Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 09:07 AM

5 posts, read 14,181 times

Advertisements

My Husband is from Michigan, he moved to Houston about 18 years ago... He's wanting to move back this year. Now is a good time for us, but seems not a good time for Michigan. We are a little tired of the Heat, and the hussle and bussle of the big city, the air pollution.. we're wanting to raise our children in a little more of a relaxed enviroment and be closer to family.
We are really worried about the economy up there and are scared that we won't be able to survive. My husband is a Master Electrician, and I am an Accounting Manager/Banker. After reading some of these post on here.. I'm almost ready to throw in the towel and say forget it.. Can anyone give me some encouraging news/comments about wanting to move to Michigan.. I'm a Native Texan and just the move alone is stressful enough to think about.. I don't want to worry about paying my bills and buying food also.. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 09:14 AM

749 posts, read 2,773,583 times
My BIL is an Electrician , owns his own comapny, had to let all but 2 people go due to no work............he lives in the Romeo/Washington Twp area

Old 02-25-2008, 09:27 AM

83 posts, read 387,756 times
I wouldn't think a Master electrician would have much trouble finding work even up here. In the larger cities at least. Is he self employed?

Banking on the other hand might be a problem. But there are banking jobs even in S.E. michigan. Not sure what area but there are some as a friend of ours has had no problems getting interviews (not offers but interviews). You may just have to settle for something less.

What area are you looking to move to?

Old 02-25-2008, 09:32 AM

32 posts, read 79,643 times
I've been self-employed for 20 years (construction) and I'm moving as soon as I can. The construction work has dried up in my area.
Look around and be concerned, Michigan is going to take some time to recover.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:41 AM

5 posts, read 14,181 times
Red face RE: Easing my doubts

We haven't settled on a particular place in Michigan.. We know we'll have to go where to the work is. Seems that most of the jobs in construction trades are in the union.. I don't know that much about the union , but it seems that if everyone is trying to look for work, then the union is probably already overloaded.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:02 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,454,948 times
You have to take a step back and filter what's happening here in MI. The Big 3 are becoming just "3 in the pack." They are still major economic players, but they will likely never dominate the market like in the past. This means they will not be able to single-handedly keep the area thriving. So when you look at the 7% unemployment rate, the extra couple percentage beyond the norm is coming from the younger, unvested employees of the Big 3 (and affiliated companies and dependent stores) getting laid off. THIS is where your tough competition is.

So in addition to the real estate problems that are everywhere, you have a flood of houses owned by these younger, unvested employees. It sucks to be you if you own a house similar to the average house (size, location, etc.) owned by this demographic.

If your husband is experienced and good, he can definitely get a job. You have to ask yourself whether it will be difficult to distinguish yourself from this pack. Many are getting into the trades despite the slowing construction plaguing every locale in the country, but I doubt many are master anythings. Before moving here, I would ask myself whether I can do something that those getting laid off cannot do. Eventually, many of these people will move out of the state, restoring some balance to the economy. Until then, I would assume the worst and evaluate your chances from there. Good luck.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:19 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,867,337 times
There are several large commercial contractors in West Michigan that seem to be doing well, although competition is stiff and they are bidding low to get work. Christman, Wolverine, Lamar, and Rockford come to mind. They also do work all over the Midwest, so they are not totally reliant on Michigan's economy.

I don't know how the state is doing as a whole, but banking and finance hiring is steadily on the rise in West Michigan, even in the latter half of 2007 when the country's financial and mortgage markets were in tatters:

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data - Grand Rapids - Wyoming, Financial Activities sector
(interesting Y2K spike)

Looks good in Lansing/East Lansing too:

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data - Lansing - East Lansing, Financial Activities sector

But I would definitely have employment lined up before moving.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,432 times
Hi,

This is my first post here.

Come on up, Michigan is a wonderful state. Sure unemplyment is 7% but much of that is on the East side of the state.

I think if you do some research you will find areas that are growing on the West side.

Grand Rapids has tons of construction going on.

Traverse City and Petosky are alway growing and they are beautiful areas as well.

Michigan, borders 4 of the 5 Great Lakes (20% of the world's freash water. You will like the big lakes, they are FRESH water inland seas.

Michigan has the worlds largest and finest collection of fresh water sand dunes, some reaching 500 feet tall.

We have the longest bridge in North America (Mackinaw)
The busiest locks in the world (Soo Locks)
You can enjoy all 4 seasons and depending where you live, the weather is different.

I love Michigan,

Tornadoes are minimal
No hurricanes
No mud slides
nothing in the way of earthquakes (very, very minor if at all) I've been here 54 years and never felt one.
Only one some what poisoness snake, nothing at all like Texas.

Come on up, It is Pretty and I'm tired of reading all the bashing that goes on here.

Ron
Kentwood, Michigan a burd of Grand Rapids

Old 02-25-2008, 12:11 PM

418 posts, read 1,785,889 times
We moved here from Texas 8 months ago. I am also a Native Texan, and I gotta tell you: it is HARD living here sometimes. It is so polar opposite from Texas, and you will not find the food you are used to, no matter what people tell you! BUT...I do like it, and I never thought I would. I would take the Texas heat any day over all of this snow and cold, but otherwise it has been nice. The people are friendly and it really is beautiful here.

As far as jobs go, I am probably not much help. We moved here due to a transfer. I would certainly not base your decision on the responses you see on this board, though. There are a lot of angry and disgruntled people here. Understandably so, for many, but still. I have not experienced any of the problems and complaints that many talk about.

Something else to think about. Are you going to buy or rent a home? Even though the prices are WAY down on housing in MI right now, they are still much higher than houses in Texas. We moved from Dallas and had quite the sticker shock when we started looking at houses up here! I don't know what area of Houston you are in, but if you're in a suburb other than The Woodlands, you'll probably experience sticker shock up here, too!

Please feel free to PM me, if you want any further help or information. It is very difficult moving that far away, I know. I miss Texas a lot!

Good luck!

Old 02-25-2008, 12:39 PM

447 posts, read 1,246,596 times
Well, if you're tired of the heat, you chose well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan