Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 05:08 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,702,097 times

Advertisements

I have a job opportunity in Kalamazoo. In all honesty, while the job struck me as perfect, the idea of moving to inland Southwest Michigan did not.

I'm one of those educated jerks who loves the sophisticated, open-minded Northeastern cities (lived in Boston, New York, and mostly DC), but did live in Marquette for some time and really loved the natural coastal life up there and the hidden gems of the small city life.

I just visited K-zoo and was quite pleasantly surprised - much larger than I would have thought. Strip mall sprawl aside, the city itself had some very inspiring architecture (what a library!) and an overall very modern and vibrant feel to it with a seemingly open-minded energy.

So, I'm just curious if my impression is accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 05:58 PM

316 posts, read 1,181,414 times
Somewhat, but it is still West Michigan, by defintion not a very open-minded area. You will find that downtown is allright, the rest of the areas are either urban sprawl, or a college area. The sprawl part honestly sucks, nobody seems to understand that except folks that have lived out of the area. The majority of folks that live there, have only lived there and nowhere else.
You won't find it sophisticated, or anything earth shattering. It does have yearly festivals such as rib fest, greek fest, irish fest, etc...but this can get repetitive.
When I lived in k-zoo, any out of state guests remarked that it was similar to Battle Creek in the type of people living there. Dunno if that helps at all.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:00 PM

74 posts, read 287,900 times
The city is open-minded and there is an artistic vibe here. There are over 30,000 college students in the city of only 70,000 so that is a factor. I see bumper stickers that say "keep Kalamazoo weird" and I think that has to do with some of the people who consider themselves hippies, naturists, artists whatever but its very "chilled" here. And there are good bars, music venues, and coffee houses. Its the home of Bell's Eccentric Brewery and the Moped Army.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:13 PM

316 posts, read 1,181,414 times
While I do agree there is a hippy commnuity, upon living there for a few years I can say that the attitudes and thoughts of most people do not qualify as open. Michigan is politically polarized as is much of the nation, but I find that this state in particular cannot find a compromise to it all. I have never found so much political fighting anywhere else, DC included. Kalamazoo is no different. Case in point, I remember a few times being almost assaulted by "open-minded" hippies in my college days there. While certainly qualifying as weird, definately does not qualify as open.
In summary, you have some 30K of college kids that do not know what they want in life, and they are what they are. The adults in the area to my finding are mostly Michigan conservatives, happy with living in a small town driving half an hour to each place.
My comparision is more towards other communities I have found to be very open of any idea, thing to do, etc.. like San Francisco, LA, Chicago even. Compared to the rest of Michigan, Kalamazoo may be somewhat open, but to the rest of the US, I would say no.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:06 AM

Thanks all for the feedback.

It's kind of funny that when people equate "open-minded" with hippies and artists. I think you could count all the hippies on one hand between DC and Boston.

Perhaps I will give it a chance. I'm not looking for earth shattering wild culture. Just not a bunch of bigots. Sounds like at least K-zoo isn't that.

Last edited by Bluefly; 04-04-2008 at 12:45 AM..

Old 04-04-2008, 12:36 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,920,376 times
I can't say I really find hippies open minded :P If you ask me they are closed minded and usually rude, at least most of the college aged ones.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:18 AM

845 posts, read 3,270,733 times
Kalamazoo is as open-minded a place as you will find in West Michigan. This never surprised me though. It has a large state university (29,000 students (http://www.pcsum.org/wmu.html - broken link)), an ultra-liberal private college, and an unrivaled philanthropic base: Kalamazoo Promise offers free college to anyone graduating from Kalamzoo Public Schools, the Kalamazoo Community Foundation is the third largest in the country (per capita).

With that kind of social infrastructure, you should expect Kalamazoo to be an enlightened city, and for its size and location in the world, it really is. It's not, however, San Francisco (or even Ann Arbor)....it's a small oasis (77,000 city, 250,000 metro population) in an ultra-conservative ocean (West Michigan). Or, if you're the ultra-conservative type, it's a small barren field in a wide green pasture. It just depends on your point of view, I suppose.

Don't miss the brewery either. Bell's is a state treasure, located right downtown. I know beer-tourists who have come from as far as Seattle just to visit Bell's.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:01 PM

864 posts, read 1,720,119 times
It amazes me that people seem to be equating liberal to "open-minded" or "enlightened" when the opposite is generally true. Conservative west Michigan is generally live and let live whereas the liberals in my experience have been elitists who look down upon you unless you believe and accept the same things they do.

Mark me as one who sees it as a small barren field. Worked as a consultant for the county government there for a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suydam View Post
Kalamazoo is as open-minded a place as you will find in West Michigan. This never surprised me though. It has a large state university (29,000 students (http://www.pcsum.org/wmu.html - broken link)), an ultra-liberal private college, and an unrivaled philanthropic base: Kalamazoo Promise offers free college to anyone graduating from Kalamzoo Public Schools, the Kalamazoo Community Foundation is the third largest in the country (per capita).

With that kind of social infrastructure, you should expect Kalamazoo to be an enlightened city, and for its size and location in the world, it really is. It's not, however, San Francisco (or even Ann Arbor)....it's a small oasis (77,000 city, 250,000 metro population) in an ultra-conservative ocean (West Michigan). Or, if you're the ultra-conservative type, it's a small barren field in a wide green pasture. It just depends on your point of view, I suppose.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
It amazes me that people seem to be equating liberal to "open-minded" or "enlightened" when the opposite is generally true. Conservative west Michigan is generally live and let live whereas the liberals in my experience have been elitists who look down upon you unless you believe and accept the same things they do.

Mark me as one who sees it as a small barren field. Worked as a consultant for the county government there for a time.

Perhaps it gets to the age old adage of "intolerant of intolerance" that makes such people seem very close minded.

Don't know - haven't lived there yet. Maybe they are all jerks.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:14 PM

218 posts, read 507,789 times
You will certainly get your pick of houses in and around Kalamazoo. The economy sucks, so many people have their houses up for sale, and no one to buy them. All price ranges and areas.

Don't worry about open minded, close minded stuff...people are people no matter where you go. Kzoo has a variety of personalities. Rich, poor, black, white, winners, losers.......come on and join us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan