Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2009, 12:59 PM

12 posts, read 41,856 times

Advertisements

Hello, my wife and I are moving back to S Florida in May. I got a job near the Dolphin Expressway on Flager street. My wife wants to move to Aventura but people are telling me the commute would be horrendous. I will need to take 95S to the Dolphin. I will try to be at work by 7am and leave work around 6pm.

How bad do you think the commute will be? and if it is VERY bad, what other nice/safe/clean areas would you recommend that are easy access to the Dolphin/Flagler and similar to Aventura? We rather stay as close to Aventura or South Broward.

All of our family lives in North Broward. We have no kids yet but hopefully soon. We're both in our early 30s.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 02:39 PM

763 posts, read 3,533,563 times
Where exactly is your office, because Flagler Street runs parallel to the Dolphin Expressway. If it's closer to the east side of Flagler Street, then it won't be bad, but if it's closer to the west side, that's going to be a rough commute. I'd find a place close to where you're going to work. I'd actually look into Downtown or Brickell. There, you'd be going against rush hour traffic, since most people work in Downtown.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:14 PM

Hi kevinkagy

It's located nearby the Mall of Americas (87th Road and W Flagler). So you're saying living in Aventura is not a good idea? My wife grew up in NMB so she's familiar with Aventura.

Thanks!

Old 02-10-2009, 10:35 PM

350 posts, read 1,522,577 times
No way would I do that commute from Aventura to 87th & Flagler every day. It will indeed be horrendous. Not sure where to recommend to you - maybe Doral? It's not really like Aventura, but I think it's the closest decent neighborhood. But very far from your family in north Bwd. I don't think there are any easy answers here with those locations.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:41 PM

99 posts, read 426,004 times
Anywhere in Northwest Dade would make the trip am easy straight shot down the palmetto but still a heavily congested one. The Miami Lakes/Country Club/Palm Springs/Hialeah and Doral area is great. You would also be next to the Turnpike and I-75 to get to Browrd quickly, I-75 is the best stretch of road in South Florida, an easy smooth trip.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:35 AM

763 posts, read 3,533,563 times
Aventura to your work is a rough trip, so I'd look closer to where you work. Why make your life harder, you know? I'd look into Miami Springs (for a single family home) or Downtown and Brickell (for an apartment). They're much shorter commutes. That's about the extent of where I'd suggest you look. Maybe the area around FIU, which has a lot of apartments and single family homes or Doral, but I'd first look into Downtown, Brickell or Miami Springs.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:22 PM

Thanks for the info! Personally we pick Aventura and/or NMB because it's the only 2 areas we know from Miami. It's been 5 yrs since we moved away from FL so I'm assuming things def changed.

One other questions: I'm in Chicago. It takes me about an hour to get to work. How bad are we talking here? If it's less than hour, then I'm okay with it. Some of the people I was interviewed by lives in Miramar or Pembroke Pines. They said it takes 30-35 min taking I75 but I'm not familiar with SW Broward. They leave around 6:45am and leave work at 6pm. I guess traffic is not soo bad at that time, right?

We're also thinking of either renting or buying a condo. Any other input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by renriq01; 02-11-2009 at 12:31 PM..

Old 02-11-2009, 12:36 PM

710 posts, read 2,234,267 times
The Palmetto N & S around then is bad, but not horrendous if you're coming from a place that has traffic too. I would hesitate b/c you have that traffic PLUS the traffic in and out of Aventura -- just getting to I95 can be a bear in the morning.

I wouldn't disagree with Brickell, but then you'd have the bottleneck on the 836.
DW works in Blue Lagoon (so PAST Flagler, near 57th Ave). We live very close to UM off of US1. Takes her ~30 minutes door to door.

Aventura-your work -- probably ~1 hour, but it may be a boring, ugly, stressful hour. Hate to say it, but maybe you just need to get a temp place for a while and feel out some neighborhoods.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami