Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 10:01 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,900,833 times

Advertisements

Yes, MDC has a nursing school in the Homestead campus. It would be cheaper to live there I'd think. I think MDC has some sort of partnership with Baptist. A friend or ours completed the nursing program through MDC/Baptist. She did her internship at Baptist Kendall and is working at Doctors Hosp. now. She was very happy with the program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 02:07 AM

20 posts, read 44,338 times
OK! You're talking my neck of the woods now! I went to MDCC.. although not in the Nursing program. I believe the best way to go is have him take the bus system and not drive... SERIOUS TRAFFIC!
Keys Gate is overpriced. Because of your limited income, you can get into some income controlled housing and you will qualify for food stamps and tempory cash assistance. Since your husband will be going to school, he will not need to meet the working requirement, but you will. What do you do? If you have an AA or eqv credits, you can sub in Dade County for 75-85$ per day. I know the schools.. Im a teacher. Just ask. The scores "kinda" give you an idea, but aren't always the best gauge. If you can get in Waterstone do that so you can get into Waterstone Charter Schools.

Any info you need.. PM me. I have lived here 40 years.. There is nothing I don't know or can't find out. I could probably even get you a job... depending on what you do.

D

Old 06-15-2009, 08:32 AM

4 posts, read 4,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kndwallace View Post
OK! You're talking my neck of the woods now! I went to MDCC.. although not in the Nursing program. I believe the best way to go is have him take the bus system and not drive... SERIOUS TRAFFIC!
Keys Gate is overpriced. Because of your limited income, you can get into some income controlled housing and you will qualify for food stamps and tempory cash assistance. Since your husband will be going to school, he will not need to meet the working requirement, but you will. What do you do? If you have an AA or eqv credits, you can sub in Dade County for 75-85$ per day. I know the schools.. Im a teacher. Just ask. The scores "kinda" give you an idea, but aren't always the best gauge. If you can get in Waterstone do that so you can get into Waterstone Charter Schools.

Any info you need.. PM me. I have lived here 40 years.. There is nothing I don't know or can't find out. I could probably even get you a job... depending on what you do.

D
How does one apply to be a sub?

Old 06-15-2009, 01:02 PM

Default Sub process

They have changed it a bit.. but go to www.dadeschools.net and you can print an application. It is ALWAYS best to do anything with dadeschools in person.. *sigh* they aren't the brightest bulbs on the tree...
You will need to pay 75$ to apply.. i think. it was less, but I heard they raised it. You will have to get fingerprinted (you have to pay for that too) Certification lasts 5 years.
Then there is a class on "How to Sub".. that's free.. believe it or not.
But, it's a fast process. If you start in the summer, you will be able to sub starting the first day. (Mid-Aug)Many schools will be missing teachers the first day of school and need subs. If you have a 4 year degree, you get paid 100$ (or close) per day, with an AA its a bit less. You don't have to have the degree, just equivalent credits. But if you put your name into the schools in your ares, you will have a job everyday. You will not be able to sub in the summer, Only certified teachers.
I would suggest if you arent into teaching and just doing it for money, sub at Elementary shools. It takes a patient person to do Middle, and someone that doesnt get intimidated easily to sub in a Senior High.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:14 PM

7 posts, read 17,708 times
where in north fl should i look?

the reason my husband was looking at miami dade is because of how they pick people for the nursing program. mainly cause there was no entrance exam. he wants a school that picks people by gpa or a weighed point system, for example, we are also looking at greenville tech in SC.

Thanks

Old 06-15-2009, 08:18 PM

MDC's Nursing Program is excellent. If you can manage to live here until The nursing pays off, do it. The thing is, if he takes a Scholarship, he has to commit to working for 3 years. Good thing is Baptist Hospital Systems are EXCELLENT to work for.
Homestead is probably the most affordable town that still has ok areas. There are some apartmens near the Falls that are reasonable.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:24 PM

7 posts, read 22,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica.davis2009 View Post
where in north fl should i look?

the reason my husband was looking at miami dade is because of how they pick people for the nursing program. mainly cause there was no entrance exam. he wants a school that picks people by gpa or a weighed point system, for example, we are also looking at greenville tech in SC.

Thanks

Hi Jessica! I think that the others are right that with your budget, your family will not feel very comfortable in Miami. The cost of living in Miami is very difficult, and to find a decent 2 bedroom near an MDC campus for less than $800.00 a month would be a miracle. Finding a two bedroom for less than $1000.00 is even extremely difficult, especially in a good school district.

If you have your heart set on Miami, living in Homestead might be your only option. There is an MDC campus in Homestead, while I don't know if it offers the classes your husband would need, it is possible.

Otherwise, try looking in Orlando. Seminole Community College has a good nursing program (I'm not sure about the entrance requirements, though) and the cost of living is much lower in Seminole County than Miami-Dade. It is realistic to find a decent 2 bedroom in Lake Mary or near the Seminole Towne Center mall in Sanford for your price range.

I don't know too much about Jacksonville/Tallahassee area, but you might want to research the colleges there. I know the cost of living is even lower than Orlando, but the colleges might not have what you are looking for.

Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami