Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 10:21 AM

72 posts, read 206,297 times

Advertisements

Seems like everyday that I check the online newspaper for Michigan, things are going in a positive direction. I hope it keeps going. Unemployment is dropping, which I am sure some of that is due to some people losing benefits and some moving out of the state to seek employment. But I am seeing new job listings and new companies coming in. I know it is slow, but at least it is steps, even if baby steps. Michigan is such a beautiful state that I would hate to see it keep such a negative light for too long.

What is everyone else seeing for the better of Michigan and it's economy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 10:35 AM

275 posts, read 441,835 times
I can't speak for the whole of it, but from my own perspective things are improving. My company is finally looking to reengage its service presence in Michigan, which is enabling me to find my way back home. They made the decision a few years ago to reduce their service workforce in Michigan, and cover the territory with Ohio based employees. They recently posted a new position in Michigan for what I do in Ohio, and I put in for it. I landed the job, and as of January 1st I am working full time on our Michigan accounts. I and my family will be moving later this year up to Ocqueoc, after we sell our house down here and our youngest son graduates from high school.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:53 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,902,635 times
I read somewhere...I can remember now, but it was just last week...the state is projected to add about 68,000 jobs in the next few years. Dont quote me on that exact number, but it was a pretty good number.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:55 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,858,652 times
I was coming in on a flight recently into Grand Rapids, and was surprised by how many homes I saw under construction as we were flying over the Southern part of the city. I haven't seen that in at least a couple of years.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:28 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,765,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I was coming in on a flight recently into Grand Rapids, and was surprised by how many homes I saw under construction as we were flying over the Southern part of the city. I haven't seen that in at least a couple of years.
Well, that's GREAT to hear.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:41 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,164,646 times
To be honest it doesn't seem to be improving in Genesee county, but I'm glad to hear that other parts of the state are seeing building and jobs coming in! I'm not a Michigan native but I like it here.

I work in home improvement (and freelance writing, but that's unrelated to the Michigan economy) and friends in the business and I have seen a little uptick in work calls. Slight, but we are getting more work than we were two years ago. On the other hand, many people I know are charging less because of the influx of people willing to work for very cheap, and I've dropped my prices as much as possible just to keep my helper and I busy.

If the city of Flint gets a bailout from the state, it might help this area.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:03 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,858,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Well, that's GREAT to hear.
I know, I had forgotten what Tyvek looked like. (it used be everywhere)

Old 01-06-2011, 04:20 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,607,508 times
Quote:
I know, I had forgotten what Tyvek looked like. (it used be everywhere)
I know!

I worked for a lumber yard from 2001-2005. I actually watched the building boom grind to a halt before my eyes. We were super busy when I started, and the job was slow and boring when I left. I remember when builders were building spec houses to sell wherever they could buy a chunk of land, and then suddenly they couldn't sell them anymore. I felt bad for those guys.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:33 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,607,508 times
I think I might've noticed a subtle sign that things are picking up around here a couple of days ago.

The CSX train tracks between Grand Rapids and Detroit used to be very busy a decade ago. But since the recession started, and especially in the last three years, there has been very little train traffic. The trains that I did see were very short.

A couple of days ago I was stopped by the longest train that I've seen on those tracks in years, probably 50-plus cars. While I was sitting there waiting for it, I was thinking "this used to happen all of the time!" But the tracks have been eerily quiet during the last few years. Could this be a sign that freight is starting to move and things are picking up? I hope so.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:27 PM

76 posts, read 122,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I think I might've noticed a subtle sign that things are picking up around here a couple of days ago.

The CSX train tracks between Grand Rapids and Detroit used to be very busy a decade ago. But since the recession started, and especially in the last three years, there has been very little train traffic. The trains that I did see were very short.

A couple of days ago I was stopped by the longest train that I've seen on those tracks in years, probably 50-plus cars. While I was sitting there waiting for it, I was thinking "this used to happen all of the time!" But the tracks have been eerily quiet during the last few years. Could this be a sign that freight is starting to move and things are picking up? I hope so.
That really is a true indicator, along with more big rigs on the highways. I have noticed a slight increase also, and being in the construction industry here in Michigan things are improving slowly. I think you will see more residential project in the next couple years - steady, not crazy fast like '02-04, but steady. There are definitely less construction professionals in the state than 2 years ago, so those that are here and weathered the storm are doing better, and some are actually pretty busy. I believe our economy here will improve, but at a completely different pace than we were used to in the early part of the decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan