Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2015, 09:11 AM

3 posts, read 4,182 times

Advertisements

I am traveling with my family from Traverse City to Tahquamenon Falls State Park in mid July. We have two small children (5 and 8) and we have never been two either of these places. We have the lodging picked out but I was looking for some advice for both Traverse City and Tahquamenon Falls. Yes, there are plenty of online resources but it's always nice to hear real life experiences and advice.

1. places to eat
2. public beaches
3. gift stores
4. nature walks/trails
5. fishing spots
6. nature/wildlife observation

As for Tahquamenon Falls State Park area, Dad is looking to possibly do some fly fishing. The intent would be to get a couple hours in and get back to my family activities. It would have to be easily accessible so I can get in and out without spending the whole day. Just to get away for a little bit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 03:32 AM

34 posts, read 42,371 times
What area will you be staying at in TC? Along U.S. 31? Sometimes it takes just as long to get "thru" TC as it does to "get" to TC.

If staying along U.S. 31 be aware of a lot of road construction in the area. It hasn't been fun but they are doing everything possible to keep traffic moving.

Don's Drive In on 31 near Four Mile Road is a great restaurant. For upper end dining we like Boones Long Lake Inn but it is way on the other side of Traverse. Beautiful setting and delicious food. Call ahead to see if they have children's menus - it is pricey but delicious food. Fine dining.

State Park and access to beach very near Dons Drive Inn along 31 between Four Mile and Three Mile roads.

These are just a couple of simple suggestions. You can make a full day out of the Sand Dunes -- a bit of a drive but well worth it! The dunes may be difficult to climb for real little ones and the elderly.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:05 AM

1,316 posts, read 748,958 times
I used to work in downtown TC. I would see fly fishermen on the Boardman River right downtown. TC has so many great places to eat with kids. Most places do have kids' menus, since it is a vacation spot. I second Don's Drive In--GREAT shakes & burgers! Another little gem in TC is the Omelette Shop. If you'd like to get some sandwiches & head to the beach, Chef's In is great--loved the Sandpiper & Vegetarian with Turkey. Dish Cafe was a good one, too, as is Bubba's. Sleder's is an old-fashioned up-northy place--fun atmosphere & good food. There's a really good ice cream place my kids loved called Moomer's--you can go see the cows that helped make the ice cream from an observation deck. Sleeping Bear Dunes in Empire is beautiful, but can be hard for little ones--I'd suggest the Pyramid Point Trail instead. It has one of the most beautiful lookouts I've ever been on.

Clyde's in St. Ignace is another drive-in spot with great burgers & shakes. If you prefer a sit-down, Audie's Restaurant in Mackinaw City is really solid--save room for their cheesecake (with raspberries, please!)--it's so good! There is a Visitor's Center at the Mackinac Bridge crossing, on the UP side, that may offer some fishing info, but the Tahquamenon Falls website has good info on where to try. Usually, our parks have info posted or at least available on what's hitting what where for you to try in various locations. Bring plenty of bug spray & some hydrocortisone--the bugs do get thick in the UP! If you head into Sault Ste. Marie, go to Zorba's down on Portage Street--I love their food!

Old 06-11-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paparazziupnorth View Post
What area will you be staying at in TC? Along U.S. 31? Sometimes it takes just as long to get "thru" TC as it does to "get" to TC.

If staying along U.S. 31 be aware of a lot of road construction in the area. It hasn't been fun but they are doing everything possible to keep traffic moving.

Don's Drive In on 31 near Four Mile Road is a great restaurant. For upper end dining we like Boones Long Lake Inn but it is way on the other side of Traverse. Beautiful setting and delicious food. Call ahead to see if they have children's menus - it is pricey but delicious food. Fine dining.

State Park and access to beach very near Dons Drive Inn along 31 between Four Mile and Three Mile roads.

These are just a couple of simple suggestions. You can make a full day out of the Sand Dunes -- a bit of a drive but well worth it! The dunes may be difficult to climb for real little ones and the elderly.
Thank you

Old 06-11-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
I used to work in downtown TC. I would see fly fishermen on the Boardman River right downtown. TC has so many great places to eat with kids. Most places do have kids' menus, since it is a vacation spot. I second Don's Drive In--GREAT shakes & burgers! Another little gem in TC is the Omelette Shop. If you'd like to get some sandwiches & head to the beach, Chef's In is great--loved the Sandpiper & Vegetarian with Turkey. Dish Cafe was a good one, too, as is Bubba's. Sleder's is an old-fashioned up-northy place--fun atmosphere & good food. There's a really good ice cream place my kids loved called Moomer's--you can go see the cows that helped make the ice cream from an observation deck. Sleeping Bear Dunes in Empire is beautiful, but can be hard for little ones--I'd suggest the Pyramid Point Trail instead. It has one of the most beautiful lookouts I've ever been on.

Clyde's in St. Ignace is another drive-in spot with great burgers & shakes. If you prefer a sit-down, Audie's Restaurant in Mackinaw City is really solid--save room for their cheesecake (with raspberries, please!)--it's so good! There is a Visitor's Center at the Mackinac Bridge crossing, on the UP side, that may offer some fishing info, but the Tahquamenon Falls website has good info on where to try. Usually, our parks have info posted or at least available on what's hitting what where for you to try in various locations. Bring plenty of bug spray & some hydrocortisone--the bugs do get thick in the UP! If you head into Sault Ste. Marie, go to Zorba's down on Portage Street--I love their food!
Thank you for all the good info!

Old 06-11-2015, 02:21 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,903,538 times
Being so close to Tahquamenon Falls, I would also go check out Whitefish Point. If you have never been to Lake Superior, you will be in for a treat! There is a Lighthouse and other buildings including a cool maritime museum, but there is a small fee.
In Traverse City there will be no shortage of things to keep you occupied, but try to check out the Grand Traverse Commons.
The Village at Grand Traverse Commons | Shopping, Dining & Living in Traverse City
Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan