Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2018, 05:43 PM

12 posts, read 16,686 times

Advertisements

Hello there,

I'm planning for a short visit to Dearborn MI on the first week of November 2018.
I checked Delta Airline and the ticket was not within my budget. The travel time from Dulles Airport to Detroit was very good though (around 1 hour and 40 minutes). I also checked the bus travel time which was around 16 hours! I cannot do it as my little 18 months child will accompany me! I don't have a car to drive it myself. Kindly share any good ideas you may have. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2018, 07:59 PM

46 posts, read 60,474 times
I'd suggest you check ticket prices out of BWI instead of IAD. Both Southwest and Spirit fly BWI-DTW non-stop. Spirit is no frills and charges for pretty much everything, but you can definitely save a lot of money with them if you are careful and educate yourself about their various fees. If you plan on bringing a lot of luggage, you might go with Southwest because of their two bags free policy.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:23 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
Do you have a driver's license? You can rent a car.
If driving is completely out, you are down to flying or a lengthy trip (bus or train).

Old 09-03-2018, 01:56 AM

3 posts, read 2,163 times
I think you should hire a car to travel. it would be more comfortable for you.

Old 09-03-2018, 04:48 PM

214 posts, read 285,887 times
All good advice! Remember that if you fly (and I was going to suggest BWI as well) - you'll need to rent a car once you arrive.

Old 09-03-2018, 06:17 PM

4,620 posts, read 4,887,043 times
DCA can be cheaper too.

Amtrak from Union Station to Toledo then to Dearborn? It's often more than plane tickets, and will only get you to Toledo. They have shuttle busses to Dearborn. Or you can take the train all the way to Chicago, then another train from Chicago to Dearborn. $90 each way to Toledo + bus, $140 each way via Chicago.
Bus route is 15 hours, overnight.
Via Chicago is 27 hours... cause you've got to spend 5 hours in Chicago.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:42 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,141,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali77 View Post
Hello there,

I'm planning for a short visit to Dearborn MI on the first week of November 2018.
I checked Delta Airline and the ticket was not within my budget. The travel time from Dulles Airport to Detroit was very good though (around 1 hour and 40 minutes). I also checked the bus travel time which was around 16 hours! I cannot do it as my little 18 months child will accompany me! I don't have a car to drive it myself. Kindly share any good ideas you may have. Thanks.
I travel from DC to Detroit quite often. A few things to keep in mind is that you will need a tank and a half of gas and pay tolls along the Pennsylvania and Ohio Turnpike. You are looking at $45 in gas and $35 in tolls each way. It is approximately 8 hours and 20 minutes non stop. Pittsburgh is more or less halfway if you want to split the drive in half with each interval at 4.5 hours. Or split it up in 4 intervals. Breezewood 2hrs, Pittsburgh 2hrs, Cleveland 2hrs, and then Dearborn 2.5hrs. I would avoid driving through Pennsylvania at night as it mountain-driving with moderate curves - nothing horrible but better to do in the day.

With flying, the actual flight time is 1 hour. Basically you go up and then come down and its very quick. You can get round-trip tickets for $270 or so from DCA. Flights from IAD are overpriced. You can find better prices from DCA and BWI. I believe if you fly Southwest, you are allowed one checked luggage with no additional cost.

I hope this helps.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:20 PM

42 posts, read 80,484 times
Hali,
I suggest youi check out Amtrak. The Capitol Limited takes you from DC to Toledo, where Amtrak has a very convenient and inexpensive thruway connector bus to Detroit and Dearborn. It meets the westbound train at the Toledo station, and on your return, takes you from Dearborn to Toledo. That bus is clean, comfortable and has never been crowded when I used it.

I've traveled the Toledo-Pittsburgh Amtrak leg myself numerous times on my way to Lancaster, Pennsylvania. It has always been a pleasure. If you book well in advance you get a sizable discount. I've got a motor vehicle, but I wouldn't even think about driving, least of all in Pennsylvania. By the time you consider the cost of gasoline, tolls, meals and overnight lodging, the train/bus mode beats everything by a wide margin, provided you book far enough in advance to get the discounts. And you do everything through Amtrak - no hassles with different ticketing agencies. You can do this online but I found it much easier to call the toll free line and talk with an Amtrak agent. They've always been patient and helpful with me.

Can't beat the train - zero driving stress and fatigue, no white knuckle syndrome in heavy traffic. Sit back and relax, read, strum your Android and laptop, or sleep. I see young women making this trip with their kids. All the bus and train personnel are very helpful, and passengers always seem to be in good moods and anxious to help others. I believe that's because they're so happy to NOT be driving and not fretting the airline nightmares. I believe you would find people going out of their way to help you with your young child.

Train and bus rest rooms are clean and the CL train has a snack/cafe car though it's prices are crazy. Experienced passengers pack food and carry it with them. Baggage is no problem. I believe the Capitol Limited will check it through for you, or you can carry on. From what I can tell, Amtrak is very liberal on luggage, especially carry on, but you would want to check this.

The only possible negative is the time of day that you'll be traveling. The CL leaves DC around 4:05 PM and gets into Toledo at 5:08 AM. If it's more convenient for you, you could board the train at either Harpers Ferry or Martinsburg, West Virginia.

Returning, you'd leave Toledo a little before midnight and arrive in DC a little after 1 PM the following afternoon.

Usually there are some delays due to the fact that Amtrak does not own all the trackage they use and must yield to freights. However, the delays I've experienced have never been more than an hour. The bus/train connection in Toledo is seamless and simple. At one point, Amtrak guaranteed the bus/train connections, and I believe they still do.

Whatever you do, DON'T even consider the grey dog option.

Last edited by FrenchToast; 09-04-2018 at 07:40 PM..

Old 09-06-2018, 09:29 PM

12 posts, read 16,686 times
Many thanks for all these replies! I got various helpful ideas in each reply. I can now plan properly for my trip.
Your time and information are highly appreciated!

Old 09-09-2018, 01:04 PM

214 posts, read 285,887 times
Great to read the positive review for Amtrak. I used Amtrak for daily commutes on the Keystone Line (Harrisburg or Lancaster to Philly) daily for years, and occasionally headed in to NYC for work. However, I hadn't realized the bus/train connection could take me back to Lancaster for a visit!

With a young child, I'd far prefer the train to driving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: