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:40 PM

48 posts, read 41,326 times
Did OP finally make the move to Homestead? How do you like doing farming there?

Old 08-16-2017, 01:14 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,763,852 times
I too am curious as to what happened. A friend of mine gave up on south dade and went to Loxahatchee instead.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:14 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,424,256 times
Interesting. I often wonder where the heck I could move where I could have some land and feel safe as a single woman.

Was thinking of Lake County but I actually love the Miami area and wouldn't want to be too too far away.

Tough choices!

Old 08-22-2017, 06:50 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,132,801 times
I lived in the Homestead area (south of 296 Street) from 1978 to mid 2016. I never felt fearful of my personal safety, but my home, which I purchased in 1993, was broken into 3 times and attempted (ran when the alarm went off) about 6 times. Always when I was at work, during the daytime. I had numerous plants stolen from my yard, fruit picked without my permission, etc. Crime is really bad in Homestead, proper. The town is dirty, more homes are rented, less upkeep, cars parked all over front lawns, etc. My home was located in what was a good part of town, called the old northwest section. This is the area south of 296th street and south to and including NW/NE 16th Street and both east and west of Krome Avenue. There are still some nice homes in this area. Many of the homes were built in the 1950's with a few older homes built in the 1920's. The area is getting more and more Hispanic/Haitian/Central American. Not bad or good, just is happening.

My home, 1345 sq ft on 1/2 acre (3 lots) sold for $202,000.00 last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami