Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 04:33 PM

504 posts, read 2,175,035 times

Advertisements

I don't know what your husband's job is, but there's also federal jobs. Their only website is: USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site

If he's in a high demand job they may even pay for moving. Check it out. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 07:48 AM

52 posts, read 292,319 times
Thanks so much for all the advice! My husband was a Warehouse Supervisor, worked for the same company for 17 years before they downsized. He also has a Bachelors degree in Business.

For those that said, just pack up and move. How can you find a place to live or purchase without employment if you don't have money to prepay a lease?

We are looking to relocate to North Carolina, Georgia, or Florida, but open to anywhere at this point. I have family in GA and FL, but not that close to them to really ask them to help and was brushed off when I told them we were looking to relocate to the area.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:27 PM

133 posts, read 357,456 times
I hate to say this,but Vegas is alway's looking.Not the best place to raise a family,trust me.The money here is phenomenal,I guess it's a trade off.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:44 PM

51 posts, read 212,865 times
Most cities have their newspapers online, start looking at the classifieds.

Anchorage, yes Alaska, is in need of Police Officers and they are recruiting in, here, in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Anchorage police seek Cedar Rapids recruits | GazetteOnline.com - Cedar Rapids, Iowa City (http://www.gazetteonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080416/NEWS/836665029/-1/rss01&rssfeed=rss01 - broken link)

Rockwell Collins has over 500 openings for engineers, other jobs as well. Careers (http://www.rockwellcollins.com/careers/index.html - broken link)

Eastern Iowa will be in need of 16,500 workers in the next 3 years. Region short on workers | GazetteOnline.com - Cedar Rapids, Iowa City (http://www.gazetteonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080409/BUSINESS/602836649/-1/rss17&rssfeed=rss17 - broken link)

Unemployment is low in Iowa and there are jobs here.
It may not be a glamorous place but if you're looking for jobs, they're here.

Last edited by Joanie B; 04-25-2008 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: added links

Old 04-27-2008, 12:47 PM

316 posts, read 1,181,352 times
Everyone looks at job postings. Depending on the line of work he is in, why not research a company he has an interest in, and call them up directly to see if they would be interested. Waiting for monster and all of that is what everyone does. Showing you just want to talk to a company you like shows initiative, especially if the job is far out of state. It takes guts to do that. Try it.
Best advice I ever had when relocatting out of Michigan, burn your bridges so you have no choice but to put your head down and succeed. Sticking around and waiting while holding onto the past won't help. Sometimes it is best to just jump in and go for it.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:02 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,614,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princessemichigan View Post
Thanks so much for all the advice! My husband was a Warehouse Supervisor, worked for the same company for 17 years before they downsized. He also has a Bachelors degree in Business.
I just caught this off searching and I am very surprised that your hubby is not able to find a job w/ 17+ yrs of experience, plus a Bachelors degree, which really is much more qualified to do the job just w/ the time he has in the warehouse environment.

If I was you, try looking on craigslist.org and search under "warehouse supervisor", if nothing in the Michigan area, then flock south, if those are the cities to choose from, I would Choose Georgia. By any chance, would it be Atlanta? If so, go! I know he will find something there.

Good luck and I wish the best for your family!

Old 04-28-2008, 08:43 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deslok View Post
Everyone looks at job postings. Depending on the line of work he is in, why not research a company he has an interest in, and call them up directly to see if they would be interested. Waiting for monster and all of that is what everyone does. Showing you just want to talk to a company you like shows initiative, especially if the job is far out of state. It takes guts to do that. Try it.
Best advice I ever had when relocatting out of Michigan, burn your bridges so you have no choice but to put your head down and succeed. Sticking around and waiting while holding onto the past won't help. Sometimes it is best to just jump in and go for it.

I knew some guys once who couldn't find jobs, so they packed up a car and headed out, no particular destination but they headed in the direction of Phoenix because they heard there would be jobs there. One guy said they stopped for food at a 7-11 and got to talking with the manage, he told him they were going somewhere for a job and the manager said, "you want a job? because I'll give you a job", so this guy grabbed his belongings and waved bye to his buddies.

I think though with young kids that isn't as smart to do, if you're single and free you can camp out, sleep in the car easily enough but with kids you'd need a bit more security. I would say the most employable spouse would do that more easily and once the paychecks start coming in send for the rest.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:39 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
90% of available jobs are NOT listed in the papers. Get online to research companies that use people with your skill set, and fire off resumes to likely-looking places in the healthiest states -- in the Southwest, and on the West Coast, Alaska excluded.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:05 PM

14 posts, read 64,138 times
I was recently listening to NPR and some guy *sorry I don't remember who, I sort of just zoned in and heard the end of what he was saying* was discussing Indiana's economy and saying how great it was...I'm not a reliable source but that may be something to look into?

I'm moving to CT (for a job, of course) in two weeks and have been taking full advantage of the website craigslist.com The job posting section usually has some interesting, offbeat type of jobs listed. If you haven't worked for 8 years, but have been raising your kids, then what about a position at a daycare center, etc?

I'm looking into making some extra money working for a guy I found advertising on craigslist for work-out-of-your-home-online stuff that you might be interested in. It sounds basically like you do the dirty work for him, send him what he needs, and then he sends you a paycheck right away; and in turn he makes a lot more money off of it. But it pays $20/hour and it might help you from slipping under water. If you want more information about it, message me and I'll send you his website and email address -- I don't want to post it on here because I don't really have the right to plaster his info around.

I feel for you and hope that you figure something out soon. Good luck with everything!

Old 04-29-2008, 09:17 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIcouple View Post
I was recently listening to NPR and some guy *sorry I don't remember who, I sort of just zoned in and heard the end of what he was saying* was discussing Indiana's economy and saying how great it was...I'm not a reliable source but that may be something to look into?

I'm moving to CT (for a job, of course) in two weeks and have been taking full advantage of the website craigslist.com The job posting section usually has some interesting, offbeat type of jobs listed. If you haven't worked for 8 years, but have been raising your kids, then what about a position at a daycare center, etc?

I'm looking into making some extra money working for a guy I found advertising on craigslist for work-out-of-your-home-online stuff that you might be interested in. It sounds basically like you do the dirty work for him, send him what he needs, and then he sends you a paycheck right away; and in turn he makes a lot more money off of it. But it pays $20/hour and it might help you from slipping under water. If you want more information about it, message me and I'll send you his website and email address -- I don't want to post it on here because I don't really have the right to plaster his info around.

I feel for you and hope that you figure something out soon. Good luck with everything!
What surprised me -- Craiglist also has standard routine run-of-the-mill good jobs posted. I had never checked it for jobs figuring it would be those stuff envelopes from home and get real rich kinds of jobs and it was not that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan