Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2019, 10:47 AM

3 posts, read 2,779 times

Advertisements

so i am thinking about moving from the cold north to some place warm. i have been to miami and loved it. i however have no idea on where to even start for neighborhoods that i may want to live in. so maybe some of you fine folks can help.
1. i have a 3 year old daughter so schools are very important to me. need to have high graduation rate with lots of college bound students.
2. i like a little space between me and my neighbors, not asking for acreage but no townhouse, apartment, mobile home, etc.
3. clean and friendly neighborhood, low crime rate, educated and employed neighbors, maintained homes.
4.home price below $150,000.
5. Not tied to any region my wife and i have skills that can get use jobs just about anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 11:29 AM

1,333 posts, read 2,204,792 times
There are no home prices below $150k in good school districts. Period. Anywhere in South Florida. Even the bad areas have homes sell for more.

You'll need to look at central Florida. Places like Ocala, Pasco, Hernando, citrus counties. And even there $150k is very low.

Maybe Georgia or Alabama is better if that's your budget.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:04 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,030,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk17 View Post
so i am thinking about moving from the cold north to some place warm. i have been to miami and loved it. i however have no idea on where to even start for neighborhoods that i may want to live in. so maybe some of you fine folks can help.
1. i have a 3 year old daughter so schools are very important to me. need to have high graduation rate with lots of college bound students.
2. i like a little space between me and my neighbors, not asking for acreage but no townhouse, apartment, mobile home, etc.
3. clean and friendly neighborhood, low crime rate, educated and employed neighbors, maintained homes.
4.home price below $150,000.
5. Not tied to any region my wife and i have skills that can get use jobs just about anywhere.
You may want to move to 1979.

That would give you a little over $500k in 2019 dollars for your house in a clean and friendly neighborhood in a good school district. And even that would be a stretch.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:45 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,361,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post

Not sure where in 'bama..they aren't known for their schools..and the 'burbs of Georgia are pretty pricey now-a-days, but you can still get nice homes in the $250k+ range the Alpharetta area...anything near Atlanta will be expensive.

The OP could buy a $200k small 2/2 condo in Bay Harbor islands and be close to the beach and next to an A-rated school with minimal condo fees.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:53 PM

There are more options if he is willing to consider small condos. It's just not typically what famalies with kids prefer as their first choice. But there will definitely have to be compromises if he is serious and not just brainstorming ideas.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:00 PM

I'm less bothered by the traffic than the complete lack of driving skills or any semblance of "rules of the road." Things like stop signs, lane changes, red lights just seem to confuse people.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:00 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,899,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
There are no home prices below $150k in good school districts. Period. Anywhere in South Florida. Even the bad areas have homes sell for more.

You'll need to look at central Florida. Places like Ocala, Pasco, Hernando, citrus counties. And even there $150k is very low.

I agree,in S.Fla 150k might find you a very small condo in a mediocre area,in Central Florida you have to look into more rural areas in the counties you mentioned,maybe add Polk to that list.The prices in most of Orlando and Tampa are actually rising faster than Miami metro with population rising fast!!Either that or wait for the next real estate collapse to come and lower prices,getting a good house in a good area in Florida for 150k is not easy,like I said an older,smaller place you might luck out but not easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami