Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 01:45 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,497,286 times

Advertisements

What Michigan needs to get its budget on an even keel without raising taxes is to deal with the uncomfortable reality that we have a higher incarceration rate than our neighbors. Plenty of inmates who could be safely paroled are refused time and again. The state prison population skyrocketed during Engler's twelve year governorship, yet that hasn't translated into a feeling of security for the public.

CAPPS has made many valuable recommendations on this subject:

Citizens Alliance on Prisons & P

but unfortunately legislators are addicted to tough-on-crime rhetoric and drop any suggestions of reform like a hot potato.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 02:38 PM

65 posts, read 234,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
What Michigan needs to get its budget on an even keel without raising taxes is to deal with the uncomfortable reality that we have a higher incarceration rate than our neighbors. Plenty of inmates who could be safely paroled are refused time and again. The state prison population skyrocketed during Engler's twelve year governorship, yet that hasn't translated into a feeling of security for the public.

CAPPS has made many valuable recommendations on this subject:

Citizens Alliance on Prisons & P

but unfortunately legislators are addicted to tough-on-crime rhetoric and drop any suggestions of reform like a hot potato.
As a result of this Michigan is one of the safest states to raise children. Statistically compared to the rest of the country we are a very safe state.

I say keep it that way. If you break a law, that's the fault of the law breaker... not the victims, or the innocent people respecting the laws and being responsible citizens.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedekock View Post
As a result of this Michigan is one of the safest states to raise children. Statistically compared to the rest of the country we are a very safe state.
I would question the credibility of those statistics, and I would question the causal relationship you're drawing.

Quote:
I say keep it that way. If you break a law, that's the fault of the law breaker... not the victims, or the innocent people respecting the laws and being responsible citizens.
That's a vacuous statement. You could say the same thing if we executed people for jaywalking. By that statement no sentence could ever be called excessive. As for "victims", we have plenty of folks in prison for long stretches for victimless crimes.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:50 PM

106 posts, read 573,552 times
Default Lock them up!!

We have a high incarceration rate because we have so many thieving, cold blooded criminals in this state, especially in the City of Detroit.

Read the papers or watch the 1100pm news.
I guarantee there is a story at least once a week about some parolee who just got out terrorizing folk.
For example the poor fellow from Buchemis Pizza who was shot in the face by someone "just released from prison" while mopping the floor.
Ever hear of Selapak. He injected battery acid in the veins of his victim just for kicks.

No jobs in this state for us law abiding citizens, the unemployment rate is even higher for felons, what is a starving guy supposed to do?

Engler is not a fault, the individuals who commit the crimes are.
If you are concerned about reforms, I say bring the crooks to your neighborhood. You live next door to every sex offender, dope dealer and thug in this state.

Last edited by mike jones; 10-07-2007 at 04:46 PM..

Old 10-07-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike jones View Post
We have a high incarceration rate because we have so many thieving, cold blooded criminals in this state, especially in the City of Detroit.
I have no reason to believe that Michigan is any more depraved than Wisconsin, Illinois or Ohio, nor that Detroit is more depraved than Milwaukee, Chicago or Cleveland.

Quote:
I guarantee there is a story at least once a week about some parolee who just got out terrorizing folk.
For example the poor fellow from Buchemis Pizza who was shot in the face by someone "just released from prison" while mopping the floor.
Ever hear of Selapak. He injected battery acid in the veins of his victim just for kicks.
I used to live less than two miles from that Buscemi's. Believe me, I heard of it. Using sensational crimes as a basis for public policy is not sound.

Quote:
Engler is not a fault, the individuals who commit the crimes are.
If you are concerned about reforms, I say bring the crooks to your neighborhood. You live next door to every sex offender, dope dealer and thug in this state.
I already mentioned that vast numbers of inmates are locked up for non-violent crimes, and it is those whom the reforms should target.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:25 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,649,682 times
Michigan ought to decriminalize marijuana and make it the "lowest enforcement priority." But violent criminals should probably be getting HARSHER sentences, not more lenient ones.

Michigan's overall homicide rate in 2006 was 7.1 per 100,000 people - this is well ABOVE the national average of 5.7 per 100,000 for that same year. That's unacceptably high, and it indicates that, if anything, Michigan is far too SOFT on crime.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:43 PM

999 posts, read 4,530,973 times
I don't mind paying more taxes for more prisons.

As far as MJ, I don't know anyone in who is in prison for using marijuana.

What would you suggest we do with felons who steal cars, embezzle money, deal drugs, commit burglaries??? NOT send them to prison? No thanks. I'll pay more taxes for more prisons.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:26 PM

265 posts, read 815,027 times
Michigan has a high rate of recidivism. I do not feel any safer knowing that the person who was just released after serving their sentence is no different behaviorally, than when the were first convicted. Currently, prisoners are just warehoused with very little in rehabilitation, and when they are finally released, there are very few supports. Because of this, it becomes all to easy for another crime to be committed, especially since they've had little incentive to change their previous way of thinking. Another crime, another victim, more time in court, and the taxpayers shelling out more money.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Michigan's overall homicide rate in 2006 was 7.1 per 100,000 people - this is well ABOVE the national average of 5.7 per 100,000 for that same year. That's unacceptably high, and it indicates that, if anything, Michigan is far too SOFT on crime.
Michigan already has a life sentence for second-degree murder, and life without parole for first-degree murder. We could reinstate the death penalty, but that's a separate argument. A tiny percentage of Michigan inmates are in for murder. Executing them all would be a drop in the bucket, budget-wise.

The real savings would be to put nonviolent offenders on electronic tether, get rid of some categories of crime altogether, like drug possession, and require the state to show a good reason for denials of parole. Has anyone who is responding on this thread actually read any of the materials at the CAPPS website?

Old 10-08-2007, 01:03 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,781,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
I don't mind paying more taxes for more prisons.

As far as MJ, I don't know anyone in who is in prison for using marijuana.

What would you suggest we do with felons who steal cars, embezzle money, deal drugs, commit burglaries??? NOT send them to prison? No thanks. I'll pay more taxes for more prisons.
Actually, embezzlers rarely go to prison. I'm finding that out the hard way. There was a woman in my neighborhood who went to the Big House for embezzling, though. Heh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan