Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 02:55 PM

38 posts, read 126,434 times

Advertisements

So after much searching the Arizona stuff in this forum we have decided that it is just to expensive to buy a home there.
So I guess it's here we stay in Michigan. We want to find out just where there are any jobs? We know we will be moving from the Jackson area but to where?
North would be an option. OK anyone with jobs knowledge help us.
I have Veterinarian Assistance experience and the husband a factory worker.
Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 03:08 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,858,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy Kemmer View Post
So after much searching the Arizona stuff in this forum we have decided that it is just to expensive to buy a home there.
So I guess it's here we stay in Michigan. We want to find out just where there are any jobs? We know we will be moving from the Jackson area but to where?
North would be an option. OK anyone with jobs knowledge help us.
I have Veterinarian Assistance experience and the husband a factory worker.
Thanks for the help.
Do you have family in another area of Michigan? I think you'd stand a better chance finding a job if you know someone who knows someone (so to speak). Answering job board help wanted ads is a waste of time. "Factory job" is also kind of vague. Plastics, metals, medical instruments, auto parts, quality technician, plant manager?

Old 08-13-2008, 03:46 PM

209 posts, read 658,034 times
the west side of the state is doing better than the east. grand rapids is a good place to start looking.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:24 PM

837 posts, read 2,335,339 times
Housing in AZ is very inexpensive at the moment. Like anything it all depends on where you are. I know of 1500 sq ft homes built in 2003 that are starting at $80k.
There is just so much competition for every job posted in MI, it makes it really really hard. I moved to AZ last year and have been renting till the prices are right. I'm ready to buy now. I still own my home in Ypsilanti, and honestly don't know what I'm going to do with, but thank gawd for the good tenants that pay their rent on time

Old 08-13-2008, 04:28 PM

Red face Thanks Unclejake,

I kinda thought of the Grand Rapids area also.
I know there are lots of veterinarians in GR and as far as factory's my husband has experience as a Chrome Plater, and thread grinder, has worked for Clark Equipment and Good Year among others.
I will mention that area to him.
Thanks again.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:38 PM

Red face For Trudawg,

Where in Arizona are homes for that price?
We have looked at Lake Havasu City, Surprise, all around Bullhead, Seems like they are all at 300,000.00 for anything decent. Areas around Phoenix.
Is there really some hope to go to Arizona ?

Old 08-13-2008, 04:46 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
Not that I can find. I have two masters degrees and 18 years of engineering experience. My second masters is in education. I'm certified to teach chemistry, physics and math. I've had two interviews for math positions but wasn't hired for either one.

So, if anyone has any leads on either engineering or teaching jobs in SE Michigan, PLEASE let me know.

They keep saying there are jobs here but you need an education. I have quite an education and can't find a job. There are just too many people out looking.

Are there any good job fairs coming up in SE Michigan?

Old 08-13-2008, 09:11 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,483,407 times
Quote:
I'm certified to teach chemistry, physics and math. I've had two interviews for math positions but wasn't hired for either one.
you're ahead of me. I'm in teaching, and in a year and a half of searching haven't gotten a single interview. I decided to try leaving in December where I can get my life going.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:48 AM

693 posts, read 2,258,517 times
Default Speaking of college degrees....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Not that I can find. I have two masters degrees and 18 years of engineering experience. My second masters is in education. I'm certified to teach chemistry, physics and math. I've had two interviews for math positions but wasn't hired for either one.

So, if anyone has any leads on either engineering or teaching jobs in SE Michigan, PLEASE let me know.

They keep saying there are jobs here but you need an education. I have quite an education and can't find a job. There are just too many people out looking.

Are there any good job fairs coming up in SE Michigan?
I recently saw one of the most contradicting commercials the other day from Baker College..in their advertisement they state "80% of new job openings do NOT require a Bachelors degree", then they go on to say how prepared you'll be for the "job market" in Michigan WITH one of their degrees! That has been Lansing's excuse to our sky high unemployment "not enough qualified candidates" but any further explanation of what "qualified" means never materializes.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:53 AM

693 posts, read 2,258,517 times
Default Considerd A2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy Kemmer View Post
I kinda thought of the Grand Rapids area also.
I know there are lots of veterinarians in GR and as far as factory's my husband has experience as a Chrome Plater, and thread grinder, has worked for Clark Equipment and Good Year among others.
I will mention that area to him.
Thanks again.
In my own searches for better employment I have noticed several companies in the Ann Arbor area hiring for light industrial, and fabrication. I have family that works for UM, and they are always looking for physical plant operations personnel, maintenance, construction and so on. If your husband can do CNC or automation there is opportunity in the Ann Arbor/Dexter area.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan