Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 07:12 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,870,076 times

Advertisements

uhh, try finding a rental in swetwater ( sure you can find a rental here), or fountainbleu ( rents range from 700-1200) depending on the rental building you rent and size of apartment.

also if you can get section 8 help or any assisted living some of the apartments accept that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 07:52 AM

55 posts, read 126,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
uhh, try finding a rental in swetwater ( sure you can find a rental here), or fountainbleu ( rents range from 700-1200) depending on the rental building you rent and size of apartment.

also if you can get section 8 help or any assisted living some of the apartments accept that.
Dont give people false hopes. section 8 waiting list is around 70,000 households. Only overtown buildings by the river are avalaible cause nobody wants to live there not even for free. Homelessness might be a safer option than those buildings.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juleysis1990 View Post
Dont give people false hopes. section 8 waiting list is around 70,000 households. Only overtown buildings by the river are avalaible cause nobody wants to live there not even for free. Homelessness might be a safer option than those buildings.

wasnt giving false hope, section 8 isnt like public housing, if your rental apartment/community accepts it, and the goverment gives you section 8 you can live in the gables. and the biggest area that has section 8 is hialeah, and a rental apartment on 97th ave and nw 3rd st takes section 8.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:40 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,750 times
I am sorry, but your housing budget is just too low. I would budget for AT LEAST $800 for rent (nothing included); for even a desirable place; $900 to be more realistic. I was paying $825...for an apartment that was mediocre (as far as condition, neighborhood safety, pest control, etc.) in just about everyway except for the fact that it was close to a lot of things.

As far as Craigslist you have to (have to, have to) see the places for yourself. Anyone can post anything....and they do. I saw an ad for a $600/month studio on Miami Beach and I go to find out that it was a room in an old shoddy hotel that had a tiny electric stove thrown into it. Other ads are placed by people who convert a garage and call it 'an apartment' to bring in some extra income.

In some cases you can make out well if you opt for a roommate or a shared house. A good friend of mine lives in a gorgeous home in The Hammocks area of Kendall where she lives with an older lady (who owns the home) for $700/mo. She's been with her for 4 years. Nice set up...but she does not have any kids. However I believe she did in fact find the place on Craigslist.

I am single, so a lot of living situations that I would be fine with, I am sure you would not be. It is not fair, but it is easier when you have connections to the area already. Trust me...not all renters in South Florida are shelling out $1K/month in housing costs. But also many of them are renting off of a friend or a friend of a friend or a family member. As someone coming down to the area on their own, they'll need to spend a bit more.

It is frustrating, because fianancial aid does not really cover the true cost of living for students who are not working. Have you tried talking to FIU's housing office? Maybe they have a list of rentals (I would go with that before Craigslist!)

Old 07-12-2010, 04:13 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,386,098 times
As others have said you're probably going to have to make some tradeoffs. Even with costs aside you're not going to find anywhere "hip" that is also an easy commute by public transport and has good schools.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
I am sorry, but your housing budget is just too low. I would budget for AT LEAST $800 for rent (nothing included); for even a desirable place; $900 to be more realistic. I was paying $825...for an apartment that was mediocre (as far as condition, neighborhood safety, pest control, etc.) in just about everyway except for the fact that it was close to a lot of things.

As far as Craigslist you have to (have to, have to) see the places for yourself. Anyone can post anything....and they do. I saw an ad for a $600/month studio on Miami Beach and I go to find out that it was a room in an old shoddy hotel that had a tiny electric stove thrown into it. Other ads are placed by people who convert a garage and call it 'an apartment' to bring in some extra income.

In some cases you can make out well if you opt for a roommate or a shared house. A good friend of mine lives in a gorgeous home in The Hammocks area of Kendall where she lives with an older lady (who owns the home) for $700/mo. She's been with her for 4 years. Nice set up...but she does not have any kids. However I believe she did in fact find the place on Craigslist.

I am single, so a lot of living situations that I would be fine with, I am sure you would not be. It is not fair, but it is easier when you have connections to the area already. Trust me...not all renters in South Florida are shelling out $1K/month in housing costs. But also many of them are renting off of a friend or a friend of a friend or a family member. As someone coming down to the area on their own, they'll need to spend a bit more.

It is frustrating, because fianancial aid does not really cover the true cost of living for students who are not working. Have you tried talking to FIU's housing office? Maybe they have a list of rentals (I would go with that before Craigslist!)

FIU has rentals, cheap, but she has a kid, and thats a problem. also the FIU rentals look like government housing.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:08 PM

2 posts, read 7,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliciadorje View Post
We are looking for these things in a neighborhood:

-safety
-good public schools for the kid
-bikable, walkable
-produce market/mercado nearby
- not too much corporate presence
-artsy, hip
-mixed race
-not preppy
-access to public transit
-young 20-30s crowd around, but not really young professional types

THANKS!!!! Im sure I'll have lots more questions too.
Those are the qualities I would love to have in a neighborhood, which is why I'm leaving Miami. Born and raised here. You won't find good public transit, biking, walking anywhere here. The other qualities- you may be able to find them in a high-cost area like Brickell, or parts of the Beach. This is a huge, disjointed city, that isn't a melting pot, just a bunch of people who stick to their own. You aren't required to assimilate into the culture moving here, because there is none. Very individualistic, separated, and spread-out.

This is not to say you won't thrive here, but do not expect most of the qualities you listed in Miami, it's very different than other large cities.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:10 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,386,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPearl View Post
Those are the qualities I would love to have in a neighborhood, which is why I'm leaving Miami. Born and raised here. You won't find good public transit, biking, walking anywhere here. The other qualities- you may be able to find them in a high-cost area like Brickell, or parts of the Beach. This is a huge, disjointed city, that isn't a melting pot, just a bunch of people who stick to their own. You aren't required to assimilate into the culture moving here, because there is none. Very individualistic, separated, and spread-out.

This is not to say you won't thrive here, but do not expect most of the qualities you listed in Miami, it's very different than other large cities.
I disagree that there aren't "any" good areas to go biking or walking. That said, I do agree that said areas exist mostly in pockets and are relatively localized.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:43 PM

49 posts, read 133,382 times
Well, I am moving to Ft. Lauderdale in the summer 2011 and I might attend FIU. I'm a Social Work major. Right now, I'm attending a university in Alabama, but I can't deal with this place any longer and I'm homesick. I am also a single parent of 2 autistic children. How about trying places in Broward. You can probably find a 1bedroom in those price ranges.

Or maybe you can find a roommate who is also a single mom?? If you really want to live in Miami, check all of your options. Don't let anything stop you.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:29 AM

3 posts, read 4,036 times
i wish u the best of luck and i also am i single mom in school in miami. u will not find anything for that price. the places down here range from around $900 and up... and thats just for a studio or 1 bedroom. maybe u should try broward county. i think you would like it there better for a women with a child. although it is further away from FIU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami