Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 09:18 AM

63 posts, read 192,433 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I knwo you have helped many a person on this forum. We are moving from Boston to Miami in July. We know nothing about area of Miami, except on the internet. We see both the love and hate for Miami. We need good news. This is a big move.

We are going to rent, then buy. What areas would be good for us? Concerned about good schools and a nice area for restaurants, cafes and fun things for kids.

My husband will be working on NW 27th street, near Miami International Airport. Not knowing the area, what would be the best commute for him?
I am a artist.

We hear about Coral Gables (good to rent?), Pinecrest. Would these areas fit?

Thanks for any info. We appreciate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 09:48 AM

108 posts, read 416,039 times
Hmm, how old are the kids? Since your intention is to rent first (good idea!), something that isn't perfect won't kill you and then you will have the time to scout out the area and the commute. To get started, don't live near the airport...so looks like yer guy needs to drive. While 826 and 836 are somewhat brutal, that is likely to be part of the plan. I wouldn't suggest SW 27th as the traffic won't be better anyway and it sounds like you are seeking a more suburban experence.

South Miami, the Dadeland area of east Kendall and some of Coral Gables near the Palmetto (826) should be a good start. Try looking from SW104th and US1 (near the ramp for the Palmetto), west to Galloway (SW 87th Ave), north to Bird Road (SW 40th street...how's your Spanish?), then east again to about Red Road (SW 57th Ave). This is an area of mixed single family homes, duplexes and some apartment buildings. Plenty of shopping, parks, decent schools (depends on the age of your kids and how smart they are and how disciplined they are...the magnet prgrams rock, but your kids need to be "talented" to get in...etc).

When I moved the family down here, we rented a house in South Miami near Miller (SW 56th St) and Ludlum (SW 69th Ave). We lived down the street from a couple good elementary/middle schools (at least their magnet programs were good) and only left because the kids were preschool aged and I wanted them to be in a barefoot hippy school in the Dadeland area, so we bought a house down there and they could walk to and from the school and home and there was a nice park across the street from the house. Later, they tested into the academic magnet program at Ludlum elementry in the neighborhood we first occupied and had to be bused or toted up there. Then to South Miami Middle (one in the music magent program and the other in the visual arts magnet program) right back where we started. Then to Coral Reef high school (music magnets)...by bus...pretty far south of the house.

So its a moving target depending on the kids, you know. If you plan to put down roots, follow your plan to rent, scout the neighborhoods, talk to other parents and to teachers and principles in the schools, and enjoy your subtropical home!

DR

Old 03-15-2009, 10:44 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,531,942 times
welcome,

miami is about as atypical a town as one will find in an otherwise homogenous united states. there are great communities near where your husband will work. miami springs immediately comes to mind followed closely by virginia gardens. both have great schools and are family oriented towns. miami springs has some nice places to relax and enjoy an evening or saturday PM outing. your are also quite handy to just about anywhere of interest in both dade and broward counties.

don't allow the naysayers to frieghten you miami is a great town, I wouldn't live anywhere else.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:29 AM

Our child is 6 years old. Thanks so much for the information.
We will be also from the other blog, checking into virginia springs, ect..

Now we have to find a reputable realtor to help us out from a far.
From your moves, would you reccomend anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Rico View Post
Hmm, how old are the kids? Since your intention is to rent first (good idea!), something that isn't perfect won't kill you and then you will have the time to scout out the area and the commute. To get started, don't live near the airport...so looks like yer guy needs to drive. While 826 and 836 are somewhat brutal, that is likely to be part of the plan. I wouldn't suggest SW 27th as the traffic won't be better anyway and it sounds like you are seeking a more suburban experence.

South Miami, the Dadeland area of east Kendall and some of Coral Gables near the Palmetto (826) should be a good start. Try looking from SW104th and US1 (near the ramp for the Palmetto), west to Galloway (SW 87th Ave), north to Bird Road (SW 40th street...how's your Spanish?), then east again to about Red Road (SW 57th Ave). This is an area of mixed single family homes, duplexes and some apartment buildings. Plenty of shopping, parks, decent schools (depends on the age of your kids and how smart they are and how disciplined they are...the magnet prgrams rock, but your kids need to be "talented" to get in...etc).

When I moved the family down here, we rented a house in South Miami near Miller (SW 56th St) and Ludlum (SW 69th Ave). We lived down the street from a couple good elementary/middle schools (at least their magnet programs were good) and only left because the kids were preschool aged and I wanted them to be in a barefoot hippy school in the Dadeland area, so we bought a house down there and they could walk to and from the school and home and there was a nice park across the street from the house. Later, they tested into the academic magnet program at Ludlum elementry in the neighborhood we first occupied and had to be bused or toted up there. Then to South Miami Middle (one in the music magent program and the other in the visual arts magnet program) right back where we started. Then to Coral Reef high school (music magnets)...by bus...pretty far south of the house.

So its a moving target depending on the kids, you know. If you plan to put down roots, follow your plan to rent, scout the neighborhoods, talk to other parents and to teachers and principles in the schools, and enjoy your subtropical home!

DR

Old 03-15-2009, 11:52 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,960 times
Talking Coral Gables !

IMHO you cannot go wrong renting in Coral Gables; the north end would be an easy commute to the airport area

Old 03-15-2009, 12:39 PM

108 posts, read 416,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twho62 View Post
Our child is 6 years old. Thanks so much for the information.
We will be also from the other blog, checking into virginia springs, ect..

Now we have to find a reputable realtor to help us out from a far.
From your moves, would you reccomend anyone?
I'm afraid the site policy is that we can't recommend businesses or products as that would be advertising. Otherwise I would tell you that I had happy dealings with a wonderful woman from a realtor in the Gables on South Dixie Highway near a canal just opposite the UM campus. PM for details, if you like.

DR

Old 03-16-2009, 07:19 AM

Thanks again. I didn't know about the site policy, but it makes sense.

What does PM mean? I am new to Forum.

Anyone like Pembroke Pines or cities around that area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Rico View Post
I'm afraid the site policy is that we can't recommend businesses or products as that would be advertising. Otherwise I would tell you that I had happy dealings with a wonderful woman from a realtor in the Gables on South Dixie Highway near a canal just opposite the UM campus. PM for details, if you like.

DR

Old 03-16-2009, 07:39 AM

32 posts, read 132,627 times
I agree with everyone that Coral Gables sounds like it would fit your needs.
Just wanted to say a quick Hello. My husband is Irish too and we live in Miami with our 10 month old daughter.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:44 AM

A nice hello back to you too. We just got back from Dublin - my six year old love Ireland. It is nice to know that there is Irish in Miami. There are certainly a lot up here in Boston.

Would you reccomend certain areas to rent (we will buy later) in Coral Gables? Or is it all good? I heard the schooling is good. Is Coconut Grove a good place for kids and adults?

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Kim View Post
I agree with everyone that Coral Gables sounds like it would fit your needs.
Just wanted to say a quick Hello. My husband is Irish too and we live in Miami with our 10 month old daughter.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:20 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twho62 View Post
Thanks again. I didn't know about the site policy, but it makes sense.

What does PM mean? I am new to Forum.

Anyone like Pembroke Pines or cities around that area?
The areas that have been recommended are good ones, but I would also suggest that you look into S. Broward and/or Miami Lakes.

I don't want to get hammered by other posters for being anti-Hispanic, because I am not. But, Coral Gables and S. Miami, while lovely places to live, are definitely culturally Hispanic. If you're OK with being a definite minority, then, by all means, put them on your list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami