Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 07:33 AM

613 posts, read 360,947 times

Advertisements

The likelihood is growing South Florida will accommodate at least some impact from Irma.

As the new home owner, question for folks who have been through hurricanes of that strength before:

1) How long does does the electricity usually go out for?

2) Is Miami really prone to flooding that much? Most of what we have seen e.g. in Houston is due to large river that make things much worse. What's the worst flooding you have ever seen in this area?

3) Do large trees like royal palms or olive trees break under Cat4-Cat5 winds?

Could have many more but that's just most interesting ones I have. My wife freaks out and wants to fly out ahead of time, but given I have just invested in hurricane windows, I think we might be just fine if we get a generator
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 07:44 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,133,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immerse View Post
The likelihood is growing South Florida will accommodate at least some impact from Irma.

As the new home owner, question for folks who have been through hurricanes of that strength before:

1) How long does does the electricity usually go out for?

2) Is Miami really prone to flooding that much? Most of what we have seen e.g. in Houston is due to large river that make things much worse. What's the worst flooding you have ever seen in this area?

3) Do large trees like royal palms or olive trees break under Cat4-Cat5 winds?

Could have many more but that's just most interesting ones I have. My wife freaks out and wants to fly out ahead of time, but given I have just invested in hurricane windows, I think we might be just fine if we get a generator
Just addressing Royal Palms: Royals have the ability to snap off their leaves, thus the main trunk usually remains upright. The large leaves or fronds are heavy enough that they may (MAY) damage what they fall upon.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:46 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,766,593 times
I love it when people get a nice hurricane scare. Brings them back to the reality of living in an overpriced swamp.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:13 AM

613 posts, read 360,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I love it when people get a nice hurricane scare. Brings them back to the reality of living in an overpriced swamp.
Feeling better now? If I can afford it, maybe it's not overpriced to me? Get on point or gtfo with your insecurities on the mental problems board of this forum

Old 09-04-2017, 08:18 AM

30,462 posts, read 21,309,635 times
You guys are all worked up over nothing let a expert like me give ya the hard core facts.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:19 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,766,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Truer words were never spoken I am so glad to be out of the overpriced swamp and tucked safely into Indiana. Ahhhhhhhhh........
I have a friend from Key Largo who moved to Ohio. He sold his place to an idiot who wanted to retire there and took his family north.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:20 AM

Bring it on. Nice to see a state crossing storm ,like we had in 04 with jean and Francies or whatever they were called. Nothing lites my fire like a cane coming my way. Just weaken it to a Cat 1 and enjoy some 70mph wind and rain. All depends on a low well to our northwest and the high that is well out at sea 2331 miles northeast of FL. If the low digs down to the south it will pull the storm more to the north, if the high sinks south and builds in it would push it more to the west. And under the perfect set up it could pass just north of Cuba and take a hard right. Remember, upper level sheer in the south part of the gulf will help reduce the power of the storm at this time. But i would not worry about a thing for another 5 days. It is all up to the upper levels on how it steers this storm.
Worst case it gets south of FL and the upper level dig down and the upper level sheer goes away and allows for great outflow and exhaust that would allow the storm to blow up in power in under a days time to a super Cat 5 with gust to 220mph+ making landfall just north of Tampa bay. But don't count on anything at this time as it is way toooooo early to know what the upper levels have in store for us.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,343,415 times
If a cat 4 hits Miami its going to be a disaster, think of winds of 130-156 mph with gusts even higher pounding your house with all manner of debris for 12 hours or more, then consider a 15 to 20 ft storm surge over an area that is already at sea level.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If a cat 4 hits Miami its going to be a disaster, think of winds of 130-156 mph with gusts even higher pounding your house with all manner of debris for 12 hours or more, then consider a 15 to 20 ft storm surge over an area that is already at sea level.
At least surge over around Miami won't be near as bad as it would on the west coast around Clearwater. The water is 1500ft deep not very offshore of the beach in Miami while on the west cost 1500ft is 139 miles offshore.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:38 AM

2,532 posts, read 1,868,682 times
Back with Wilma in 2005 I remember parts of south florida were w/o power for months. But I reckon it was at least a couple weeks in most areas. I was in the Keys for the storm and we were w/o power for 3 days. Thankfully we had a cool front to cool it off.

Since then however I think some things have improved but you could still be looking at a power outage from a few days to a month possibly. Depends on how many trees have fell.

It would depend on the tide but yes Miami generally floods easily, especially Miami beach. Reason is that a lot of the areas used to be swamps. The land was just drained and filled in.

If said trees are trimmed up usually yes but unfortunately that won't guarantee tree won't fall. Doesn't mean it will either.

Just have to be prepared. Have basics. Water, non-perishable foods, batteries, flashlight, gas etc. Fill up your tub with water before the storm comes. Tie up or bring in any loose goods from outside. Also take pictures of everything for insurance purposes. If you use generator use it outside. Carbon monoxide is odor-less and can kill you if exposed to too much of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami