Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:05 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,360,554 times

Advertisements

As promised, here is a thread where everyone who has anything negative to say can have at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 09:09 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,908,211 times
Thanks! Let me be the first.

What I don't like about Michigan. While we have Great Schools, fantastic scenery and over-all very friendly people; we continue to elect morons to send to Lansing. Other than that, I would have to spend too much time trying to come up with something to gripe about. No matter, with a few of the posters we have here, this should be about 200 pages long by tomorrow afternoon.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:02 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,328,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post

What I don't like about Michigan. While we have Great Schools, fantastic scenery and over-all very friendly people; we continue to elect morons to send to Lansing. Other than that, I would have to spend too much time trying to come up with something to gripe about. No matter, with a few of the posters we have here, this should be about 200 pages long by tomorrow afternoon.
ITA. Morons in Lansing + morons in Washington = one big mess!

That's about all that I have to offer to this thread except to say that if I hear the name Sam Riddle on my nightly news one more time, my TV will be out in the front yard.

Okay, Michigan bashers, this is your thread. Have at it.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:08 AM

51 posts, read 78,588 times
Yet again many want to STAY here in Michigan we are not bashing when we are looking for better jobs and a better life overall but for many that have what they want great but for many that are not visiting forums like this that are ouit work 2 or even 3 part jobs to makes end meet you are only going to have a small amount like me wondering wehen things are going to get better as for better employment. As I stated in other posts that jobs should have been a higher priority for the Federal and State Goverment but again they have too many other issues to deal with along with creating an enviroment so new and better jobs can be created. The Odd thing is the unions are starting to change but for the most part these days it is a Business, you can just work anywhere in the state if you are in a Union you have to go to each locals area and sign in and they get to take $$ out of your check and they don't have to forward it to your local union until the end of the year. So you would have 2 Employers the Union and the pace you are actual working just what I have heard from friends that are in unions then add to it that the comanies that are union are like temp hiring agancies these days you could work a weeke for them or a month or any period of time and when the work runs out you are back out of a job and back to the hall to sign the book. The odd thing is today most don't work for a whole year but maybe 1/2 or 3/4 of the year working many different places and not all have the same way things work, one place may required you to do this be at the job site at 7am even if it is an 1.5 hour ride from your house or hall and you are on your time while others might tell you you can leave the job site for lunch because they are concerned you might be involved in an accident and the could be held liabile the comapny that is and so on. Then you have what you can and can't do like carrying something if your personal vehicle a part or a special tool. You get jumped by trying to help get the jump done but you are to be compensated for carrying something and you get all kinds of greif from the hardline union people for doing it. But yes Unions are highly paid and that is what drtives the wages out of the state and now that the UAW has the two tier wages others will have to follow but they will be fighting it tooth and nail because they know they can afford to give up that money. But when you are in the union long enough you get sub pay and many like that especially these days you just have to work for so long and so often and continue paying dues to keep you insurance and stuff. I hear it all the time how you have to play the game from those that just want to work. many life is not a game and having to have two employers is just an added hassle but the game works in you favor if you know what the rules are... But for me life is too short to being playing games they have to to earn a living but that is Michigan. Add to that how many that are off of the union and take no union jobs to help them make it through and cover the bills until they get the call to go back. That is just one of the double standards that the union knows goes on and yet they are going to truly enforce it that is why right now they are losing some members because they can't cover the dues and have no income. They say it was only to be a year till many get back to work but now they are not sure about how long it will be. Like many they are taking jobs that are non union to make it...

But there is a lot of thing that the union did that was good but now it has changed a lot a lot of rules that some don't follow or abide by like side work etc... But again that is why so many companies are coming here and if they do they build plants outside of the strong holds of the unions so they6 are required to be union. Like a auto parts plant in Marysville that supplies axles. I have to go to work but there are many things wrong with the economy and state and it will be a slow recovery and for many we will be left behind because when we are in a recession it takes a a while to get back to a decent wage and the longer you are out the longer that will be...

As for the over all jobs just look at the MTB and you will see that most of the jobs are under 10.00 an hours so how can someone live off that sure kids living at home with no real bills maybe but sometime you have to get out and move on and today that is not the case many are moving back in with mom and dad because they have student loans that you have to poay off...

So it is a bleak place but I am still here and trying to make it day by day it is hard but that is life here in Michigan for some of us...

Newaygo1

Old 02-04-2010, 05:54 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,914,904 times
Yes it is tough, no one is saying it is not tough. But for those who fight it out and make it through, I guarantee they will be a stronger person.
All of us who complain about the downers are not saying it is not tough. We just want you to stay off every single thread, no matter what its about, telling everyone how bad Michigan sucks. Besides, even though these may be the toughest times most of us have ever seen, Being negative and depressed will change NOTHING! Your body and mind are amazing. When you do nothing but think doom, gloom, depression, and negativity, you will most likely fail in whatever it is you are trying to do. At least if you stay positive and focused...you have a chance.

Last edited by michmoldman; 02-04-2010 at 06:45 AM..

Old 02-04-2010, 06:33 AM

447 posts, read 1,247,559 times
So what makes this different from all the other posts where people complain and point fingers, then do nothing?

I'm done with negativity and bitching. It's time to get out, volunteer, run for office, play with your kids, go to church and live life to the fullest. If you can't do it here, then get the hell out and do it somewhere else!

Old 02-04-2010, 06:35 AM

809 posts, read 1,954,187 times
The greatest decisions, ideas and inventions are born out of times of despair and frustration. Man is not at his best when all is well but when the climb is steep.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:47 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,399,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post

Yes, I agree!!! It is because the voting block of Detroit and a few other large cities out number the rest of the state.

They can't see what the failed large cities have in common. Years of Democratic leadership.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:59 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,328,856 times
You know, I can really understand when people come here and post about how the only jobs out there pay extremely low hourly wages that one can't live on in terms of having a house payment, a car payment, groceries, gas, etc. That's true in many cases and very, very frustrating. But what gets me is when people post here about low pay in Michigan forcing them to move to other states, but the states they are talking about moving to don't pay any better! Who here really thinks that right to work states like Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Arizona, et al. would pay better? And who says that even low paying jobs are any easier to find there? PLEASE people, before you start going on about how your golden ticket is somewhere in the sun belt, at LEAST read the forums for those states, ask questions, do some reading. Things are not any better there! I'll use an example that I know from personal experience--move to Phoenix (along with every other disgruntled Midwesterner who is fed up with shoveling snow) and let us know how that job search goes. Or, to save you time, just go to the Phoenix forum on this site and ask the locals about the economy there.

I know it's tough here, but folks, it's tough all over. This is not a one state recession/depression!

Old 02-04-2010, 07:05 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,914,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
You know, I can really understand when people come here and post about how the only jobs out there pay extremely low hourly wages that one can't live on in terms of having a house payment, a car payment, groceries, gas, etc. That's true in many cases and very, very frustrating. But what gets me is when people post here about low pay in Michigan forcing them to move to other states, but the states they are talking about moving to don't pay any better! Who here really thinks that right to work states like Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Arizona, et al. would pay better? And who says that even low paying jobs are any easier to find there? PLEASE people, before you start going on about how your golden ticket is somewhere in the sun belt, at LEAST read the forums for those states, ask questions, do some reading. Things are not any better there! I'll use an example that I know from personal experience--move to Phoenix (along with every other disgruntled Midwesterner who is fed up with shoveling snow) and let us know how that job search goes. Or, to save you time, just go to the Phoenix forum on this site and ask the locals about the economy there.

I know it's tough here, but folks, it's tough all over. This is not a one state recession/depression!
Your exactly right. I think most of it has to do with cold and snow. Most people seem to complain more during the winter because they really dont have much to do BUT complain. Just because its cold and somewhat snowy, does not mean everywhere warm has it better people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan