Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2008, 07:48 AM

112 posts, read 305,268 times

Advertisements

For Retailers, 'Tis the Season to Be Nervous - TIME

Do you agree with that prediction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 09:32 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,904,258 times
Others will pop up, hopefully with better management. Maybe they will buy their products to sell from the U.S
Maybe tons of made in America stores will pop up!

Old 11-26-2008, 06:45 PM

866 posts, read 4,259,179 times
I agree with michmoldman above, just because companies such as circuit city go away, does not mean that this is a bad thing. Others will emerge when the economy eventually turns around. I saw these electronics stores and probably office supply stores next start to go bankrupt along time ago, how many electronics and office supply stores can one city really have! There are way to many around. When I rarely buy new electronics I go to Costco or Meijers. The same goes for office supplies. I went to Office Max a few months ago, but that's about it.

As for the older more historic companies doing badly, this is kind of sad. Like the companies like Macy's and Lord & Taylor that have been around for ever. The truth is, nobody can afford to go there with their way over priced clothing. I can get the same shirt at Marshall's, Kmart, or Meijers that you can get at Macy's or Lord & Taylor for a fraction of the price. It may not be the same brand, but so what, I don't care, at least it's a new shirt.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:50 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,983,743 times
I don't forsee retailers bouncing back from their pre-recession numbers. This will be major challenge to towns dealing with empty buildings.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:11 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,946,946 times
There will be pockets in Michigan , just like in other states , that will do better. Overall , your numbers look reasonable. The places that gain jobs , will be overwhelmed with outsiders wanting in. Not unlike the 30s , the dust bowl , and all the Okies moving west to California. I think the areas that are most immune from total disaster , will be the UP , and areas that do not depend on wealthy tourist., both in the UP and west Michigan. east Michigan is doomed.,and , its not just the lack of work , its more so , the lack of infrastructure dollars, taxes , when the plants all close. Where you have a lot of people , you need a lot of services, that will be the biggest problem , along with the haves and the have nots. People get real nasty when they are hungry. At lest in the rural areas there is more of a chance that the folks will be self reliant, and will stick together for the common good. I have seen it already here in the UP. the banks are still lending , to locals , if they have good credit , and , the merchants feel the same way.The choices will be less , we will have to learn to get along with less , but ,.....we have done that before.......

Old 11-27-2008, 09:05 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,421,104 times
Those numbers seem extremely high. I don't think this recession will be another Great Depression. The economy's already showing signs of recovery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan